Cummins 47RH to 89 Chevy Speedo/Cruise

Signature600

THA MAN!
Hey guys

Trying to finish up the swap of my 12v into an 89 Chevy C3500 for my girlfriends dad....using the 47RH, and need to figure out how to make the speedometer work?

Any suggestions?

From what I have found, I believe the Dodge VSS in the 47RH is not compatible with the 89 chevy speedo, so I believe I need an adapter like a Dakota digital one, but any idea where to wire it up? Will it go to the VSS buffer behind the glovebox? If so, where exactly do I find that thing?

If there is another way, I'm all ears!!!
Thank you!
Chris

Did you find what you were looking for on this?

If not, I believe there's a wire under the hood you can tap into, and it'll take the signal from there to where it needs to go (ECM or DRAC).

Let me check my schematic I have at home. I've got an 88, but I don't think they changed a whole lot between the two years.. And I do believe that the 89 still uses the gauge cluster to buffer the vss signal from the transmission, now that I think about it more. Your truck still has the moon gauges right?

I got a lot of info from shopkeypro dot com. Learned quite a bit from there and you can print off color wire schematics off it too.

Yeah, it still has the old style gauges. 88 and 89 are really screwy from what I can tell on the electrical/electronic side.

If it uses the cluster as a buffer, then the cruise would come out from there?

I have a dakota digital sgi-5e speed signal converter that I'm trying to figure out how to wire in, and I'm not nearly as sure about it as I would like...

If you can find something it would be awesome, if not, I guess I can just make a WAG.
Chris

Back