Custom Driveshafts

700 sportsman

I'm getting things all lined up for my GMC Cummins swap, and just wanted to hear some of your guys opinions about driveshafts. I know I am going to have to go completely custom, are there any good online companies that make custom driveshafts at reasonable prices? Also if anybody knows of any good driveline shops in Ohio (preferably northwestern) I'd like to hear them too.

Thanks

I'm getting things all lined up for my GMC Cummins swap, and just wanted to hear some of your guys opinions about driveshafts. I know I am going to have to go completely custom, are there any good online companies that make custom driveshafts at reasonable prices? Also if anybody knows of any good driveline shops in Ohio (preferably northwestern) I'd like to hear them too.

Thanks

Why will you have to go completely custom? What year GMC? im assuming 3/4 ton, and what tranny and t-case are you using? Any driveline shop should be bale to make some changes to yours and utilize your current parts to save you a few buck without compromising quality.

My truck is a 1996 with the fiberglass/aluminum driveshaft, and I was assuming that that style couldn't be modified? It's a 2wd 3/4 ton with an nv4500.

why not just use a gm tail housing and output shaft and just reuse your drive shaft? if your worried about the aluminum shaft then take it to a shop like suggested before. they can just duplicate it or put any yoke combination on there you want.

My truck is a 1996 with the fiberglass/aluminum driveshaft, and I was assuming that that style couldn't be modified? It's a 2wd 3/4 ton with an nv4500.

Which NV4500? are you just swapping the dodge input and bell housing onto your chevy NV4500? Or is it a Dodge 4500? Whats going to move thats going to change your driveshaft dimension? Those aluminum shafts just have a carbon fiber wrap on them, which you should carefully cut off anyhow if you live any place where there is road salt. They are easy enough to shorten, but not really worth re tubing. Oh yeah, and while tom woods has a few unique products, most of the stuff he sells is anything any driveline shop with a half a clue can put together for you, and usually for less money.

Last edited:
I am going from a 4l60e to a dodge nv4500, and with the autoworld motor mounts I'm planning on using I'm hearing that the motor will be positioned low in the frame and rearward to retain the stock fan requiring the driveshaft to be shortened.

I am going from a 4l60e to a dodge nv4500, and with the autoworld motor mounts I'm planning on using I'm hearing that the motor will be positioned low in the frame and rearward to retain the stock fan requiring the driveshaft to be shortened.

Ok, that paints a more vivid picture of what you have going on. Getting your driveshaft shortened and possibly a different slip yoke for the trans shouldn't be a big deal.

The mounts will move the engine back and a little lower. All you should need to do is change the slip yoke to the new trans and shorten the drive shaft. If you plan on going big with the mods then have one made out of steel. You should be fine with the aluminum shaft with mild mods.

Back