crazy high egts HELP

stangman95

Yesterday I hauled a 11000lb tractor on 4000lb gooseneck, I couldnt try hard enough to keep the egts below 1200*.

The truck has the mods listed in signature. The HT60 exhaust housing is a 26cm housing. Without a load the ht60 will start to make boost when the hx35 is at 6psi.

Yesterday it was everything I had to get the truck to make any power and when it would take off it was rolling smoke. as soon as i dropped the tractor and trailer truck went back to normal. without a load it pulls hard and is pretty quick. Egts will hit 1500 if i really hit it hard at wot but i stay away from that.

Is there anything I can do to help this problem, AFC tuning? I thought with the 26cm housing ht60 the hx35 would light it pretty well, doesnt seem like the case when hauling. What can I do to keep the egts in check with a load and without. truck will cruise interstate at 70mph at 650* egt, but will climb crazy fast if i lay into it. Any educated help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Check for boost leaks in your hoses and i/c. Not educated on twins yet so i am not sure if the set up is right for towing or not.

No signature showing, so I do not know of your other mods. I have twins on mine and to date I have not been able to get it above 1100* while towing.

sounds like your afc is a little loose, you giving it too much fuel down low hindering the spool up

1997 2500 dodge ram diesel. NV4500 swap.4" ex. Tuned AFC. No Plate. 4k gov, custom cut dv, 370's, .030 head gasket, ARP studs HX35/HT60 compound setup. 60psi, 19* timing. Sorry my signature isnt showing up. Here is basically what is done to the truck. Im also in the process of retuning the AFC now that i have the new gov springs and injectors and compound setup. Also the truck made 425hp/780lb ft. on dyno before I started messing with the AFC.
Could my whole problem be The acf spring to loose? I know those torque numbers are way off.

Last edited:
With the hg that thick are you low on cr? With what you have I think you should be more towards 550-600? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe a little more timing would be helpful.

hes asking about towing and he has marine injectors and god knows what dv's........

^^ from what i have seen, afc tuning ends up being something completely different to each different guy with a screwdriver

i missed the sig when i read his first post

towing over 500hp - not a good idea

you can probably get away with it by cutting the fuel way back on the bottom end, just enough to start making boost (thats how it should be tuned anyways if its a street truck)

so what kind of dv's are in this thing? who cut them?

Last edited:
Towing over 500HP can be done, and done well, it is all in the set-up and how you drive when towing. When you have a "tuned" afc you never know what you are getting. I suggest having a pro tune your pump for towing and daily driving, less fuel down low and once the charger are on top of it bring on the fuel.

the delivery valves were 131s. I am a machinest as a second job. I took a set of 191s and took some messurements and cut the 131s close to the 191s just not as aggresive. when i changed the DVs from my stock 181s the egts didnt really change a whole lot. I gained acceleration and about 5psi overall but egts didnt really get any higher. they were already high lol.

Also, I understand How the AFC works, the mechanics of it and how it opperates, I just really need to spend a lot of time dialing it in right.

yeah it was below 2000rpm. 5th gear at 55mph was 1750rpm or so. although when i went to 4th it would cool down slightly but still pretty high. maybe 1150* or so.

What are you egt's at 65? Is 65 over the speed limit?

I also think you need should rethink/redo the afc tuning for starters

yeah it was below 2000rpm. 5th gear at 55mph was 1750rpm or so. although when i went to 4th it would cool down slightly but still pretty high. maybe 1150* or so.

bingo

1150 is not warm, a 12v below 2000rpm with any fueling upgrades is going to warm up

Yes sir. To tow that weight at that hp, drive pressure (rpm) is key. Keep air moving, it will be fine.

so if anything I need to adjust on the afc a little to help the fueling amount with low boost levels and keep the rpms up if I haul anything like that again? normally all I haul is my race car to the track. so no weight at all really. the tractor is a rarety.

if you turn the pre boot screw out until you have just enough fuel to light your turbo without smoke - your truck will pick up and take off about 9 times faster than it does now

then after you set the boost screw, adjust the star wheel to move progressively with boost, not too loose, not too tight

Definitely keep the rpm's above 1750 when towing. :rockwoot:

Back