Desotomaxx Build

Chassis build

After we got some basic structure with the 4-link and a few front end pieces, started working on the basic cage design. Almost all the fabrication for these steps were done by Shawn, owner of Function Fab in El Paso. Just a few guys with ideas trying to make stuff go faster!
IMG_20121231_115102_489_zpsloq9njnd.jpg

IMG_20121231_115118_110_zpsiikhbctb.jpg

IMG_20121231_115232_931_zpsyk4betdd.jpg

Picture%204360_zpsi4gp2gun.jpg

Pictures galore

It would take 3 pages to describe everything we've done to this point, so I'll make it short and sweet. Then show tons of pictures to feast on.

Getting ready for Speedweek 2015, car has floor pans done, cage finished, parachute ran, fire system is plumbed, basically everything is ready except test drives/tuning.

Wheels are steel duallys we had to use for the offset to clear, had custom spacers and studs made that will pinch the entire hub/rotor assembly together. No short weany studs here.

All glass minus the windshield has been replaced with plexi, curved the rear window in a powder coating oven. So no, we did not cut a 6" hole in factory glass for the stack.

Still trying to figure a way to run a speedometer; using the gear vendors speed sensor since the trans is a 4x4 and we don't have a tcase....

Tuning: Easy choice with EFI, but we do need the ability to look at and adjust tune tables while on the salt flats. I have a basic knowledge of tuning, and have played with Smarty UDC, but no clue on tuning a Duramax to live at high rpm. Any takers or help?

On to pics.....

Sounds great man!

Have you considered a GPS based speedo?

For Duramax tuning think about talking with Brayden Fleece at http://www.fleeceperformance.com he is a very good tuner with EFILive. You may also want to consider their data logger which uses the EFILive interface for displaying logged data...

Idaho Rob, Duramax Tuner, Dan's Diesel and Danville Performance are other tuner's to look at.

Looking forward to hearing about it...

QUOTE]

We were thinking of just mounting a garmin gps unit inside somewhere. It displays speed and is GPS based of course. Not fancy but it has been tested to 134mph in other vehicles...

I know there are some great tuners out there, would like someone who is genuinely interested in the project. It's just the car for now, but we will be shooting for 200 with a built motor. AND just to throw this out there, the factory 7 pin trailer harness is intact and working (for a small camper....):evil

QUOTE]

We were thinking of just mounting a garmin gps unit inside somewhere. It displays speed and is GPS based of course. Not fancy but it has been tested to 134mph in other vehicles...

I know there are some great tuners out there, would like someone who is genuinely interested in the project. It's just the car for now, but we will be shooting for 200 with a built motor. AND just to throw this out there, the factory 7 pin trailer harness is intact and working (for a small camper....):evil

Looking good! Cool project for sure!!! I know Livorsi makes GPS speedometers and I kind of think Auto Meter does as well, but I am not sure on that one...

Looking good! Cool project for sure!!! I know Livorsi makes GPS speedometers and I kind of think Auto Meter does as well, but I am not sure on that one...

If it goes to that, I do have a connection to Racepak. So data logging/ GPS wouldn't be an issue. Just seeing if we can get by without that system for another year due to funds. SCTA is VERY strict on safety.

Thanks for the comments guys. Feel free to ask questions and I have tons of pictures of just about everything.

You would have to talk to a experts on the Allison transmission, but it needs a speed sensors connected to the tcm for the transmission to shift properly. If not, it with bind when it tries to shift and then you can have major transmission issues.

If it goes to that, I do have a connection to Racepak. So data logging/ GPS wouldn't be an issue. Just seeing if we can get by without that system for another year due to funds. SCTA is VERY strict on safety.

Thanks for the comments guys. Feel free to ask questions and I have tons of pictures of just about everything.

You would have to talk to a experts on the Allison transmission, but it needs a speed sensors connected to the tcm for the transmission to shift properly. If not, it with bind when it tries to shift and then you can have major transmission issues.

Look to Fleece, they know the Allison inside and out...

Back