Daily Bread

Almost Content?

September 5, 2013 — by Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Our Daily Bread Radio is hosted by Les Lamborn

Read: 1 Timothy 6:6-12

Be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” —Hebrews 13:5

Bible in a Year:
Psalms 146-147; 1 Corinthians 15:1-28

As I stepped into the restaurant parking lot after lunch, I saw a pickup truck speeding through the parked vehicles. While observing the driver’s reckless behavior, I noticed the words on the truck’s front license plate. It read, “Almost Content.” After thinking about that message and the sentiment it tried to communicate, I concluded that the concept “almost content” doesn’t exist. Either we are content or we are not.

Admittedly, contentment is a tough needle to thread. We live in a world that feeds our desire for more and more—until we find it almost impossible to be content with anything. But this is nothing new. The book of Hebrews addressed this issue, saying, “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you’” (13:5). The only remedy for hearts that “want it all” is the contentment found in the presence of the living God. He is sufficient for our needs and longings, and He alone can bring us the peace and contentment we’ll never find in the pursuits of this life.

Almost content? There is no such thing. In Christ we can know true contentment.
I find contentment in His wondrous grace,
No cloud or shadow can obscure His face;
When great temptations I must bear,
I find the secret place of prayer. —Dunlop

Contentment is not getting what we want but being satisfied with what we have.

Longing To Grow

September 6, 2013 — by David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 1 Peter 1:22–2:3

As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby. —1 Peter 2:2

Bible in a Year:
Psalms 148-150; 1 Corinthians 15:29-58

The 2010 documentary film Babies followed four infants who were born into very different circumstances in Namibia, Mongolia, Tokyo, and San Francisco. There is no narration or dialogue from adults in the film, only the sounds babies make as they begin to discover the world into which they have been born. They coo and laugh when they’re happy; they cry when they are hurt or hungry. And all of them like milk! The fascination of the film lies in watching them grow.

As a baby craves milk, followers of Christ are to crave the “pure milk of the Word” that leads to spiritual growth. The apostle Peter says, “Long to grow up into the fullness of your salvation; cry for this as a baby cries for his milk” (1 Peter 2:2 tlb). Peter wrote to encourage a group of Christ-followers who had been scattered by persecution. He urged them to set aside feelings of anger and jealousy toward each other, along with talking one way and living another (v.1), and “as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby” (v.2).

The Lord invites us to drink all that we need from His bountiful supply. He loves to watch His children grow!
Lord, I want to be more like You.
Please give me a fervent desire to drink of
Your Word. Grow me into a person who
resembles You in all I say and do.

The more we dig into God’s Word, the more we grow.

All Through This Hour

September 9, 2013 — by Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Psalm 25:1-11

Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day. —Psalm 25:5

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 6-7; 2 Corinthians 2

The majestic chime of London’s Great Clock of Westminster, commonly known as Big Ben, is familiar to many. In fact, some of us may have clocks in our homes that sound the same hourly chime. It is traditionally thought that the melody was taken from Handel’s Messiah. And the lyrics inscribed in the Big Ben clock room have a time significance:

All through this hour,

Lord, be my guide;

And by Thy power,

No foot shall slide.

These lyrics are a good reminder of our constant need for God’s guidance. King David recognized that he needed guidance all through the day as he faced the challenges of life. In Psalm 25 he says: “Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day” (v.5). Wanting to be a teachable follower of God, David looked to his Redeemer for direction. His heart’s desire was to wait on God with dependent faith throughout the entire day.

May this be our desire as well. Our requests for God’s help often begin the day, but then competing distractions can pull our attention away from Him. Lord, remind us to pray: “All through this hour, Lord, be my guide.”
There’s never a day nor a season
That prayer may not bless every hour,
And never a prayer need be helpless
When linked with God’s infinite power. —Morton

Let Christ be first in your thoughts in the morning, and last in your thoughts at night.

The Power Of Affirmation

September 10, 2013 — by Marvin Williams

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 1 Corinthians 1:4-9

I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus. —1 Corinthians 1:4

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 8-9; 2 Corinthians 3

During a recent study, 200,000 employees were interviewed to discover the missing ingredient in their productivity. The study concluded that appreciation and affirmation topped the list of what they wanted most from their superiors. This research implies that receiving affirmation is a basic human need.

