Dana 80 swap?

Rodram2002

OK, I've got a D80 out of a 2000 that had drum brakes. What all will I need to do the swap? What all is involved?

This is going in the '98?

You will need bigger bottom axle pads to accommodate the 4" axle tubes. You may need longer U bolts. I did but I have a 2'' add a leaf as well. If it had drums before then it hooks right up. My 01 had the abs metering valve on the rear end, but I just took it off.

Yeah, this will be going on the 98. I think I can also get the blocks, U-bolts and axle pads with it.

Don't I have to shorten the drive line and put a different yoke on it?

The dana 80 is out of a 2000, I will be putting it in my 98 that has a dana 70.

I didn't have to shorten mine. Mine is a 2001 quad cab short bed auto. The 80 came out of a 98 quad/long dually.

I didn't have to shorten mine. Mine is a 2001 quad cab short bed auto. The 80 came out of a 98 quad/long dually.

You have a slip yoke on yours with no carrier bearing. The yoke slides in. I would verify that when you fully load the truck that you don't bottom out in the slip yoke.

Break...
THe rear wouldn't be as bad as the front one, as you could break the housing in two very easily on the front one.

Guys just put the axle in and measure the length and compare to your driveshaft.

Back