Daily Bread

I miss reading these and forwarding them already.....
Is everything OK Goldduster? Just checkin on ya ;)

sorry fellas been on vacation :)
Stop Putting Yourself Down

He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
Hebrews 10:14 NIV
When you disregard your positive qualities by telling yourself, "I'm too fat, I'm no good, I never do anything right," you'll always find verification of what you're looking for. Dr. Richard Carlson says: "Putting yourself down reinforces rather than corrects your imperfections by placing unnecessary attention and energy on everything that's wrong, rather than what's right with you. Why would you do this knowing the only possible result is a negative outlook, more negative feelings and less appreciation for the gift of life? People who regularly put themselves down are often seen as complainers, not to mention the example they set. Everyone has aspects of themselves they'd like to improve, but this doesn't mean you should beat yourself up. Here on earth none of us is ever going to be perfect, but putting yourself down isn't the answer."
The Bible says God "has made perfect forever those who are being made holy" (Hebrews 10:14 NIV). Max Lucado writes: "Underline the word perfect. Note, the word isn't better. Not improving. Not on the upswing. God doesn't improve; he perfects. He doesn't enhance; he completes… I realize there's a sense in which we're imperfect. We still err. We still stumble. We still do exactly what we don't want to do… that part of us is 'being made holy.' But when it comes to our position before God, we're perfect. When he sees each of us, he sees someone who has been made perfect through the One who is perfect - Jesus Christ."
It's okay to work on improving yourself, but go easy; stop often and remind yourself that you're "being made new… becoming like the One who made you" (Colossians 3:10 NCV).

At Whit's End:
We have been made perfect, yet we are being made holy (sanctified). Through Christ's death and resurrect, Jesus, once for all, made His believers perfect in God's sight. At the same time, He is making us holy (progressively cleansed and set apart for His special use) in our daily pilgrimage here. We should not be surprised, ashamed, or shocked that we still need to grow. God is not finished with us. We can encourage this growth process by deliberately applying Scripture to all areas of our lives, but accepting the discipline and guidance Christ provides, and by giving Him control of our desires and goals.
--Whit

I figured you had been away on vacation. Welcome back!
Thanks for posting again!

That one is so true. While reading the first couple of sentences of it, I thought about that saying "Wether you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're right."

your very welcome! :)

Locked In

ODB RADIO: Listen Now | Download
READ: 2 Timothy 2:1-10

I suffer trouble . . . even to the point of chains; but the Word of God is not chained. —2 Timothy 2:9

Jean-Dominique Bauby’s memoir, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, describes his life after a massive stroke left him with a condition called “Locked-In Syndrome.” Although he was almost completely paralyzed, Bauby was able to write his book by blinking his left eyelid. An aide would recite a coded alphabet, until Bauby blinked to choose the letter of a word he was dictating. The book required about 200,000 blinks to write. Bauby used the only physical ability left him to communicate with others.

In 2 Timothy we read of Paul experiencing a different kind of “locked-in syndrome.” Under house arrest, the apostle learned that his execution might be imminent. With this in view, he told Timothy: “I suffer trouble . . . even to the point of chains; but the Word of God is not chained” (2 Tim. 2:9). In spite of his isolation, Paul welcomed visitors, wrote letters of encouragement, and rejoiced at the spread of God’s Word.

For some of us, circumstances may have isolated us from others. Lying in a hospital bed, serving time in a prison, or being a shut-in can make us feel that we are experiencing our own “locked-in syndrome.” If this is true for you, why not prayerfully reflect on some ways you can still reach out to others. — Dennis Fisher

Give me to serve in humble sphere,
I ask not aught beside!
Content to fill a little place,
If God be glorified. —Anon.

No deed is too small when done for Christ.

Try God's Way!

Trust in the Lord... lean not on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 NIV
Ever watch someone learning to get around on crutches? What a struggle! Sometimes you find them trying to balance on one leg, or resting a few meters down the street, their hands raw and sore. Leaning on crutches can be exhausting. So can leaning on your own understanding.
If you want things to go badly for you - exclude God. Try working things out using only your own best judgment. When you hit a brick wall, try something else. When that gets you nowhere, resort to logic, then panic. The truth is, some of us act like we're addicted to anxiety. We've been living this way for so long we're not capable of seeing it or acknowledging it. When one worry is gone we put another one in its place. We have a line of them at our door, because the sign reads 'All welcome!' It's like we enjoy entertaining them. But Jesus said they're a waste of life and energy. They keep you so focused on what you need, or what you're afraid of losing, that you don't have time to enjoy what you have (Matthew 6:25). That's no way to live!
Instead of worrying, begin living by this Scripture: (a) "Do not worry about anything." (b) "Pray and ask God for everything you need." (c) "Always giving thanks." (d) "God's peace… will keep your hearts and minds" (Philp 4:6-7 NCV). Go ahead - try God's way!