The apostle Paul seemed to realize this basic need in the Corinthian believers, so before he peppered them with firm words of discipline, he showered them with affirmation. As their spiritual leader, Paul began his letter with thanksgiving to God for the grace being displayed in their lives.

Once far from God, these believers were now participating in His grace through the death and resurrection of Christ. United with Jesus, they were drawing their spiritual life from Him, and the fruit of this union was their spiritual growth in godliness (1 Cor. 1:4-7). Paul deliberately and continually thanked God for His work in the Corinthian believers’ lives. I imagine that they were better able to bear firm criticism from Paul because of his tender affirmation.

When we see people who are obeying God, let’s take time to affirm them and to thank God for what He’s doing through them.
Lord, You are at work in so many ways in my life
and in the people around me. Help me to encourage
my brothers and sisters in Christ by telling them
how I am blessed to see Your work in them.

Praise loudly—correct softly.

Amen .... my boss praises my good works ..... I just tell him I'm a tool in the Lord's tool box ...... Blessed am I for having the Lord use me for HIS works not my own

It’s All About The Love

September 11, 2013 — by Anne Cetas

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 1 John 4:7-19

We have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love. —1 John 4:16

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 10-12; 2 Corinthians 4

I saw a sign in front of a church that seems to me to be a great motto for relationships: Receive love. Give love. Repeat.

The greatest love that we receive is the love of God. He loved us so much that He gave His Son Jesus to live, die, and rise again to redeem us (1 John 4:9). We receive His love when we receive Jesus as our Savior and Lord. “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12).

After we’ve experienced God’s love, we then can learn to give love. “Let us love one another, for love is of God” (1 John 4:7).

God’s love enables us to love our brothers and sisters in Christ. We teach, encourage, and rebuke. We weep and rejoice. The love we give is tender and tough and supportive. We are taught by Jesus even to love our enemies: “Do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you” (Matt. 5:44). Giving love to others can be challenging in some situations, but it’s possible because of the love God has first given to us.

A good plan for our lives today: Receive love. Give love. Repeat.
For Further Study
How do we experience the love of Christ? (John 15:10).
What is the evidence of God’s love in our lives? (1 John 4:16-21).
How can we show God’s love today?

Receive love. Give love. Repeat.

Beneficial Power

September 12, 2013 — by Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 2 Chronicles 16:6-13

The eyes of the Lord run to and fro . . . , to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. —2 Chronicles 16:9

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 13-15; 2 Corinthians 5

Boxing and strong-man competitions have a unique aspect to them. In the events, the athletes compete individually for the purpose of demonstrating their superior strength. It’s like arm wrestling—you do it to prove that you are the strongest person in the room.

One aspect of God’s glory is His almighty power. But how does He show His strength? He doesn’t do it by rearranging the galaxies before our very eyes, changing the color of the sun at a whim, or freezing a lightning bolt as a trophy to His strength. Instead, in His love and compassion for needy people like ourselves, God has chosen to “show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him” (2 Chron. 16:9).

The pattern is consistent throughout Scripture. From the dividing of the Red Sea, to the marvel of manna in the wilderness, to the miraculous virgin birth, and ultimately to the power of the resurrection, our Almighty God has chosen to demonstrate His strength to bless, preserve, and protect His people.

Be assured that He delights in showing Himself strong in the challenges of our life. And when He proves His power on our behalf, let’s remember to give Him the glory!
Lord, thank You for choosing to expend Your
divine power on the needs of my life. When my
strength is weak, teach me to trust that Your mighty
arm is able to guard, protect, and deliver!

All of God’s promises are backed by His wisdom, love, and power.

A Father To Follow

September 13, 2013 — by Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 2 Chronicles 17:1-10

[Jehoshaphat] sought the God of his father, and walked in His commandments. —2 Chronicles 17:4

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 16-18; 2 Corinthians 6

When I think of my father, I think of this saying: “He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and he let me watch him do it.” During my youth, I watched my dad walk with God. He participated in Sunday morning church services, taught an adult Bible-study class, helped with counting the offering, and served as a deacon. Outside of church, he faithfully defended the gospel and read his Bible. I saw him express his love for the Lord through outward actions.

