D80 vs, AAM 11.5

roachie

Taco Master
Wich is stronger over all?

I have schied guts for an 80 (spool and axles) but I may be picking up a 3rd gen chassis for a puller that has no running gear.

So, lets hear it.

Going through this as well right now, I guess Burkhards Axle shafts and full spools have been pretty much unbreakable from what I've heard. But Haisleys 37 splines have just as good a reputation. You can fit a bigger shaft in a Dana 80.

Stock for Stock the AAM 11.5 is alot stouter. I dont know what kind of support there is for the GM 10.5" 14 bolt, John "dmaxlover" was telling me they have the same size shafts, the 10.5 has a supported pinion, but the 11.5" doesnt. I may try to make one live if I cant find a good deal on either a D80 or a 11.5 because 10.5" 14 bolts are dirt cheap and everywhere. I cant find a 11.5 for a decent price anywhere close.

the diff. is the axles you NEED are 10 miles from the Chassis you WANT:hehe: and believe me i would not mind going back down to Kentucky or Tennesse with both in tow. just say the word!

stock for stock i would have to go with the AAM i have had both and split the 80 carrier in half but i put a detriot truetrac in the 80 and never had another problem. they both gna have pro's and con's

Stock for Stock the AAM I agree. I have seen a third gen pulling truck built by scheid and it had a D80 put in it. I was told costs were the reason, as the AAM at the time didn't have the aftermarket parts available.

Im talking with aftermarket guts.

What is availible for a AAM?

the diff. is the axles you NEED are 10 miles from the Chassis you WANT:hehe: and believe me i would not mind going back down to Kentucky or Tennesse with both in tow. just say the word!

I know :bang

i there detroit has a locker out now, and maybe arb has a air locker. not sure i'll do some checking in my four wheeler mag, and randy ring&pinion. also roachie tell the girls they looks good friday nite Wha Bah, would have like to put talked at ya but i was with the industrail injection crew.

Ill tell them. The II crew was wanting them for pics but they couldnt get out of the gate to get any shirts for them to take pics in. :bang:

11.5 2005 dually axle 3.73

I have a 2005 dually axle sitting in my shop. I bought it to put under my 01 puller because I heard they were stronger but changed my mind. It has 3.73 ratio an open carrier. Actually I never have cracked it open to look but I was told it has an open carrier. Supposedly low (63k) miles too. It is sitting in Springfield,KY 40069.

Wich is stronger over all?

I have schied guts for an 80 (spool and axles) but I may be picking up a 3rd gen chassis for a puller that has no running gear.

So, lets hear it.

I'm pretty sure the D80 was rated higher than the AAM 11.5 in a test done by one of the 4x4 mags. This was discussed here about a year ago.

I'm pretty sure the D80 was rated higher than the AAM 11.5 in a test done by one of the 4x4 mags. This was discussed here about a year ago.

I remember an article, but I thought it gave the slight edge to the AAM?

There are spools and axles available for the AAM.

Full spools and 30 spline or 38 spline axle shafts are available for both dodge and GM AAM 11.5" in dually and SRW configuration.

I remember a thread on here where somebody bent or crushed the axle tubes on an AAM. Is that a freak thing or common?

Back