Death wobble

Cumminsdan

My truck is 05 2500 4x4 6 in lift tires 37 on 20 in rims. Driving down highway hit bump and goes into death wobble. In the last 3 months I have changed ball joints, was a little better. Also changed drag link and tie rods better but still not right. I know it needs steering dampeners, any other ideas?

My truck is 05 2500 4x4 6 in lift tires 37 on 20 in rims. Driving down highway hit bump and goes into death wobble. In the last 3 months I have changed ball joints, was a little better. Also changed drag link and tie rods better but still not right. I know it needs steering dampeners, any other ideas?

The big tires and lift ain't helping your cause one bit. Find yourself a nice dual steering stabilizer kit and start there, that seemed to cure mine of the dreaded death wobble......for now.

Consider a track bar also. The OEM bar flexes under load even with stock tires. What ball joints have you been using?

My dad's '06 hasn't done this at all since he's owned it. But shortly after getting it home, we installed a Carli leveling kit, Carli high-mount Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Bilstein 5100 lower stabilizer, Carli adjustable track bar, McQuay Norries Extreme ball joints and 35" tires. Haven't had any bit of wobble show up. All of the parts mentioned where suggestions from Carli of which they found seem to be the cure for death wobble. For now.

Last edited:
as stated,

track bar, change stabilizers, and also, if you run aggressive tires, muds etc, check for uneven wear.. that will also give you a death wobble if you are positive that your suspension is good...

the only cure is hydro assist.. I have never had it return on any truck I have ever put it on.. I use red neck ram because they are the cheapest to do it.

gotta set caster correctly, go to 2008+ front end parts, it won't be back.

Added caster until gone on mine. If it won't adjust far enough to cure it, you need control arms that are appropriate for you ride height.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

What tires are you running? Are they E rated or D rated? Also what is your tire pressure set at?

Tires are Nitro trail grappler 37x 12.50R 20 LT. 35 psi. Rating is E. Tire wear is good.

Last edited:
As you can see, there is no set solution. On my 01 I had a 4.5" skyjacker with 35" load range D tires. Only time it would death wobble is when the skyjacker track bar drop bracket would loosen up. Put a thuren track bar on it and never had a problem. Never ran a steering stabilizer either and never had a problem.

I should say I installed a trackbar along with control arms and lift pucks. Never have had death wobble.

Tires are Nitro trail grappler 37x 12.50R 20 LT. 35 psi. Rating is E. Tire wear is good.

I'm not sure what the Trail Grapplers require for tire pressure, but my Terra Grapplers I ran 55-60. When my truck was new, I had DW twice with the truck completely stock including the tires. The cause was underinflated tires.

It seems everyone has a different idea on what causes and fixes the DW. Here's my story.

My dad had an 03 2500 hemi a while back. At about 65k miles it developed the DW. Stock size BFG rugged trails, E rated.

First was to put ball joints in... No help.
Second we put in an adjustable track bar from Solid Steel (the death wobble fix), also no help.
Then we but in the steering stabilizer. That fixed it.

On my 06 I have the skyjacker dual steering stabilizers and a steering stabilizer (frame brace I call them). Stock track bar. Never had the DW. My 06 has 37's and D rated Hancooks and stock ball joints yet at 110k.

What trackbar are you running? Stock?

Using a drop trackbar bracket?

What are the position(s) of the timing marks on the cam bolt washers for the control arms?

the only cure is hydro assist

The only cure?

I do not have death wobble, and never had.......I am running a 6" lift with 37x13.50R20s without any issues

I am, however, running a Bullet Proof Steering kit that replaces all of the TRE and stock steering assembly

Stock trackbar. Right front cam is at the 10:00 position. Left front is at the 1:30 position.

Why? Trying to compensate for a pull to the left/right?

Hell if I know. I had an alignment done about 2 years ago. Maybe they did it then. Not that being off 1/2 an alignment mark is a huge distance. It does track straight though.

Back