Asa, king of Judah, modeled devotion to God for a season in his life (2 Chron. 14:2). He removed the idols from his kingdom, restored the altar of the Lord, and led the people into a covenant with God (15:8-12). Asa’s son Jehoshaphat carried on this legacy by seeking “the God of his father and walk[ing] in His commandments” (17:4). Jehoshaphat purged the land of idol worship (v.6) and sent out priests and Levites to teach God’s law in all of the cities of Judah (vv.7-9).

Jehoshaphat’s reign resembled that of his father; he faithfully honored Asa’s godly example. Yet even more important, Jehoshaphat’s “heart took delight in the ways of the Lord” (v.6). Today, if you’re looking for a father to follow, remember your heavenly Father and take delight in His ways.
We magnify our Father God
With songs of thoughtful praise;
As grateful children we confess
How perfect are His ways. —Ball

We honor God’s name when we call Him our Father and live like His Son.

God’s Will

September 16, 2013 — by David H. Roper

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Psalm 37:23-40

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. —Psalm 37:23

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 25-26; 2 Corinthians 9

We’re often looking for God’s will—especially when we’re in a difficult situation. We wonder, What will happen to me here? Should I stay or does God want me somewhere else? The only way to know for sure is to do what He asks you to do right now—the duty of the present moment—and wait for God to reveal the next step.

As you obey what you know, you will be strengthened to take the next step and the next. Step by step, one step at a time. That’s how we learn to walk with God.

But you say, “Suppose I take the first step. What will happen next?” That’s God’s business. Your task and mine is to obey this day and leave the future to Him. The psalmist says our steps are “ordered by the Lord” (37:23). This day’s direction is all we need. Tomorrow’s instruction is of no use to us at all. George MacDonald said, “We do not understand the next page of God’s lesson book; we see only the one before us. Nor shall we be allowed to turn the leaf until we have learned its lesson.”

If we concern ourselves with God’s will and obey each day the directions and warnings He gives, if we walk by faith and step out in the path of obedience, we will find that God will lead us through this day. As Jesus put it, “Tomorrow will worry about its own things” (Matt. 6:34).
God knows each winding way I take,
And every sorrow, pain, and ache;
His children He will not forsake—
He knows and loves His own. —Bosch

Blessed is the person who finds out which way God is moving and then goes in that direction.

I just found this thread, Thanks! This is just what I have needed. It's so good to have other real christions around us that are not afraid to show it. I have just done 2 hours of reading and will continue!

Seeing God In Familiar Places

September 17, 2013 — by Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Isaiah 6:1-6

The whole earth is full of His glory! —Isaiah 6:3

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 27-29; 2 Corinthians 10

Because of where I live, I’m treated to spectacular displays of the magnificent, creative glory of God. Recently, on a drive through the woods, I was struck with a breath-taking display of deep rich reds and a variety of yellows that decorated the trees of autumn—all artfully arranged against the backdrop of a brilliant blue sky.

And soon, as the temperatures plummet and winter blows in, I’ll be reminded that no two snowflakes are ever the same as they pile on top of one another to create a rolling landscape of pristine white drifts. After that will come the miracle of spring, when that which seemed hopelessly dead bursts into life with buds and blossoms that will grace the meadows with a multiplicity of colors.

Wherever we look in the world around us, we see evidence that “the whole earth is full of His glory!” (Isa. 6:3). What is amazing is that the creation that surrounds us is damaged by sin (see Rom. 8:18-22), yet God has seen fit to grace our fallen landscape with these loving brushstrokes of His creative hand. It serves as a daily reminder that the beauty of His grace covers our sin and that His love for that which is fallen is always available to us.
Lord, may we be ever mindful of Your grace and love
in all that surrounds us. Thank You for making Yourself
visible through the beauty of Your creation. Teach us
to look beyond the beauty to see Your hand at work.

Never pass up an opportunity to enjoy nature’s beauty—it’s the handwriting of God.

God Had Other Plans

September 18, 2013 — by Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 1 Peter 1:1-9

A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. —Proverbs 16:9

Bible in a Year:
Proverbs 30-31; 2 Corinthians 11:1-15

My friend Linda grew up planning to become a medical missionary. She loves the Lord and wanted to serve Him as a doctor by taking the gospel to sick people in parts of the world where medical care is hard to find. But God had other plans. Linda has indeed become a medical missionary, but not the way she expected.

