Critique my first hook of the season... Need some advice.

No i wouldnt! Dont forget Tory, we have put our own pulls on for year! I have seen unfair! Now what didnt of people would we be if we climed in a class with a bunch of stock trucks!? Its just something to think about! And if Brad, and leonard want to do that, well thats on there shoulders. You did the right thing at St, Charles, but you understand why those guys might have been upset if you pulled against them. Weather trucks are teched or not there will be cheaters. We have the same problem with a couple trucks down this way too, hope they all feel good about there wins!

STS is a great choice, so are the BFGs, but if your goin to keep driving on the street, i would keep the BFGS

Yeah... Thats what I was thinkin.

I enjoy driving my truck on the street too much to put some of these other nastier tires on.

I'm quickly learning you can't have your cake and eat it too in this sport.

Either you have a puller or a driver... Not both.

Which kinda sucks.

I've seen fair and unfaire as well, and I am not gonna take prize money away from someone if I was cheating. I have never cheated to win. When I have hooked with stock trucks I was within the rules or was not in the money.

As for the STS's I got about 50,000 miles out of mine and probably could of got another 10k if one didn't blow out because it got a nail in it. I was very easy on the street with them though never broke the tires loose at all with them.

I guess I don't see the big deal.

First off, Brad and Leonard were not doing the teching and it was not their pull. I am not aware of any set in stone rules - just rules that changes for the situation. If it was a stock turbo class, I guess Brad should have raised a stink - after all he only got $18 for second place (in the "class legal" D-max). Not sure how much first place was, but it may have been enough for a burger and fries on the way home.

It sounds like it was just another unorganized brush pull with no real teching going on. In those instances - anything goes. Thats the way its always been. If you want a fair pull, you have to get an organization to run it, or make sure you have qualified tech guys. Most guys at a pull don't even know the rules, and if the tech guys don't know the rules then how do you determine who can and can't pull. Well - that the tech officials JOB.

David, why did you pull exibition in the "stock" class when you could have pulled in the open class for money? I realize it was a test hook, but if your going to be pulling in the modified class, you need to see how you stack against the modded trucks.

David, I just watched the video, what did you have the RPM set on? If sounds like it can't get the RPMs up. I'll be at Eldon - I'll chat with ya there.

I guess I don't see the big deal.

First off, Brad and Leonard were not doing the teching and it was not their pull. I am not aware of any set in stone rules - just rules that changes for the situation. If it was a stock turbo class, I guess Brad should have raised a stink - after all he only got $18 for second place (in the "class legal" D-max). Not sure how much first place was, but it may have been enough for a burger and fries on the way home.

It sounds like it was just another unorganized brush pull with no real teching going on. In those instances - anything goes. Thats the way its always been. If you want a fair pull, you have to get an organization to run it, or make sure you have qualified tech guys. Most guys at a pull don't even know the rules, and if the tech guys don't know the rules then how do you determine who can and can't pull. Well - that the tech officials JOB.

David, why did you pull exibition in the "stock" class when you could have pulled in the open class for money? I realize it was a test hook, but if your going to be pulling in the modified class, you need to see how you stack against the modded trucks.

Well... Once again I don't have a dog in this fight about the rules.

It was my understanding it was a brush pull... So I didn't expect the rules to be enforced.

I was told by Leonard who won the stock class that he was paid $400 for his first place hook. If thats not the case... He bold face lied to me.

As for why I chose to pull the stock class... I was under the impression that Brad and Leonard would not be pulling the stock class, and I wanted to be able to watch their hooks in open versus missing them because I was sitting in line waiting to hook. More importantly to me was Leonards hook... he had done a bunch of work on his truck and I wanted to see it first hand what it changed.

My truck is a street truck... I have no intention of ever being able to beat Hodler's trucks... Leonards... I still thought I might have a chance at.

I did try to go back and get a hook in the open class so I could try a different technique to see the effect it had, but they wouldn't let me after the stock class had already pulled.

Something about entry for the open class was closed... But they were still pullin' the stock class when I asked, seemed kinda stupid to me.

Again... I don't know why I'm having to defend myself...

I'm the only "Cheater" who told them when I signed up that I wasn't pulling for money... So I guess if thats still cheating so be it.

As for Hodler... Sure... His DMax "MAY" have been legal... But nobody in their right mind thinks that Maroon truck is a STOCK truck.

Last edited:
David, I just watched the video, what did you have the RPM set on? If sounds like it can't get the RPMs up. I'll be at Eldon - I'll chat with ya there.

I'll agree with that assumption as well...

I had the 4K tune in it.

I'm almost wondering if there isn't a bottle neck somewhere that's holding this thing back for some reason.

On the Dyno I was pulling in OD with the converter locked and it sure didn't seem to want to rev past about 3500 there either.

No matter what we did with the Smarty... It made 528. NEVER Changed... Every Pull.... 528.

Which A) Seems low to me even on a Mustang. B) Doesn't make a damn bit of sense why the number was always 528.

No programmer and just injectors though it did 398 and 400.

I'm thinking thats gotta be a Dyno error of some kind. Either that or a REALLY bad bottle neck in my truck somewhere.

I look forward to hearing your opinion at Eldon....

I'd also still like to talk to you about having some work done on the truck.

Last edited:
THIS is exactly the information I needed...

I had my suspicion the truck had gone to overdrive as well... I just needed somebody else to back my assumptions up.

