crank case vacuum pump?

jeff115

Any one run crank case vacuum pumps on there trucks?
All I can find is good things about them on gas cars, I can only assume you would get the same results on a diesel. I just haven't ever heard of one on a diesel.

I run a electric vacuum pump out of an M3 connected to an exhaust pitot, routed through an oil separator tank. It doesn't really build that much vacuum. But with running 90psi of boost, I don't have breather issues. And it does a good job of preventing oil leaks caused by crankcase pressure.

That's what I'm hoping to accomplish. And help the rings seat better while breaking in the cam.

There have been some write-ups on using the BMW vacuum pumps. They hold up fairly well, and are only $50-75 on ebay. The exhaust pitot just gives it a little extra umpf.

You may have to set different levels of vacuum to see which is best for your application, but, removing the crankcase gases will release power left on the table. Its just a matter of how much is there to release. Some apps don't really need this though.

What is an "exhaust pitot"? Serious question, never heard of such a thing....

not sure if it works better on a diesel since there's higher drive pressure but on a N/A gas motor those exhaust evac things are a complete joke, doesn't take them long to overcome the tiny bit of vacuum

Think Bernouli effect. I think this is something where even just a little can go a long way.

not sure if it works better on a diesel since there's higher drive pressure but on a N/A gas motor those exhaust evac things are a complete joke, doesn't take them long to overcome the tiny bit of vacuum

I know on the industrial natural gas engines I work on this method works great. You have to use a valve to regulate the vacuum or it will be to much. When I get mine completed I'll try to get some psi/vacuum readings.

I know on the industrial natural gas engines I work on this method works great. You have to use a valve to regulate the vacuum or it will be to much. When I get mine completed I'll try to get some psi/vacuum readings.

I believe that to be true, but on a high horsepower na gas motor we have found them to be a waste of time. Once you get semi high in rpm there more pressure than vacuum. We run a big vacuum pump and 4 scavenges on the dry sump holds damn near 15in hg at over a 1,000hp and above 10k rpm

Back