Daily Driving a Pulling Truck

Opinions Vary

The truck in my signature is my only truck. I have a Valair dual disk that is barely gets the job done. Is there a clutch out there that is streetable that will hold up to 4th gear pulling at 450 - 550 hp?:bang

Im in the process of building for next year, i'm in need of a turbo. Probably going to go stock appearing/2.5 not sure what every clubs rules are going to be but definetly needs to be under 2.5. Suggestions on that.

Cam, valve springs, headstuds are in the outlook as well. Any solid advice with reason from experienced people please.$.02

if the clutch you are using is an organic clutch, it is not made to hold 4lo 4wd sled launches.
call valair, and they will help select a clutch based on the goals you set.

Dan has said, you cannot have your cake and eat it too when it comes to clutches, if you want something to drag race, daily drive and then pull a sled at 600+ hp, it will suffer in one of those three areas. He can get you close.

I had a southbend 3600 full ceramic clutch in my 12 valve that I daily drove

I like my street triple...it is a little jumpy at take off with a trailer though.

I drove my SBC Competition DDC clutch plate load 3850 on street for about year and loved it pulled trailer real nice too

Call valair. You can easily get buy with a dual disc if you have the correct one. No need to go spending all that money on a triple.

I'm running a dual disk sintered iron valair (should hold 900horse according to valair), worth every penny. I've never smelt clutch after a pull out or hot roding on the street.

I'm running a dual disk sintered iron valair (should hold 900horse according to valair), worth every penny. I've never smelt clutch after a pull out or hot roding on the street.

what valair dual disc is rated for 900 hp. Is there a p/n or custom built. Do you tow with it?:poke:

What gears do you have in the truck? and what size tires do you have? If you are pulling direct drive "4th" gear low side and 450-550 hp, it may never work out

I don't think you can pull 4th lo with big tires and only 500 horse, but my kennys dual disk has held 3rd gear pulls with 35's and 3.50 gears in my ~500 horse 12 valve. Drives great on the street and have never had it slip.

What gears do you have in the truck? and what size tires do you have? If you are pulling direct drive "4th" gear low side and 450-550 hp, it may never work out

I have 4.10 gears and 33" sts tires. This setup is mint for the northeast. Loose tracks I do awesome but I was at Antrim saturday and that tight track got my clutch to slip. So if this clutch doesnt come around or goes bad like my last dual disc I would like to have an idea of what to get. I do realize if i had a little more power it might be able to spin through the binding of the track and not put as much stress on driveline. Correct me if I'm wrong, only on my 25th hook ever but killin it in workstock up in New England.

Imo if you have the money get a triple. Ive driven a sb3850 and its a pain it will never slip but its a pain on the street. The valair street triple on the other hand is smooth shifts fast and has half the petal.

Yeah I would drop a gear on a tight track, you will go farther when the weight hits if you have the rpm's up.

I like my street triple...it is a little jumpy at take off with a trailer though.

What pressure where you running? I was looking into this clutch cause I want more than what a organic dual disk will hold but I tow pretty often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Its a kennys 3200 load. I love the pedal, holding power and ease to shift but the only draw back is that there is zero, zilch, no slipping it whatsoever. It is my daily driver and tow rig for my race truck and I wouldn't put one in a truck that has a trailer behind it a lot.

I have a south bend 3850 and its great unless its warm and theres a trailer hooked to it and I have to start out heading up hill LOL

Yeah I would drop a gear on a tight track, you will go farther when the weight hits if you have the rpm's up.

that would be something to try but 3rd gear being the weakest gear in the tranny, and not being able to rev very high i dont think i would be able to get the sled moving fast enough on a track that is over 200 ft. I only rev to like 3k and it lugs at 24-26 goin down the track.

that would be something to try but 3rd gear being the weakest gear in the tranny, and not being able to rev very high i dont think i would be able to get the sled moving fast enough on a track that is over 200 ft. I only rev to like 3k and it lugs at 24-26 goin down the track.

Can't you drop to 2nd hi?

Back