Dana 80 Build help

CUMMINS_power31

Did a search but didn't find much. replacing my dana 70 on my 99.

The 96 SRW 80 axle housing I got after blasting is in rough shape from rust its a 96 drum. Found a bare housing SRW dana 80 for 2000 NEW OEM thats been sitting in a warehouse for a fairly good price. Can I use this and use my 96 axles spindles brakes guts etc on it?

The yukon master overhaul and gear part numbers are both same between the two so I figure it would but just double checking. Also curious about the abs/ speed sensor.

The Dana 80's track width may be greater than the Dana 70 and therefore, the axle shafts from the 70 would not work. I do also know that the Dana 70 has a 32-spline axle shaft as opposed to the Dana 80 with 35-spline. The Dana 80's may also have larger diameter drums than the 70 but if the backing plates swap, that wouldn't be an issue. When did the Dana's go from inboard to outboard mounted drums? Was it '94 or '98?

Last edited:
No I've got a complete SRW Dana 80 from a 96 that I want to use things from on a 2000 housing. Im not using anything from the 99 dana 70 im just replacing it. The truck itself is a 99.

Correction, the 1994 and up Dana 70s have 35-spline axles as well.

I just put in a 95 srw dana 80 and my dana 70 pads and wheel cylinder bolted up. I believe it's the same hubs also for the srw.

No I've got a complete SRW Dana 80 from a 96 that I want to use things from on a 2000 housing. Im not using anything from the 99 dana 70 im just replacing it. The truck itself is a 99.

Ahh, I didn't catch that in your initial post.

The Dana 80s from '94-'01 are said to be similar. The only difference being the track widths SRW, DRW or DRW C&C. You have both SRW axles already so I don't see why the parts wouldn't swap easily.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/286RBI_specs.html

Last edited:
Correction, the 1994 and up Dana 70s have 35-spline axles as well.

My 1995 2500 Dana 70 or more precisely Dana 70U has 32 spline axles, this is the factory original rearend.

My 1998 2500 Dana 70 AKA Dana 70U also has 32 spline axles and is the original rearend that came in the truck.

Technically the Dana 70's in the 1994 through 2002 Dodge Ram 2500's is not a true Dana 70, its more of a Dana 70 hybrid or variant and therefore has the designation 70U. I'm no expert, I've just broken a few things in both trucks over the past few years...

Axle026.jpg

If you want to count, there are 32 splines on that broken axle....

Axle027.jpg

Last edited:
That was my assumption as well. The link I posted above gave the information I passed on about the 70 models. I can only speak for the earlier '91.5-'93 Dana 70U having 32-splined axles. I figured the later models would've been the same but when I came across that information, I wasn't sure if anything had changed.

Thanks for confirming.

Not worried about the 70u anymore. I'm talking the 35 spindles in the 80. I see alot of people upgrade to 37 spindle axles. More for pull trucks? Mines just a worthless toy really. Wondering what the stock 35 spindles can take. I'm all ready regearing for bigger tires along with master overhaul kit. Didnt know if I need to address the axles as well or not? Seems like I see high hp trucks on stock dana 80s holding just fine.

Back