Damn turbine wont come off...

RedBowTies88

The 3rd slowski
hey, sorry to make a thread for something so stupid but i cant get the turbine housing off the hx52 i just bought... any tricks?

a 5 lbs hammer is starting to put dents in the housing and still getting me nowhere...

thanks

is it safe to heat there the housing meets the center section with a propane tourch

Submerge to diesel fuel minimum few days also brake fluid makes miracles

Clamp the turbine in a vise, with the turbo upright. Soak in penetrating oil and use a big pipe wrench to twist the center section. Works great.

i have melted bee's wax to get stuff apart. sometime takes more than a day of 2 of soaking good luck. when it starts to come apart keep it strait so you dont damage turbine wheel.

I usually use a dead blow hammer and a torch.

Last edited:
Clamp the turbine in a vise, with the turbo upright. Soak in penetrating oil and use a big pipe wrench to twist the center section. Works great.

Think I could do this with the compressor housing instead of twisting the center section? Doubt I have a pipe wrench that big

What about heating the vband flange with a propane torch?

rubber mallet is a waste of life on a stubborn turbine housing IMO

but so is WD40!!!!!!!!!!!!

get a good penetrating oil, and don't be afraid to hammer the housing in the opposite direction (as if you're hammering it ON)

Got frustrated and decided to try my luck on the compressors. Got the vband off easily only to discover that the seam is very oxidized (white crusty stuff) and the back plate the compressor sits on is quite rusty.

Think this thing was outdoors? The comp housing won't come off either. If that rust on that piece a sign of bad things to come? Turbo spins freely and has virtually no play....

nope, not a bad sign IMO

some slight dents in the iron housing aren't going to hurt anything. 1lb drill hammer, penetrating oil, and determination :D

Soak it in penetrating oil for days on end before touching it again. If you got a kid make it one of their chores to do hourly unless you can completely submerse it. You would be amazed at what that stuff will get loose, but make sure it is a good one, WD is not. Kroil, PB, FREE are all good.

Think I would hurt anything completely submerging it in ATF/acetone? Sounds like it woul be cheaper then a big jug of PB

Back