Cummins Head Gasket Question

oldspwr

I have a quick question that I was hoping to get some help with. I have searched this forum in regards to head gaskets and from what I gather OEM Cummins are the preferred ones. I also understand that some folks like the Fel Pro and most people recommend not using a Cometic.

I recently rebuilt a 95 12V and used genuine OEM Cummin upper and lower gasket sets. Both the head and the block were surfaced and I used ARP studs with a S300 Phatshaft Turbo and a Hamiliton Cam. The head gasket failed within 10 miles and created an external water leak. After I removed the head I realized that the gasket actually failed in 3 areas. After inspecting the failed gasket I was not able to find any part numbers, markings, etc. although I understood it to be 3283335 (stock thickness)

I went back and looked at the original head gasket from when we originally disassembled the motor to rebuild it and it was marked 3283337 MADE IN THE USA. So this gasket was .010 over stock.

The shop took .008 off total so in reality I need a .020 over gasket. I went ahead an ordered both the 3283337 (.010 over) and 3283339 (.020 over) gaskets. These are both OEM Cummins gaskets and are stamped MADE IN CHINA.

Are these still the preferred gaskets to use? I try to buy American whenever possible but realize in some cases you can't.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Yes most cummins head gaskets are made in China. If you're using head studs try a retorque next time, if factory head bolts, torque to 140 ftlbs in small increments until you get to 140.

Make sure you clean the head bolt threads and and make sure the head bolt holes don't have and oil, coolant, ect in them when you go to install the head volts. use a good lube on the head bolts. Are you using a good torque wrench?

Back