Custom engine stand i'm working on.

Exodus

I couldn't find one, so it had to be built. Started by buying a big rig slack adjuster and S-cam for the rotation. They can be had very cheap. I paid 45 bucks for both. The main body of it is 3/16's 3x3. Still in progress.

20160920_153424_zpsnoujii1o.jpg

20160920_153447_zpspn5ggtzr.jpg

20160921_134145_zpscl77votb.jpg

20160921_134156_zpsofjkbygo.jpg

20160921_192040_zpshri6bbb0.jpg

20160921_192052_zpsiem9kp4m.jpg

Plus you found a use for Canadian money. LOL

PS: I know you're in Canada, just messin'

Looks good!!

Are you going to be able to ratchet the engine over or just turn it like a normal stand? if it is a ratchet how are you going to hold it while you work the ratchet?

Looks good!!

Are you going to be able to ratchet the engine over or just turn it like a normal stand? if it is a ratchet how are you going to hold it while you work the ratchet?

You see the gold slack adjuster in the last pics. There is a collar hiding a 9/16 bolt. It's just a worm gear in there. You turn that bolt and it rotates the shaft going through it. The worm gear has a locking brake inside it. I'll make a video of it in action when done.

Got a little more work done today. mounted the slack adjuster.... 2 hex cap bolts, 2 jam nuts and 2 lock nuts.

20160922_123217_zps9vvadcot.jpg

Got a little more work done today. mounted the slack adjuster.... 2 hex cap bolts, 2 jam nuts and 2 lock nuts.

20160922_123217_zps9vvadcot.jpg

I'm guessing you're using the slack adjuster, and the adjuster just to rotate the engine. Does a slack adjuster has enough travel to rotate 180 degrees?

I like you're s-cam shims, by the way!

Finished product. Going to have to work some bugs out of the slack adjuster as the brake is binding on it. Might just be a factory bad one.

20161014_145156_zpsjtlb7fyq.jpg

20161014_145212_zpsnxsasmch.jpg

How did you attach the s cam to the engine mount pate? Can't really tell from the pics. Just weld to the plate? Nice job by the way.

Didn't think a slack adjuster would have the power to turn a motor over like that. If it actually works, I might have to make myself one. I have a few trailer axles lying around to steal parts off of.

Quick question... are you required to be DOT legal with that setup or??

The slack adjuster works like a charm, I have been using one on my engine/trans. stand for several years. Flips a Duramax and Allison like there nothing. I need to clean mine up a bit, as it was supposed to be a prototype, I expected to have to make some mods but it work great as it was...

LORDDiESEL yours looks great by the way, very clean.

Last edited:
How did you attach the s cam to the engine mount pate? Can't really tell from the pics. Just weld to the plate? Nice job by the way.

The S-cam has a 5x5x3/8 plate welded to it with 4 holes for bolts. The other cross shaped plate on the engine bolts to it.

image1_zpsh6xphafk.jpg

Didn't think a slack adjuster would have the power to turn a motor over like that. If it actually works, I might have to make myself one. I have a few trailer axles lying around to steal parts off of.

I've got a chinese one and I think that's where the problem is. Going to find an American made one.

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Back