death wobble??

alldiesels

Alldiesels
any word on this guys, i would rather fix it my self than take it to ford for a week
it gets really annoying at 50-65 and hell the truck only has 800 miles on it
thanks
robert

Here's the TSB

Steering - Steering Wheel Oscillation On Bumps
Notes

TSB 06-15-1

08/07/06

STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATION

FORD:
2005-2007 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 05-22-1 to update the vehicle model years, causal part numbers, and Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles may exhibit steering wheel oscillation (back and forth motion), immediately following front or rear wheel impacts (i.e. pavement joints, frost heaves, rough roads, etc.). Steering wheel motion is typically in the range of +/- 5 degrees, and typically dampens out in fewer than five oscillations. This condition occurs mostly on 4X4 vehicles, and is more evident on trucks equipped with a gas engine.

ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure to minimize the steering wheel oscillations on impacts, however, there may be some remaining minor oscillation which would be considered normal.

SERVICE PROCEDURE SUMMARY

^ Set tire pressure and road test vehicle to evaluate vehicle before proceeding with further repairs. If issue is resolved, do not proceed with the rest of this TSB

^ If concern still exists, check steering damper for leaks; torque steering and suspension fasteners per Workshop Manual

^ If concern still exists, check front alignment and reduce front caster

^ Replacement of redundant control steering wheel (if equipped and vehicle built prior to 10/8/2004)

VEHICLE INSPECTION - TIRE PRESSURE

1. Set tire pressures as indicated on the vehicle label (located on driver's door label).

NOTE SETTING TIRE PRESSURE TO DOOR SPECIFICATION IS ONE OF THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT MEASURES IN RESOLVING THIS ISSUE. LOWERING TIRE PRESSURE WILL MAKE THIS ISSUE WORSE.

ROAD TEST

1. Ask customer what type of road surface and speed generates the steering wheel oscillation.

2. Road test vehicle on similar road surface and speed, to gain a feel for the customer's issue.

3. If no issues are identified during the road test, do not proceed with the rest of this TSB.

STEERING DAMPER INSPECTION AND STEERING/SUSPENSION FASTENER TORQUE CHECK

1. Wipe down and inspect the steering damper. Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times to cycle the steering damper and inspect for leaks.

a. If leaks are present, install a new steering damper.

2. Check torques on the following steering and suspension fasteners and adjust to specification as required (see Table).

NOTE ADJUSTING TORQUE ON STEERING AND SUSPENSION FASTENERS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN RESOLVING THIS ISSUE. FASTENERS THAT ARE IMPROPERLY TORQUED WILL MAKE THIS ISSUE WORSE.

FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT AND REDUCE FRONT CASTER

NOTE OSCILLATION ISSUES RESOLVED BY WHEEL ALIGNMENT ARE WARRANTED FOR 12/12 ONLY, REGARDLESS OF OTHER STEPS PERFORMED.

Measure wheel alignment. Verify that Front Caster, Camber, and Total Toe are within specification. Adjust as required. Refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 204-00 for complete alignment specifications.

REDUCE FRONT CASTER

^ Note the current front caster

^ Use alignment adjustment bushings to reduce front caster by 0.5 to 0.75 degrees. The caster setting may be at the lower end of the specification as long as the vehicle drives smoothly. Do not put caster setting below the lower specification limit. Use alignment adjustment bushings

F-250/350 4X4:

^ 5C3Z-3B440-CCC (0.5 degree bushing)
^ 5C3Z-3B440-DDD (0.75 degree bushing)
^ 5C3Z-3B440-EEE (1.0 degree bushing)

F-450/550 4X4 and 4X2:

^ 5C3Z-3B440-HHH (0.5 degree bushing)
^ 5C3Z-3B440-JJJ (0.75 degree bushing)
^ 5C3Z-3B440-KKK (1.0 degree bushing)

F-250/350 4X2:

^ 5C3Z-3B440-C (0.5 degree busing)
^ 5C3Z-3B440-D (0.75 degree bushing)
^ 5C3Z-3B440-E (1.0 degree bushing)

For All 4X4 and for F-450/550 4X2:

^ Rotate the alignment adjustment bushing so that the bushing hole is in the 45 degree forward and inboard position (See Figure 1)

^ This should lower the caster, while keeping the camber within the specification range. If the camber is not in the specification range than rotate the alignment adjustment bushing as needed

^ The final caster and camber settings must be within the specification limits

^ Maintain the current front camber, cross-camber and cross-caster settings as close as you possibly can

^ Adding weight behind the rear axle lowers the rear of the vehicle, which decreases the frame angle, which in effect increases caster

For All F-250/350 4X2:

^ Observe the camber position of the alignment bushing that is currently in the truck and attempt to maintain that position while moving the caster position forward in the truck

^ The final caster and camber settings must be within the specification limits

NOTE CASTER SETTING IS VERY IMPORTANT IN RESOLVING THIS ISSUE. INCREASING THE CASTER SETTING WILL MAKE THIS ISSUE WORSE.