At Whit's End:
Leaning has a sense of putting your whole weight on something, resting on and trusting in that person or thing. When we have an important decision to make, we sometimes feel that we can't trust anyone--not even God. But God knows what is best for us. He is a better judge of what we want than even we are. We must trust Him completely in every choice we make. We should not omit careful thinking or belittle our God-given ability to reason, but neither should we trust our own ideas to the exclusion of all others. Bring your decisions to God in prayer, use the Bible as your guide, and then follow God's leading. He will make your paths straight by both guiding and protecting you.

Encourage Somebody Today!

If a man's gift is... Encouraging, let him encourage...
Romans 12:6-8 NIV
There's no better exercise for strengthening your heart than stooping to lift somebody else. Think about it: your best friends are the ones who encourage you. Who wants to hang around somebody who always puts you down?
Dr Maxwell Maltz interviewed the son of a successful businessman. The boy had refused to take over the family business after his dad's death, even though it would've made him wealthy. He explained, "You don't understand the relationship I had with my father. He was a driven man who came up the hard way. His objective was to teach me self-reliance and he thought the best way to do it was never to encourage or praise me. Every day we played catch in the yard. The idea was for me to catch the ball ten straight times. I'd catch it eight or nine times, but always on that tenth throw he'd do everything possible to make me miss it. He'd throw it on the ground or over my head, so I'd no chance of catching it." He then paused tearfully and said, "That's why I have to get away; I want to catch that tenth ball!"
This young man grew up feeling he could never measure up, never be perfect enough to please his father. Sound familiar? William James said, "The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated." Most of us think wonderful things about people, but we never tell them. Praise becomes valuable only if you impart it. So, today go out of your way to encourage somebody.

At Whit's End:
There is an excellent book written by Gary Chapman called "The Five Love Languages." The first love language listed in the book is "words of affirmation." How many of us are wired to hear words like that? I will venture to guess that many of us on this devotional list are looking for those kind of positive words. To encourage someone is so powerful, especially when the words you say come from the Word of God. Is it really that tough to say something nice to others, even those that are hard to love? God challenges us to love other like Christ loves us, and that often means going above and beyond to find something good to say about even the most difficult of people. Are you willing to love that way? Are you willing to look past others sinfulness and love them like Jesus loves us? Granted, it is hard, but can you imagine where you'd be today if the Lord hadn't done the same for you?
--Whit

The Law Of Reciprocity!
Give, and it shall be given unto you.
Luke 6:38
Mother Teresa wrote: "One night a man came to our house and said, 'There's a family of eight children who haven't eaten for days.' I took some food and went to see them. When I got there I saw the faces of little children disfigured by malnutrition. There was no sadness there, just the pain of hunger. I gave a sack of rice to the mother. She kept one half and went out carrying the other. When she came back I asked, 'Where did you go?' She answered, 'To my neighbors, they're hungry also.' I wasn't surprised that she gave, the poor are usually very generous. But I was surprised that she knew they were hungry. As a rule, when we're suffering we're so focused on our own problems that we have no time for others." That's the law of reciprocity! It teaches you that:
(1) You can give your way to great blessing. Jesus said: "Give, and it shall be given unto you" (Luke 6:38). No seed is too little to multiply if you're willing to sow it. (2) What you do for others determines what God does for you. "Knowing that whatever good anyone does, he will receive the same from the Lord" (Ephesians 6:8 NKJV). (3) Your gift is the key to your future, but you must be willing to give it. "How?" you ask. By finding a cause greater than yourself and pouring your life into it! When you do that you discover two things: (a) It's okay to acknowledge your limitations as long as you don't build your life around them. (b) That success begins by focusing on what you have, not on what you don't!

At Whit's End:
A forgiving spirit demonstrates that a person has received God's forgiveness. I like how Jesus used the picture of measuring grain in a basket to ensure the full amount. If we are critical rather than compassionate, we will also receive criticism. If we treat others generously, graciously, and compassionately, however, these qualities will come back to us in full measure. We are to love others, not judge them. The first part is our job...the second is God's.
--Whit

Following Our Example

READ: 1 Timothy 4:12-16

Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers. —1 Timothy 4:12

Alyssa, who is 6 and just learning to read, often saw her parents and grandparents reading their Bibles in the morning. Early one day, she woke up before everyone else. Grandma found her sitting on the couch, with her Bible and a devotional booklet on her lap. She wanted to follow the example of spending time with God at the beginning of the day.

Timothy, a young pastor, faced heavy responsibilities in the church at Ephesus —training believers, leading in worship, countering false doctrine. The older, experienced apostle Paul gave him instruction on leading the church in these areas, but he also mentioned the importance of personal conduct. He said, “Be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity” (1 Tim. 4:12).

