crank no start....HELP!!!

moss765

We have a 2011 6.7L in the shop currently with a crank no start issue. I'm not sure how rail pressure is monitored on the scanner as far as kPa, mPa, or psi, but truck requires 4500 to start. Right now we are only getting 800. We bought a new cp4 pump for it and put it on and still having same issue, we took old pump apart and found metal shavings in it and from what we have seen on the internet once those pumps go out they send metal shavings through the entire fuel system and have to replace injectors, lines, rails, pump, and sensors. We have checked sensors to make sure nothing was plugged and nothing was. We started to clamp off the return lines to see if anything was returning to much fuel and not allowing it to build pressure and it did raise pressure a lil bit but not much. Next we pulled fuel rail off driver side and saw some shavings in there and got it all sprayed and cleaned out, put all back together and still nothing! We have tons and tons of hours in this job and haven't got any farther than the day it was dropped off. Injectors are $507/ea from Ford. We are trying everything that we can think of before we put $4,000 worth of injectors in it especially not knowing if that is going to fix it. This is our actual first 6.7L that we have worked on besides maintenance, and all the other shops we have talked to have the same answer as far as they haven't worked on one yet. Is there anything else we are missing, or has anyone ever ran across this issue yet?? We are ready to find a solution and get this truck back to its owner. If anyone has knowledge on this and could point us in the right direction it would greatly be appreciated!!

i have no first hand with the 6.7 but I do know on any diesel if you find metal shavings it is 100% game over for the fuel system/injectors. if you dont replace them and for whatever reason you do get it to run then the end result will likely be a smoked piston. everything after the injection pump needs to be changed weather it fixes the problem or not. you have to fix what you know is bad before you can do any troubleshooting. at the very least the should be sent out for inspection but i have a feeling you would be wasting money at that point.

See thats what we are thinking too, but my tech isnt quite sold on it yet. We found a place that would test them for $50/ea plus shipping. I believe we would be wasting money at that point also. I have done some searching on this issue and I have found quite a few people thats having metal circulated through fuel system. There was one truck that only had 14k on it having the same issue. He took it to Ford and they denied his warranty due to a tiny bit of water in fuel. Sounds like these trucks are going to get interesting here soon since they are finally getting some miles on them. I saw another post where these engines are having rod issues also and having to replace engines already.

Do you not have an injection shop you deal with? They should be able to test the injectors. Our local place charges $50/each also, but that goes toward the cost to replace them if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford has a kit that has everything you need....
Read this carefully.

Ford’s 6.7 Diesel Fuel System

The 6.7 diesel has now been out long enough for independent shops to begin seeing these vehicles come out of warranty. Since this is an all new engine design and there are several new systems on this engine, it is a good time to begin going over some of them. This article will focus on the fuel system.

The 6.7 diesel incorporates a low pressure fuel pump located on the frame rail under the driver’s seat. This pump will produce 48 to 58 PSI of pressure if it is functioning correctly. Ford incorporated a low pressure switch on this engine to tell the computer if the low pressure fuel pump is producing sufficient fuel pressure. If it is not, it will disable the engine from starting and in some cases prevent the engine from even cranking over to protect the high pressure pump from damage (Figure 1). Click Figure 1 below to enlarge.

Figure 1
Figure 1

It is important to note that the low pressure system has a filter housing just like the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels did. When this filter is replaced, the system needs to be bled before attempting to start the engine. In most cases this procedure is simple: turn the key on for 30 seconds, letting the pump run; then shut the key off. Repeat 3 or 4 times. The system should bleed itself during this time. It is also important to note that any debris on the filter can spell disaster for the pump and injectors. Ford has released TSB #11-10-10 on this concern, and has included a photo of the filter and an explanation of the repair. I have received many calls regarding this issue. It is very important to replace the fuel pump and injectors, along with new filters and a complete fuel system flush. The upper fuel filter housing is replaced as an assembly and is not to be taken apart. Though there are three ports on the original filter assembly, the third port has no useful purpose. When a new filter is installed it will only have two ports.

This fuel system also incorporates a pressure and volume control solenoid. The volume control valve is mounted on the high pressure pump. The pressure control valve is mounted on the back of the driver’s side fuel rail. You will also notice the fuel pressure sensor is mounted at the front of the driver’s side fuel rail. The computer uses the volume and pressure control valve to more accurately control fuel pressure during acceleration and deceleration. It should be noted that after a battery disconnect or a PCM reflash, the computer needs to relearn the correct duty cycle for the solenoids. We have experienced some issues with the driver’s side fuel rail. In these cases the entire rail was replaced to fix the concerns.

The high pressure fuel pump is mounted in the front of the engine instead of the rear. This pump has pressures similar to the 6.4L diesel; it takes around 5,000 PSI of pressure to start the engine. When installing a new pump, the unique feature is a timing procedure (Figure 2). Currently there have been very few concerns noted with this pump. If a pump is replaced several relearn procedures need to be done using a factory or equivalent scan tool. You will find fuel system reset procedures in the scan tool. This procedure will be under the ‘powertrain’ section of the factory scan tools, under the ‘function tests’ of Snap-on scan tools, and under the ‘special functions’ of OTC scan tools. Click Figure 2 below to enlarge.

Figure 2
DS_Fig2

Since the fuel injectors on this engine are mounted externally there is no need to remove the valve covers to access or repair the injectors. It is important to note that the steel line going to the injector from the fuel rail is a one-time use only. Once this line is loosened it will need to be replaced. It is also important to note that these injectors have specific programming to the PCM. If an injector is replaced, it has to be programmed into the PCM or driveability concerns will result.

So far this engine’s fuel system hasn’t had a lot of problems unless the fuel is contaminated. We have seen very few injector and/or pump problems; however, we have seen several issues if the customer puts reductant fluid (diesel exhaust fluid) in the diesel fuel tank by mistake. This will usually damage the entire fuel system.

Back