D80 vs GM14 bolt

JDGnut

If you had a choice for rear axles, which would be better for sled pulling only.. Dana 80 or GM 14 bolt... durablitiy, price, and cost to upgrade.. Curious to see some opinions.. I haven't had a 14 bolt apart in 12+ years..
Thanks,
Bryan

D80, I've heard the OLD GM 14 bolt be compared strength-wise to the D70.

Last edited:
Gear Set-Up is simpiler, parts are cheaper, old 14-bolt is only 10.5" ring gear new 14-bolts are 11.5's, 80's are 11.25", I don't know the deal for aftermarket 14-bolt axles though?
Brandon

New 14 bolt with the 11.5" dont have many locker options. I think I have only seen a mini spool and a tracrite for them. The axles ahfts have issues at high horsepower for sled pulling New shafts are big $$$.

If it were me I would go with a D80

D80 have axle issues at the 600HP mark, as well as spider gear issues on the limited slips, as well as spinning the bearings on the carriers. Good D80 axles start at $900 or so and go up.

i konow several ostpa smfwd pulling trucks that are running a 10.5 14 bolt with a spool and scs axles. and they have had few if any problems. if they will hold that i doubt you will have any problems

i konow several ostpa smfwd pulling trucks that are running a 10.5 14 bolt with a spool and scs axles. and they have had few if any problems. if they will hold that i doubt you will have any problems

Gassers don't have near the torque! I know many of d70's that have went by the wayside when pulling. D70 probably good for 500HP pulling.

I don't know if it is a 14 bolt or not, but I just bought an AMM 11.5 from Custom Differential with a tortion locker and new stock axles fully rebuilt for $2100, it comes with a one year warranty and Jeremy says they will hold 1500HP all day long. That sounded way better than a Dana 80 in my opinion. Also he just found out that Moser is making aftermarket axles for the AMM 11.5, so he has a set there for me in stock now in case these stock axles break, but he thinks they will hold.

I don't know if it is a 14 bolt or not, but I just bought an AMM 11.5 from Custom Differential with a tortion locker and new stock axles fully rebuilt for $2100, it comes with a one year warranty and Jeremy says they will hold 1500HP all day long. That sounded way better than a Dana 80 in my opinion. Also he just found out that Moser is making aftermarket axles for the AMM 11.5, so he has a set there for me in stock now in case these stock axles break, but he thinks they will hold.

With a tight track you will blow the axles at around 800HP mark.

Personally find a used AAM or a D80($800 or less) Some good axles($1000) and a welded carrier($3-$500) That will be a very good setup. Yukon axles haven't held up well to pulling.

What I have heard about the Mosers is that they don't hold up as well as stock.

The advantage the Dana 80 has over the AAM 11.5 is it can have much larger actual shafts. You can get 37 spline shafts in an 80. Where as the hub limits the size of the shaft in the AAM. 35spline is about as big as you can IIRC.

Thanks John, I didn't know that. A good set of 35 spline axles will hold tons of Power. I have heard the same thing about Mosers.

I wouldn't have any problems putting a 14bolt in a truck...in fact I had one for mine untill I decieded I wanted disks and couldn't get the conversion kit in time. I then traded the 14bolt +cash for my AAM.

There are 4x4 mods up here that have been running 14bolts for years with blowers/cut tires and have had no problems...great axle and a snap to change gears and you can get spools, lockers and axles for them (some of the jeep guys get some pretty trick stuff put into them) and when your dealing with 120:1 gear ratio's and 600-800hp big and small blocks...there is more torque on those axles then the diesels are putting on....put a big rock in the way of a bogger and that is ALOT of stress on an axle.

RyanB

D80 have axle issues at the 600HP mark, as well as spider gear issues on the limited slips, as well as spinning the bearings on the carriers. Good D80 axles start at $900 or so and go up.

Moser axles are $300.

1541h material i think.

Do a search on 1541H. It doesn't appear to be much better than stock.

With a tight track you will blow the axles at around 800HP mark.

Personally find a used AAM or a D80($800 or less) Some good axles($1000) and a welded carrier($3-$500) That will be a very good setup. Yukon axles haven't held up well to pulling.

Personally, I wouln't ever want to run a welded up rear end. When the spider gears go, so does the whole carrier, then you are back to square one.....Plus I think you need that little give that the locker provides before it locks when running at those tighter tracks.

Also, the locker is said to be more durable than a weld-up, and I guess we'll see soon if the axles will hold. 800hp should be at about half throttle.

you are killing me with those pics!

Personally, I wouln't ever want to run a welded up rear end. When the spider gears go, so does the whole carrier, then you are back to square one.....Plus I think you need that little give that the locker provides before it locks when running at those tighter tracks.

Also, the locker is said to be more durable than a weld-up, and I guess we'll see soon if the axles will hold. 800hp should be at about half throttle.

Haisley's seel the welded carrier with there larger axles and alot of there customers are putting HUGE power to the ground. Van told me to stay away from a Detroit in the Dana80 and that there setup works great with no problems. If done right....a welded rear end will last forever. Its the guys that weld them right in the truck spraying some brake cleaner just before. Haisleys take everything apart, clean, soak and let air dry...then they pre heat and weld it up with controlled heat and as soon as its welded wrap it up in a fire blanket, but it in an enclosed space (I think he said they put it in there sand blasting cabinet) and let it cool down slowly untill the next day).

RyanB

Back