Cummins tranny swap

tradermitch

I have a 05 dodge 2500 with a Cummins I recently swaped out the auto transmission (48re) for a nv5600 6speed. The swap went great except for the electrical. I am a little lost. It has the computerized key. I tried to get a guy to flash it but he said the key has a vin attached to it and it talks to a module and that talks to the computer he said I would have to switch out alot of computers and modules and even the keys. And I have to get a vin from a 05 Cummins 6 speed to flash the computer and everything to. Truck runs but check engine light is on and it is in a little bit of a limp mode. Doesn't have the power it should. When I pull a trailer with my side by side on the interstate I am in 5 th gear cause of lack of power. Really need some help. Wanna find a kit or a way to fix the computer stuff. It says it has low Tran. Pressure, and auto trans fluid temp. So I know the reason just need to know how to fix it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

should just flash in a smarty tune for a 6speed and should be good to go.

should just flash in a smarty tune for a 6speed and should be good to go.
A tech said that I had to flash computer with a vin from same year that has 6 speed . and then I'd run into problems cause key is chipped and the vin on computer won't match key module and the computers will shut down to lack of matching vin numbers and then it won't start. Not sure of what all to flash and change out

If you wish to do this send me a pm. I will need to get some truck specifics from you.

Thank you!

I can bench flash it for you if need be. I do it all the time.

I have a 05 dodge 2500 with a Cummins I recently swaped out the auto transmission (48re) for a nv5600 6speed. The swap went great except for the electrical. I am a little lost. It has the computerized key. I tried to get a guy to flash it but he said the key has a vin attached to it and it talks to a module and that talks to the computer he said I would have to switch out alot of computers and modules and even the keys. And I have to get a vin from a 05 Cummins 6 speed to flash the computer and everything to. Truck runs but check engine light is on and it is in a little bit of a limp mode. Doesn't have the power it should. When I pull a trailer with my side by side on the interstate I am in 5 th gear cause of lack of power. Really need some help. Wanna find a kit or a way to fix the computer stuff. It says it has low Tran. Pressure, and auto trans fluid temp. So I know the reason just need to know how to fix it.

I had a cummins swap give me some weird low power limp mode problems, multiple different ecm tunes didn't fix it. What ended up fixing it was by grounding the ecm wire for the park neutral switch so the ecm no longer thought the truck was in park or neutral. Does your cluster show park all the time?

I had a cummins swap give me some weird low power limp mode problems, multiple different ecm tunes didn't fix it. What ended up fixing it was by grounding the ecm wire for the park neutral switch so the ecm no longer thought the truck was in park or neutral. Does your cluster show park all the time?
Not showing anything but reverse park alarm starts sounding horn when ever the door is open and truck is running

No it doesn't show any gear they are all out. But it was in parknwhen unhooked

No it doesn't show any gear they are all out. But it was in parknwhen unhooked

Correct when you flash a manual tune it gets rid of the pnd123

Must ground the wire for park. It acts as the neutral switch for the clutch pedal so the truck will start with the clutch out.

Correct when you flash a manual tune it gets rid of the pnd123

Must ground the wire for park. It acts as the neutral switch for the clutch pedal so the truck will start with the clutch out.

Shouldn't you ground it through the clutch switch...for safety sake.

Shouldn't you ground it through the clutch switch...for safety sake.

For my truck i didn't care so its that way I have it. Yeah i started it in gear once or twice but most of the time I remember. Also i couldn't find the clutch safety switch plug inside the cab. So i went with what i thought worked best.

Can someone show me where the park neutral switch wire is located on the ecm? I'm currently swapping a 47re into my 2006 and need to find it so I can ground it out. Thanks.

Quick update have about $5800 in the nv5600 6 speed with everything. Still have computer issues little bit worried about trying to use a program to fix them hate to dump &500 ish into it and it not work and still have to buy and other computers and modules. And still have to flash and everything. Some people say a smarty will take care of it some say it won't. I already have more money in this swap than I wanted to put in it...... Kinda stuck as to which way to go. Kinda sucks putting 6-7 grand in a truck this old, it is a 05 lol

I had an 05 that I swapped the 48 out and installed a g56. Called Bob and he sent me a manual file to use with the smarty. Truck worked perfect.

Best route to go is having Bob do that for your truck. You don't have to swap out all those modules, or harnesses unless you absolutely want to. Total pain. Just reprogram the exam and everything will be fine

Back