DDP 90's went in and now have a rattle, need advice

went with fluxes and most of the rattle seemed to go away. to be clear im not bashing ddp either just stating what my issues were.........

I just would like to add I have had stock nozzles, DDP 90's, Wicked Diesel 120's, and now Industrial Injection 200's (with all new injectors this time) and have never had injector rattle. Before the new injectors the last few weeks I would notice a slight injector rattle at low cruising RPM but I was the only one that could detect it, and it didn't always do it also. I would say it is something with the install, as every time these threads pop up it is with different nozzles of all makes from different manufactures. Ive also read of people uninstalling and reinstalling the same nozzles and the rattle goes away. Part of the CR ghost I guess..

How thick is the head gasket?
Also the piliot injection event grows so a little rattle is normal. The bigger the nozzle the worse the rattle. Other thing that can is spray angle. So thats why i asked the thickness of the gasket. Thicker is going to change the spray angle.
Also a jimmyd fca will cause higher than normal rail pressure. Which can make all the mentioned even worse at light throttle position.Feel free to call me at the shop. DDP Lenny

How about the thinkness of the copper washers? Had a truck come in with a rattle and found that there was a copper missing from under one if them. It was amazing it did not destroy the injector.

Malcolm

I seriously doubt injector brand has anything to do with it. I have had 3 different size injectors from 20-75% over stock and have never had a rattle.. I have read of people running the same injector I had that had a rattle. The only thing that ever caused a rattle on my truck was drilling out the return fitting on the back of the head. It caused an off boost rattle, not rpm related. Didnt matter what gear or rpm if the boost was below 5lbs it rattled. Once boost went over that it was quiet. Put a stock non-drilled fitting back in and the rattle was gone. These CR's have some wierd quircks that hopefully data logging with efi is gonna answer.

How thick is the head gasket?
Also the piliot injection event grows so a little rattle is normal. The bigger the nozzle the worse the rattle. Other thing that can is spray angle. So thats why i asked the thickness of the gasket. Thicker is going to change the spray angle.
Also a jimmyd fca will cause higher than normal rail pressure. Which can make all the mentioned even worse at light throttle position.Feel free to call me at the shop. DDP Lenny

Ive got a modified stock thickness 12v gasket along with O-rings, Also as far as the FCA Ive got a Floor It Stage 3.5 so any work to it was done by John.
Lenny I may be giving you a call in the next few days!

The factory single dot gasket is .046 thou thick. The two dot gasket is .049. The factory 12 valve gasket is .058 after fully crushed. So the compression is now lower by about 3 thenths of one point. Good for performance under boost, bad for combustion to happen on time. What you have is totally normal. If we put bigger injectors in it it would be worse. One thing to try is shaving the copper sealing washers by ten thou. Make damd sure to test one of them to be sure it is being crushed. That will get the spray angle closer to stock. Another question! How much wire protrusion on the O rings?

For those who care... the single dot gasket is for piston protrusion of 6 to 12 thou. The 2 dot gasket is for 13 to 19 thou. Just a fyi! And I have mls gaskets that are .059 that work well on motors greater than 600 hp. But they will rattle more than stock due to the lower compression. Keeps the motor alive when being beat on. So we get to pick our battles! This gasket has been working great in 900 rwhp applications. Daily drivers! that race too! Hope this helps guys

The factory single dot gasket is .046 thou thick. The two dot gasket is .049. The factory 12 valve gasket is .058 after fully crushed. So the compression is now lower by about 3 thenths of one point. Good for performance under boost, bad for combustion to happen on time. What you have is totally normal. If we put bigger injectors in it it would be worse. One thing to try is shaving the copper sealing washers by ten thou. Make damd sure to test one of them to be sure it is being crushed. That will get the spray angle closer to stock. Another question! How much wire protrusion on the O rings?

Protrusion is .012 thou........

So If it is bad for combustion to happen on time then EFI live should be able to help us out in this situation right??

Last edited:
Lenny, to compensate for the thicker gasket, why not use a thinner copper washer on the injector?

Don M tried gringing off about .010 or .020 off the injector collars so you can just use the standard washer thickness but still have the injector setting lower. In my truck, the rattle was no better that way.

I just learned to deal with it.

Last edited:
Don M tried gringing off about .010 or .020 off the injector collars so you can just use the standard washer thickness but still have the injector setting lower. In my truck, the rattle was no better that way.

I just learned to deal with it.

Swole have you picked Marco's brain about this?

Swole have you picked Marco's brain about this?

No Sir. I didn't think to ask him while he was here. I'm so used to my truck being broken that I guess it just wasn't on my mind..lol

Try asking him in the recent SSR Beta thread that Rich started.

So far, with my SSR I've not been able to get rid of it.. I wonder if efi will be able to.

I have heard that the Edge nozzles do the same thing, I have 100HP Edge nozzles waiting to be put in, but I need the turbo to support them.

Been there done that. Nothing changes the rattle, stock mls gasket, shaving the injector washers, changing FCA's and pumps, nothing, I tell you nothing fixed it on my 04.5. Never did any damage though in the 800 hp range. The pilot shot is at fault in my opinion with larger injectors and the only way to alleviate this is by decreasing the volume of the pilot shot or getting rid of it altogether. In other words, EFI Live or standalone ECM. Jay

Last edited:
Back