Paul challenged Timothy: “Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine” (v.16). If he paid attention to his own spiritual life and to solid doctrine, he would be a godly example to the church family.

We all have others who are observing us. Even little Alyssa has younger siblings watching her. Let’s live our lives in such a way that those who follow our example will help others in their walk with God. — Anne Cetas

Lord, help me live a godly life
Of faith and love and purity
So those who follow what I do
Will grow in their maturity. —Sper

A good example has more value than good advice.

Love to read this every day.It always helps to try to influence younger people in a positive way.I try to always keep that in mind with my little brother.

thanks everyone for your support!!

'it Is Well With My Soul'

Peace I leave with you... Do not let your hearts be troubled and... afraid.
John 14:27 NIV
The peace Jesus gives brings a sense of assurance that no matter what happens you know "it is well with my soul." He says to us: "My peace I leave with you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and… afraid" (John 14:27 NIV). The peace Jesus gives doesn't depend on conditions and circumstances. It comes from knowing you're God's child and that your Father controls the universe, loves you and always has your best interests at heart. That's why people who've lost everything will often tell you they wouldn't trade what they've learned, even if it meant recouping all their losses.
Joni Erikson Tada discovered a supernatural peace when an accident confined her to a wheelchair, and Corrie Ten Boom found it in a Nazi death camp. Missionary Elisabeth Elliot found it ministering to the Indian tribe who massacred her husband. She wrote, 'Only in acceptance lies peace… not in resignation.' There's a big difference!
Author Creath Davis points out that: "Resignation is surrender to fate. Acceptance is surrender to God. Resignation lies down quietly in an empty universe. Acceptance rises up to meet the God who fills that universe with purpose and destiny. Resignation says, 'I can't.' Acceptance says, 'God can.' Resignation paralyses the life process. Acceptance releases the process for its greatest creativity. Resignation says, 'It's all over for me.' Acceptance says, 'Now that I'm here, what's next, Lord?' Resignation says, 'What a waste.' Acceptance says, 'In what redemptive way will you use this mess, Lord?' Resignation says, 'I'm alone.' Acceptance says, 'I belong to you, Lord.'"

At Whit's End:
The end result of the Holy Spirit's work in our lives is deep and lasting peace. Unlike worldly peace, which is usually defined as the absence of conflict, this peace is confident assurance in any circumstance. With Christ's peace, we have no need to fear the present or the future. If you life is full of stress, allow the Holy Spirit to fill you with Christ's peace. When the peace of God moves into our heart, He restrains the hostile worldly forces and offers comfort in place of conflict. Jesus will give us that peace if we are willing to accept it from Him. You game?

After an advertisement for a credit repair service, a local newscaster said, “Credit repair isn’t something you can buy; it’s something you have to work for.”
The same principle applies to the credibility of our lives. We can’t buy it; it’s something we have to work for. We may be able to “borrow” credibility for a while by associating ourselves with credible people, but sooner or later we will need our own.
Credibility has to do with the ability to elicit belief. The reason it’s essential for Christians is that our lives affect God’s reputation (1 Peter 2:12). When we call ourselves by Christ’s name, His reputation is tied to ours. If people have reason not to believe us, they may not believe God.
The way to earn credibility is to live honorably. Then others will believe and glorify God. — Julie Ackerman Link
For Further Study
Look at these Scriptures about Christ’s life: Matthew 9:10-13; 20:28; Luke 6:12. How can you live the way He did?
If we take care of our character, our reputation will take care of itself.

The Sin Buildup

READ: 1 John 1:5-10

We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. —2 Corinthians 4:7

For hundreds of years, windmills around the world have been used to pump water and to process grains. But in the last few decades, as wind turbines producing electricity have become more prevalent, a “fly in the ointment” unexpectedly occurred.

Researchers discovered that windpower generators worked fine at slow speeds, but at high-wind velocity, bugs on the blades reduced power output. Operators found that it was necessary to regularly wash off the buildup of dead insects to avoid having them slowly decrease the turbine’s power.

A buildup of sin in a Christian’s life can be a problem as well. God has provided a way to clear the accumulation of sins from our lives. First John 1:9 reminds us: “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” But unless we do that often, we’ll be running on diminished power. That’s because the power for living comes from God and not us (2 Cor. 4:7). When we try to live the Christian life in our own strength, we’ll feel defeated—like windmills robbed of their energy.

God’s power can be more easily seen and experienced in our lives when we get rid of sin’s buildup every day. — Cindy Hess Kasper

The power in our Christian life
Will be diminished by our sin;
Confession will restore our strength—
When we’re forgiven, cleansed within. —Sper

Sin drains our spiritual power; confession restores it.

