Cummins swap Almost Done!

foxracer61

Here is a few pics of what it was i will get into more detail when i have time! Well i started with a 1997 dodge 1500 with the 360 engine in it! Now with a 5.9 cummins in it!
truck2-2.jpg

truck1-1.jpg

There is alot more done now this pic was from last month it almost done now, which i drove just a couple of days ago! Should be pretty sweet! And i just want to to indruduce myself to this forum!

What i have done to the engine, i had got it out of a 96 dodge it had 147,000 on it, i went ahead and pulled it apart since i had it out and redone the head.I took it to a performance shop here in my town which he did the 5 angle valve grind which is suppose to make flow more, i put 60Ibs valve springs in it! I also put ARP head studs in it, advance the timing to 18 degrees, rack plug, done the KDP, 5" exhaust, and soon to have injectors which i may get some 370 marines from a buddy of mine! An i am now waiting on a tranny!

Whats wrong with them? have heard they wash down the cylinder walls by jim jessup but thats i have really heard! I was gettin them for 250! Thats the cheapest injector i have found and i dont want anything real big!

You dont want the marines because they are hazy at idle, smokey and hot.
for 500 you can get some SDX 5x12's which i can say are a great "small" injector for the money.
Id say easily worth three times the 250 your going to be into the marines for.

Oh yea, also nice choice on the front cover/intake/valve covers. I did similar (chevy orange) on my suburban to piss off my dodge fanatic cousins lol

What size/brand lift is that, also what size tires? Are you gonna upgrade to 8 lug running gear?

It is 10" lift kit i made alot of it and peiced alot of together! But very nice lift rides pretty good! After i get the swap finished i will be swapping axles and going with the 8 lug and also adding two inches to the lift to get the body a little further above the the tires! Which the tires are 40's on 20's! But i will have to get new wheels which im gonna get some wider wheels next time!!!

As far as the painting goes i had to make it somewhat flashy i started with it all black and it just look blah! so i added the red accents which i beleive looks great and now over the top! I like to keep my truck with the clean look!!!!

So, hopefully I'm not hi-jacking yet another thread.. I'm looking to do much the same thing. I have a good running truck that needs a new body.

Is it easier to pickup a gasser 1500 (they are cheap) and convert..? Or a v10, and convert, or just grab a 1500 and swap the body to my frame?

I built my motor myself, and now it's worth more than I can get out of the truck. Need a swap project of some sort like to OP's to keep myself afloat with this thing..

Well have been busy lately but i have gotten some work done! The front drive shaft for the front was closer to the front axle which made the drive shaft angle really steep and wouldnt work but with the diesel tranny and case it moved it all back! I have been working on the cross member so the drive shaft wont hit it and i should just have to lengthin it and it should work. I have also been working on my wiring and have a bit of trouble with my brake and reverse lights staying on when bat is connected! I got to chase down some grounds and see whats back feeding! ill post more pics up soon!

Very cool. What did you do, use the wiring harness from a donor truck or just use a 97 harness?

brake and tails staying on huh... weird.

Its the harness off the donor truck, but the tail lights harness is the one that was already on my truck but my 3r brake light is on so it shouldnt be the that! Have been working alot so havnt got much more done! Buying my new tranny hopefully next weem or week after then back to work, and get it done!

Well i have gotten alot done since the last post! It is almost done just waiting for my transmission to get back! I have took it to get it rebuilt, and put stage 1 clutch kit in it, performance valve body, kevlar bands, and new sprags and such. I have also purchase a billit triple disk converter! So i should be all set when that gets back! I have a little time so i figured i would post some pics from when i was doing the gas to diesel conversion!
21.jpg

This is the day i got old work truck! 94 dodge, engine replaced with 96 engine! The head gasket was blown so truck was parked and parted!
19.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Started pulling stuff to get the engine! Fun dirty job sense it hadnt been washed since who knows when.
25.jpg

^Finally got the engine out now time to start cleaning the engine! (They dont give you any room to get these thing out at all.
24.jpg

Getting it steamed clean!Best way
10.jpg

Pulled the head off and checked the head gasket found where it was leaking and putting oil into the water! also got it all cleaned up and started putting my head studs in!
9.jpg

This made it easy since engine was out in the open!
Sent my head off the local performance shop to get a little work done to them and cleaned it up!
28.jpg

27.jpg

26.jpg

Just wanted to see what the intake was going to look like after cutting that ugly mount off the side and some paint! Finished up everything and got the head put back on and finished cleaning engine! Turned out pretty nice!
11.jpg

Now back to the fun stuff time to pull the 5.9L gas engine out of the truck! Engine looks tiny in there!
18.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

This engine was easy to pull out! Took about 15 min to actually pull it out!
The cummins took alot longer! haha

33.jpg

34.jpg

Got the gasser out now time to clean up the engine bay! and pull the tranny out! Had a hard time doin that no one around my town had one that went tall enough! but i figured out away! then after i got it out of course i found someone who had one but didnt tell me!:doh:
36.jpg

Got the engine in! The truck has a 2" body lift on it so made it very easy to get engine slid right in there! I did take the hood off which i ran into a little accident there! I thought the latch was all the way up but it wasnt so when i loosined the hood of it sprung up further and nocked the hood out of my hand cracking my windsheild! owell i needed a new one any who!
1.jpg

I have alot more done then this just no pictures! I will get more pics when i have time! I have the front end all back together, and got rid of the mechanical fan and put electric fans on it! I have most of the wiring done but still have some issues but starts with key and gauges work! I have been a little low on cash so i have just been doing little stuff! I made me a gauge pod for where the old drink spillers were and it turned out very well and looks like i bought it! I bolts right up in the same position the cup holders did and if i want to remove it i can still put the drink holder back in! (not going to happen, just saying)
37.jpg

Made it out of 1/8th steel from lowes! Then cleaned it up all the welds and put a thin coat of bondo to make it easier to paint!
38.jpg

39.jpg

And it mounting but now is painted black to blend in to the dash bezel!

All in all im happy with my progress and am ready to finish it this thing! Tranny should be done next week so will put it back in and and run my tranny cooler lines and such!

Nice swap but a 10 inch lift and short arms? Your gonna need a long arm kit that is extended, might also help keep your tires out of the fenders.

Well when i start switching the axles i am either going to long arm it or do my own long arm set up! The front brackets have been dropped down so no harsh hangles and the alignment is within .001" of being just right! thats what the alignment shop told me and i have had the tires on it for a year put about 3500 miles on and nipples just wore of you can tell were they were still! I will be doing the long arm because it still rides pretty ruff!

Back