DDP 120's, are they just THAT dirty?

cummins359

I bought new not reman injectors from ddp with 120hp nozzles last year. Since owning them I always had smoke. It hazes at idle, it smokes while driving all the time and they just seem downright friggen dirty. To be honest I'm embarrassed to drive the truck out of fear of being labeled as one of the tools who "roll coal" everywhere they go. My question is, is this a common thing to have, am I just stuck with this issue due to the design of the nozzle?
The current mods to the truck are the 120's, PPE dual fuelers, hamilton cams 110# valve springs and push rods, 66 batmowheel, 2nd gen manifold, TRE transmission, EFI tuned by Rich@Doghouse diesel on a dyno, airdog 150.

My 180s were clean at idle, but even with a 64mm single they hazed horribly down the interstate. They are the injectors my truck had in my avatar. I went to a set of industrial injection nozzles they are supposed to be 85 lpm (I bought them used, so going off of good faith). They ate almost clean coming down the track, with zero changes to programming, or turbo. They also run tremendously better.

All the ddp injectors I have seen are dirty compared to some of the other injectors on the market.

With efi live that should be fixable I would think. Did you talk to your tuner about the problem? I don't know myself just thinking out loud!

My buddy just got a set of 120s and that's exactly how his are just plain dirty.

That's a lot of fuel flowing outa those things.your efilive tuner should be able to clean it up though.......
Maybe ask him to pull some fuel out at low rpms until your turbo spools and then ramp it in. There's tuners who go in and smooth tables and call it good,these are not performance tunes. If it was on a dyno it should have been tuned accordingly.did you have the tips on during this dyno session? Kind of a obvious question I know,but important. Most efilive tuners I know are all about low to no smoke. Pm me if ya want a lead on some other tuners. You need someone whos been in it for awhile. Smoothing is easy, true tuning is a bit tricky. Ieave it to the pros!

My 180s were clean at idle, but even with a 64mm single they hazed horribly down the interstate. They are the injectors my truck had in my avatar. I went to a set of industrial injection nozzles they are supposed to be 85 lpm (I bought them used, so going off of good faith). They ate almost clean coming down the track, with zero changes to programming, or turbo. They also run tremendously better.

So funny...
I hated my 85lpm's! i Put lennys 90hps back in! Exactly the same parts will act different on multiple trucks,one of the mysterious facts of diesel tuning......

That's a lot of fuel flowing outa those things.your efilive tuner should be able to clean it up though.......
Maybe ask him to pull some fuel out at low rpms until your turbo spools and then ramp it in. There's tuners who go in and smooth tables and call it good,these are not performance tunes. If it was on a dyno it should have been tuned accordingly.did you have the tips on during this dyno session? Kind of a obvious question I know,but important. Most efilive tuners I know are all about low to no smoke. Pm me if ya want a lead on some other tuners. You need someone whos been in it for awhile. Smoothing is easy, true tuning is a bit tricky. Ieave it to the pros!

Rich at doghouse knows his stuff, he tried to clean them up, but they haze even at idle with a stock tune. My truck was tuned on a dyno too by the way.

I worked with Les and my flux 3.5s still haze a little when hot at my elevation. We tried a bunch of differnt tunes. I think its the nature of the beast. Have you checked your balance rates. Some of mine are high and some are low. I hoping fixing the balance rates will reduce the haze more.

Back