A Second Chance

READ: Lamentations 3:22-33

His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. —Lamentations 3:22-23

A year ago today, 155 people on US Airways Flight 1549 thought they were going to die. During take-off from New York City , their plane struck a flock of geese, disabling both engines. In a powerless glide, the captain maneuvered over the densely populated area, then announced: “Brace for impact.” Less than 90 seconds later, the crippled plane made a water landing in the frigid Hudson River, where boats and ferries quickly arrived to rescue the passengers and crew, all of whom survived. People called it the “miracle on the Hudson ” and praised the pilot and crew. One grateful passenger said simply, “We have a second chance in life.”

In times of crisis, we grasp the importance of every hour. During our ordinary routine, however, we often forget that each day is a second chance. “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I hope in Him!’ ” (Lam. 3:22-24).

We can choose to live with thankfulness for God’s mercy and grace, with confidence in His faithful care, and with hope because He is with us forever. Today, God offers us a second chance in life. Let’s make the most of it! — David C. McCasland

As shadows of night give way to dawn’s light,
God opens the door to a brand-new day;
And with it come mercies from His gracious hand
For giving new mercies is always His way. —D. De Haan

Our God is a God of second chances.

The Law Of Reciprocity!
Give, and it shall be given unto you.
Luke 6:38
Mother Teresa wrote: "One night a man came to our house and said, 'There's a family of eight children who haven't eaten for days.' I took some food and went to see them. When I got there I saw the faces of little children disfigured by malnutrition. There was no sadness there, just the pain of hunger. I gave a sack of rice to the mother. She kept one half and went out carrying the other. When she came back I asked, 'Where did you go?' She answered, 'To my neighbors, they're hungry also.' I wasn't surprised that she gave, the poor are usually very generous. But I was surprised that she knew they were hungry. As a rule, when we're suffering we're so focused on our own problems that we have no time for others." That's the law of reciprocity! It teaches you that:
(1) You can give your way to great blessing. Jesus said: "Give, and it shall be given unto you" (Luke 6:38). No seed is too little to multiply if you're willing to sow it. (2) What you do for others determines what God does for you. "Knowing that whatever good anyone does, he will receive the same from the Lord" (Ephesians 6:8 NKJV). (3) Your gift is the key to your future, but you must be willing to give it. "How?" you ask. By finding a cause greater than yourself and pouring your life into it! When you do that you discover two things: (a) It's okay to acknowledge your limitations as long as you don't build your life around them. (b) That success begins by focusing on what you have, not on what you don't!

At Whit's End:
A forgiving spirit demonstrates that a person has received God's forgiveness. I like how Jesus used the picture of measuring grain in a basket to ensure the full amount. If we are critical rather than compassionate, we will also receive criticism. If we treat others generously, graciously, and compassionately, however, these qualities will come back to us in full measure. We are to love others, not judge them. The first part is our job...the second is God's.
--Whit

Brokenness

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit.
Psalm 51:17 NIV
A world that celebrates success doesn't see value in broken things. But God brings beauty out of brokenness. For a plant to rise from the soil the seed must be broken. For a baby chick to experience larger life the shell must be broken. Even a thoroughbred horse must be broken; it must learn to respond to the tug of the rein and the sound of the master's voice. Getting the idea? After a humbling encounter with Christ on the Damascus Road , Paul re-evaluated all the religious activity he once boasted about and called it "dung" (Philippians 3:8 TM). And you don't brag about dung, you're repulsed by it.
Brokenness is the work of God by which He strips us of self-sufficiency so that the character of Christ may shine through us. Now don't misunderstand; being broken doesn't necessarily mean experiencing some tragedy. Many people suffer tragedy without drawing closer to God or even acknowledging Him. Indeed, the same sunshine that melts the butter hardens the clay. The issue in brokenness is not so much our circumstances, but our response.
What is God trying to teach us? True brokenness is when He strips us of self-sufficiency to the extent that we've no strength left to fix ourselves. When God blocks every exit we try to take and we come to see that He alone is our answer, we make a life changing discovery. "And what's that?" you ask. When God is all you have - God is all you need! Bottom line: God's power is reserved for those who have given up trying to do it in their own strength or to accomplish it for their own ends!
At Whit's End:
God wants a broken spirit and a broken and contrite heart. You can never please God by outward actions--no matter how good--if your inward heart attitude is not right. Are you truly sorry for you sin? Do you genuinely intend to stop repeating them? If so, God is pleased by this kind of humility. You can hide your true motives from others, but nothing is a secret with God. He knows our sincerity and commitment (or lack thereof). When we are genuine in our faith, the Lord is pleased because He receives the glory.
--Whit

Back