Degreeing a cam

I agree it is sad that I can call the well known shop to find out the Intake centerline for a cam the I bought and get the response of: "We check all of the cams that leave here so don't worry about it. Just put it in with the dots." I want to double check there work but have no way to know now.

I got a full cam card with mine. Anything can happen, it's up to you to check it. If they don't give you the specs will they be responsible if you eat the valves?

When i bought my cam (maxspool) Greg told me about my new core and sent me a cam card.Jerrod G your cam manufacture should be answering all questions.

What if your cam manufacture will not tell you what the intake centerline is supposed to be?

I was told you degee full open on exhaust and full open on intake add the two numbers together and divide by two and that is the centerline of the cam.

If that is what you are getting then they are probably using blanks instead of regrinds which is a good thing, but they are keeping you in the dark on specifics which is not too cool.

I was told you degee full open on exhaust and full open on intake add the two numbers together and divide by two and that is the centerline of the cam.

That is different than what he is asking. He is asking about how to find the centerline of the intake. This is found by pick an arbitrary number to subtract from the max lift of the cam. If the cam has .550" lift subtract .15" for arguments sake( .535"). Roll the engine up to max lift on the way up mark the degree .535" occurs on the opening ramp, mark where it occurs on the closing ramp and find the middle of the two if it is say 96 degrees on the open ramp and 104 on the closing ramp then the intake is on a 100 centerline.

Zach

so i have a maxspool 2.5 i got from a guy on hear will i have any clearance issue. and what can i expext out of this cam

Maxspool 2.5 doesn't mean much. Try to get duration numbers like 176/210 or 199/218 and the ground intake centerline not the suggested intake centerline. This will tell you about how much clearance you will need.

Zach

Back