Cylinder Head Choice??

Blue05

Diesel Gear Head
I am curious as to which year cylinder head would be the best one to start out with to do a full port and chop off the intake to add an aftermarket intake to. I am planning on either duals or maybe a larger single and injectors. My goal get into the high 700 or is possible the low 800 HP range once EFI live is out for my year truck.

Any input on which year cylinder head would be best to start with as I have been told that one guy picked up an 04 at a California junkyard that did not have inserts for the seats, which I would assume to be better as a popped seat can sure destroy an engine.

On a CR I would go with Industrial injection and a banks big hoss intake manifold.

^ if there was a throwing money out the window smiley i would use it.

As for your head i dont know, im not an expert with CR

I have been told the 06's flow the best(In stock form). But if you are chopping the intake and P&P'ing it then it doesn't matter either way.

I would recommend replacing the valve seat w/ high quality ones. (The 03-04 valve seats were supposedly lower quality than the 05-07's)

My head build will have the following.

Either 05 or 04 head (I have both)

O-rings
Chopped intake(shane's intake)
Full port and polish
Hamilton Cam & pushrods
ARP studs
Freeze plugs tapped and threaded for pipe plugs
Head Cryo'd
Valves Cryo'd

I am chasing 1000hp on fuel with this build. I am just making sure to cover my bases from the get go.

You don't need to touch the head for 700 HP to low 800 on a common rail. Just add a nice set of twins or a single with some nitrous oxide, some larger injectors, and a little bit of aftermarket tuning and you'll have your "goal".

^ if there was a throwing money out the window smiley i would use it.

spend.gif

had a friend get an II head, lost one valve seat in the first 500 miles in a new enging and trash a cylinder. Lost a second valve seat around 2500 miles and trashed the head and motor. FWIW

You don't need to touch the head for 700 HP to low 800 on a common rail. Just add a nice set of twins or a single with some nitrous oxide, some larger injectors, and a little bit of aftermarket tuning and you'll have your "goal".

Yeah, but the porting and cutting off the intake and adding shanes intake gives alot more potential to go even higher for the HP down the road, w/o juice or running a pressure box; I think a nice plus too is lower boost pressures with the freeer flowing head/intake. I think it could be a real streetable machine in the 800's with the right turbo, injectors, EFI in the near future and a nice full worked cylinder head. I would def. also have the oversized seats installed to help eliminate the seats popping out.

Last edited:
I've had an 06 and an 04.5 apart side by side. No difference between the heads I looked at.

The early 04 didn't look like it would flow as good as the later heads. Take this info fwiw. i didn't flow test them, just looked them over. I'd stick with 04.5 and up.

Back