REPLACEMENT OF REDUNDANT CONTROL

STEERING WHEEL - Vehicles Built Prior To 10/8/2004 Only

NOTE THE REPLACEMENT STEERING WHEEL WILL CONTAIN THE REDUNDANT CONTROLS.

1. Remove driver air bag assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-04 for complete instructions.

2. Remove the steering wheel.

3. Install new steering wheel.

4. Reinstall driver air bag assembly.

5. Re-set clear vision as required.

NOTE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO SECTION 211-04 OF THE WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR COMPLETE REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURES FOR THE STEERING COLUMN.

NOTE LABOR OPERATIONS IN THIS TSB CAN BE CLAIMED TOGETHER.

NOTE OSCILLATION ISSUES RESOLVED BY WHEEL ALIGNMENT ARE WARRANTED FOR 12/12 ONLY, REGARDLESS OF OTHER STEPS PERFORMED.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

061501A 2005-2007 F-Super Duty: 0.4 Hr.
Check Tire Pressure, Road
Test To Verify Repair,
Concern Resolved, Return
To Customer (Do Not Use
With 1007D, 3001A,
3001A1, 3001A6, 3600A)

061501B 2005-2007 F-Super Duty: 1.4 Hrs.
Check Tire Pressure, Road
Test To Verify Repair,
Concern Not Resolved,
Check Steering Damper
Replace If Necessary,
Verify Proper Torque On
Steering Components,
Road Test If Concern Is
Resolved Return To
Customer (Do Not Use
With 1007D, 3001A,
3001A1, 3001A6, 3600A)

061501C 2005-2007 F-Super Duty 1.9 Hrs.
250/350 4X2: Check And
Adjust Front Wheel
Alignment, This Labor
Operation Can Be Claimed
With Operation B Only (Do
Not Use With 1007D,
3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6,
3600A)

061501C 2005-2007 F-Super Duty 2.3 Hrs.
250/350 4X4, F450/550
4X2/4X4: Check And
Adjust Front Wheel
Alignment, This Labor
Operation Can Be Claimed
With Operation B Only (Do
Not Use With 1007D,
3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6,
3600A)

061501D 2005 F-Super Duty With 0.7 Hr.
Redundant Steering
Control Built Prior To
10-8-2004: Replace
Steering Wheel, Includes
Time To Depower And
Repower The
Supplemental Restraints
System Can Be Claimed
With Operation A Or B (Do
Not Use With 1007D,
3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6,
3600A)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
(OPERATION A) NPF 82
(OPERATION B) 3E651 42
(OPERATION C) FRONT W6
(OPERATION D) 3600 42

Disclaimer

So funny I read this... my buddy has an 07 KR on 40's with 22x14's and smacked the retaining wall on I-10 b/c of the "death wobble".

1SickHarley said:
So funny I read this... my buddy has an 07 KR on 40's with 22x14's and smacked the retaining wall on I-10 b/c of the "death wobble".

What lift was he running?

It has either a Fabtech or Rize, that's what he sells. You can see the truck on www.blackskyinc.com I just talked to him and he said it was a lower ball joint that was bad.

Nice truck...looks like he's running RIZE.

Was the truck badly damaged?

I wonder what he has his caster set at....

Luckily the tires stick out so far it mauled his front left and rim. The rear view mirror was the only thing that got jacked on the physcial truck. But still, 22x14's ain't cheap.

The basic fix for the death wobble is the alignment. Under 12/12,000 alignment is covered under warranty. Basicly lower the caster as far as possible and still keep it within spec. The TSB listed here is the old one. The new one does not have you adjust the gear box. Getting the gear box load correct can be a pain. Too lose and there is play, too tight and the steering sticks. I would leave the box alone and just get the alignment shims put in to lower the caster. I do at least two of these a week and no more complaints from customers after the alignment.

Back