At age 14, Linda developed a chronic health problem that required her to be hospitalized for major surgery several times a year. She survived bacterial meningitis that left her in a coma for 2 weeks and blind for 6 months. She once celebrated two birthdays in a row in the hospital—without going home in between. She has had several experiences when she was not expected to live. But yet Linda is the most vibrant, grateful, and cheerful person you will ever meet. She once told me that her mission field, as she hoped and planned, is the hospital. But instead of serving God as a doctor, she serves Him as a patient. No matter how sick she is, the light of the Lord radiates from her.

Linda exemplifies the teaching of the apostle Peter. Despite her trials, she rejoices, and the genuineness of her faith brings “praise, honor, and glory” to Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:6-7).
Lord, I’m so thankful that no matter where
we are, we can serve You. Help me to reflect
Your image in my current situation, even
if it’s not where I hoped I would be.

Write your plans in pencil and remember that God has the eraser.

Time For A Change

September 19, 2013 — by Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Genesis 12:1-8

There he built an altar to the Lord and called on the name of the Lord. —Genesis 12:8

Bible in a Year:
Ecclesiastes 1-3; 2 Corinthians 11:16-33

Many believers long to spend daily time with God, praying and reading His Word. Ironically, they are often distracted by a busy schedule. Frustrations mount as busyness seems to crowd out an opening in their schedule.

Oswald Chambers has wisely commented on the transforming power of even 5 minutes in the presence of the Lord. Indeed, even a short time spent in intercession and the Word still has great value: “It is not the thing on which we spend the most time that moulds us, but the thing that exerts the greatest power. Five minutes with God and His Word is worth more than all the rest of the day.” Now, it may sound like Chambers has made an overstatement. Yet powerful results can come from even a short time of prayer, because God is powerful.

Sometimes our days are filled with busy demands that crowd out time spent in listening to and responding to God. But no matter where we are, any time taken to build our own spiritual “altar” to the Lord as Abram did (Gen. 12:8) opens the door to His transforming power. If you are having trouble establishing a time with God, you could start with just 5 minutes and see where it leads. Our God longs to meet with us and show His power in our lives.
Lord, it’s amazing to me that You, Almighty God,
would want to spend time with me! Thank You.
I stumble with my words at times but am in awe of
You. Thank You that You want to hear from me.

Talk with God—He wants to hear your heart.

A Difficult Place

September 20, 2013 — by Randy Kilgore

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Acts 8:4-8,26-35

I will never leave you nor forsake you. —Hebrews 13:5

Bible in a Year:
Ecclesiastes 4-6; 2 Corinthians 12

When a sudden change in technology made his job obsolete, a highly trained scientist found himself working in a fast-food restaurant. One evening after our Bible study he described the situation as difficult and humbling. He said, “One good thing I can say is that the young people there seem very interested in my faith.” A member of the group responded, “I admire you for being humble. I know your faith must have something to do with it.”

Like my acquaintance, Philip may have wondered why God would pull him off an assignment in Samaria (Acts 8:4-8) and plop him in the middle of the desert (v.26). But then he found that the Ethiopian needed help understanding the Scriptures (vv.27-35), and his place made sense.

When Jesus promised He would never leave us alone (Matt. 28:20; Heb. 13:5), He meant in the hard times as well as in the good times. Our mission in the difficult seasons of life is to work or serve remembering we are doing it for God, and then to watch as God works to accomplish His purposes.

Look for God in your difficult place and discover what He’s doing in and through you there.
Disappointment—His appointment,
No good thing will He withhold;
From denials oft we gather
Treasures of His love untold. —Young

What’s better than answers to our why questions? Trusting a good God who has His reasons.

Confidence In Troubled Times

September 23, 2013 — by Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Psalm 91

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. —Psalm 91:1

Bible in a Year:
Song of Solomon 1-3; Galatians 2

Some kids love to brag about their dads. If you eavesdrop on neighborhood conversations, you’ll hear children saying, “My dad is bigger than your dad!” or “My dad is smarter than your dad!” But the best brag of all is, “My dad is stronger than your dad!” This boast is usually in the context of a warning that if kids are threatening you, they’d better beware, because your dad can come and take them all down, including their dads!

Believing your dad is the strongest guy on the block inspires a lot of confidence in the face of danger. This is why I love the fact that God our Father is almighty. That means that no one can match His strength and power. Better still, it means that you and I “abide under the shadow of the Almighty” (Ps. 91:1). So, it’s no wonder the psalmist can confidently say that he will not “be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day” (v.5).