I'm ordering the BD Overdrive Lockout first thing in the morning... And I'm gonna give that a shot to see if it helps.

THANKS FOR THE GOOD ADVICE AND INFORMATION!

Not a problem. Keep us posted on the progress. :Cheer:

No need to defend yourself, I have no problem with anyone that pulled.

Maybe I should explain myself better. First off - its a brush pull, so rules usually depend on what they let you in with. Alot of people consider the lower class to be street legal and open means anything goes.

I am forever getting guys with 2.6 chargers trying to pull in the 2.4 class. In their mind they are justified because they can drive theirs on the street. I just start pointing to trucks that are in the 2.6 class that are street driven.

David, your not putting the fire out. You actually clean up the smoke quick off the line, then shifted, smothered the turbo, downshifted and got back on top clearing out the smoke again. If you were overfueled, it would have been thick black smoke like it was when you shifted up and smothered it.

Any chance those injectors are NOT 3.5s? Any idea what your rail pressure is?

Any chance you got a video of my truck? Maybe you got something from a different angle or better audio that I could check out.

Ill get it up here in a bit, its from the end of the track like the others,

and they were going to tech that night but they forgot to get a turbo plug for the techer, i told him for a cummins look for stock size and words holset, but i guess that was too much work

i think there was 16 trucks in stock class

My question is. How many of the other truck that didn't win so to say. Were stock trucks? I bet over half the field of what.. 8 trucks weren't stock. Boo whooo!! Tell the guys that didn't win to call Hodler. He will give them their $10 back. He got in the class I'm sure to get an extra hook. He likes to sled pull. Hence... 3 pulling trucks!!

My question is. How many of the other truck that didn't win so to say. Were stock trucks? I bet over half the field of what.. 8 trucks weren't stock. Boo whooo!! Tell the guys that didn't win to call Hodler. He will give them their $10 back. He got in the class I'm sure to get an extra hook. He likes to sled pull. Hence... 3 pulling trucks!!

to me there was 5 or 6 that seemed to have stock turbo.......

heres diff angle of daves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJdLoeOoys

There was a discussion at the pull about stock turbo, bars, blocks. The tech inspector looked at the printed rules. The only specified rules - license, registration, insurance.

No need to defend yourself, I have no problem with anyone that pulled.

Maybe I should explain myself better. First off - its a brush pull, so rules usually depend on what they let you in with. Alot of people consider the lower class to be street legal and open means anything goes.

I am forever getting guys with 2.6 chargers trying to pull in the 2.4 class. In their mind they are justified because they can drive theirs on the street. I just start pointing to trucks that are in the 2.6 class that are street driven.

David, your not putting the fire out. You actually clean up the smoke quick off the line, then shifted, smothered the turbo, downshifted and got back on top clearing out the smoke again. If you were overfueled, it would have been thick black smoke like it was when you shifted up and smothered it.

Any chance those injectors are NOT 3.5s? Any idea what your rail pressure is?

Yeah... Like I said... I made no attempt to deny my truck was a 2.6" truck.... Even though it's BARELY a 2.6 truck. LOL

As for what happened during the hook... In your opinion Matt did it try to go to overdrive and thats when it knocked it off the charger? Or do you think it's when it went to 3rd that it knocked it off?

I agree after seeing the video from a different angle... The smoke isn't all that bad, although if you've seen my truck pull in years past thats ALOT more fuel than I used to have.

As for them being 3.5's.... Well... You know all the parties involved in that deal, and I believe you know the original story of how I ended up with a set of 40HP sticks when I was told they were 3.5's... (If you haven't heard the story Matt gimme a call, I'll fill ya in. Don't wanna air dirty laundry on the forums.)

So who knows if they are really 3.5's. I'd assume so this time.

Rail pressure was 25-26K According to the DiPricol Rail Pressure Gauge, I'm gonna take my Snap On Scanner Thursday and try to actually log what the RP does throughout the entire run just to verify.

There were 16 in the class.... I'd say probably 6 of them weren't stock.

I know for a fact at least 4 of us weren't.

to me there was 5 or 6 that seemed to have stock turbo.......

heres diff angle of daves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJdLoeOoys

Thanks for the extra video... That ones got a better view of the fuel situation.

Thanks for the extra video... That ones got a better view of the fuel situation.

No problem, it would have been better quality but the video cameras batteries were dead when we showed up so those are off the regular camera

i should be at eldon and otterville this week, ill probably video those also

I do remember the deal with the 3.5s

It looks like you left in first, shifted to second late, hit third and smothered it, then back to second. Judging by the wheel speed and RPM, you were in second unlocked at the end of the track.

I do remember the deal with the 3.5s

It looks like you left in first, shifted to second late, hit third and smothered it, then back to second. Judging by the wheel speed and RPM, you were in second unlocked at the end of the track.

Yeah... I wasn't sure you had been told that story yet... You know whats going on with that then.

OK... Well now I don't know what to think...

If it had tried to shift to overdrive... I fully understand why it would have fell off the charger.

I'd think though that this thing should be able to pull 3rd...

As for at the end of the track... I'd say you're correct. When I felt it fall off the charger I flipped the lockup switch back off and never turned it back on.

Are you thinking that I just didn't get enough boost built before I left and when it finally tried to go for the higher gears there was just too much weight from the sled there and not enough ground speed or wheel speed to hang onto that gear?

Back