Regardless of what today may bring or the trouble you are now going through, don’t forget that your God is stronger than anything in your life. So, be confident! The shadow of His all-prevailing presence guarantees that His power can turn even the worst situation into something good.
Father God, in the midst of my trouble, teach
me to rest in the fact that You are almighty.
Thank You for the confidence I have that You are
stronger than anything that threatens my life.

God is greater than our greatest problem.

A Friend In Need

September 24, 2013 — by Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: 1 John 3:11-18

My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. —1 John 3:18

Bible in a Year:
Song of Solomon 4-5; Galatians 3

Not long ago my wife, Janet, and I bought a quantity of beef from a friend who raised cattle on a small farm. It was less expensive than meat from a grocery store, and we put it in the freezer to use throughout the coming months.

Then a terrible lightning storm cut power throughout our area. For the first 24 hours we were confident that the freezer would keep the meat frozen. But when the second day came with still no word of getting our power back, we began to be concerned.

We contacted Ted, a member of our Bible-study group, to see if he had any advice. He canceled an appointment he had and showed up at our doorstep with a generator to provide power for the freezer. We were thankful that Ted helped us, and we knew it was because of his love for Christ.

The old saying “a friend in need is a friend indeed” took on new meaning for us. John reminds us in 1 John 3:18, “My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” Sometimes this means inconveniencing ourselves to care for the interests of others or receiving that help when we ourselves are in need. After all Christ has done for us, it’s a blessing to be His hands and feet in loving one another.
Father, thank You for making me a part of Your
family by giving Your Son Jesus for me. Help me
to accept the care of others and also to serve them
out of gratitude and out of my love for You.

When we love Christ, we love others.

Insignificant

September 25, 2013 — by David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Luke 3:2-6,15-18

The Word of God came to John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness. —Luke 3:2

Bible in a Year:
Song of Solomon 6-8; Galatians 4

“Movers and shakers” are people climbing the ladder of influence and success. Luke 3 mentions seven prominent leaders who exercised control in the society of their time. Roman Emperor Tiberias Caesar held the power of life and death over people in his far-flung empire. Pontius Pilate represented Rome as governor of Judea; while Herod, Philip, and Lysanias kept people in line at the regional level. Annas and Caiaphas served as high priests, taking their religious authority seriously.

While these power brokers flexed their political muscles, “the Word of God came to John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness” (v.2). Who could seem less important than this obscure man living in the desert and listening for God’s voice? What could John the Baptist possibly accomplish by “preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins”? (v.3). Yet multitudes came to John seeking truth, turning from their wrongs, and wondering if he could be the Messiah (vv.7,15). John told them, “One mightier than I is coming . . . . He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire” (v.16).

John’s life helps us understand what it means to be significant in God’s eyes. Like John, may everything we say and do point others to Jesus.
Lord, help us to surrender our desire for influence
and success to You. May our heart’s desire ever be to be
used by You to further Your kingdom.
Make our lives a living testimony of You.

Our surrender to God precedes His significant work in our life.

The Path Of Wisdom

September 26, 2013 — by Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Read: Psalm 38:1-15

In You, O Lord, I hope; You will hear, O Lord my God. —Psalm 38:15

Bible in a Year:
Isaiah 1-2; Galatians 5

Albert Einstein was heard to say, “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Sadly, it does seem that far too often there is no limit to the foolishness we get ourselves into—or the damage we create by our foolishness and the choices it fosters.

It was in such a season of regret that David poured out his struggle and complaint to God in Psalm 38. As he recounted his own failings, as well as the painful consequences he was enduring because of those failings, the shepherd-king made an insightful comment: “My wounds are foul and festering because of my foolishness” (v.5). Although the psalmist does not give us the details of those choices or of his worsening wounds, one thing is clear—David recognized his own foolishness as their root cause.

The answer for such destructive foolishness is to embrace the wisdom of God. Proverbs 9:10 reminds us, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” Only by allowing God to transform us can we overcome the foolish decisions that cause so much trouble. With His loving guidance, we can follow the pathway of godly wisdom.
Loving Father, forgive me for the seemingly
limitless capacity I have to be foolish. Teach me
in Your wisdom, so that my life might be pleasing
to You and a blessing to others around me.

God’s wisdom is given to those who humbly ask Him for it.

Back