destroked 6.7, who makes pistons

Blacksdieselhp

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Looks like Im gonna destroke the 6.7 with a 5.9 crank. Just wandering if anyone has some leadins one affordable custom pistons. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but my motor funds be tight. :lolly:

should look into longer rods and stock dimension pistons. makes your rod ratio better. plus if you burn up a piston you can get a off the shelf piston

I'm sure you know this Ash but Scott at destroked can set you up. Cheap and custom is only in pottery. Aka Greg's piston program involves pottery. LOL.

I'd love to go with a longer rod, but its not even almost in my budget. May end up going back with a full 5.9 just for reliability. I cant afford to keep blowing these things up. lol

From what I have been told you can cut .080 off the block deck and use 6.7 pistons.

Looking at 6.7 engines, longer rods would ease rod ratios taking the pressure off the piston skirts, leading to less cracked cylinders. Just a theory.

Sent from your moms house using tapatalk

I'd love to go with a longer rod, but its not even almost in my budget. May end up going back with a full 5.9 just for reliability. I cant afford to keep blowing these things up. lol

Have you priced out longer rods? I'd be curious if the custom piston route is much cheaper? If I decided to destroke my 6.7, longer rods is my first option.

From what I have been told you can cut .080 off the block deck and use 6.7 pistons.

~ 0.087" will make up for the difference in pin height between the 6.7L and 5.9L piston, but this does not include the 0.160" difference in stroke.

Have you priced out longer rods? I'd be curious if the custom piston route is much cheaper? If I decided to destroke my 6.7, longer rods is my first option.

Somewhere around $100 more per rod than standard length "billet".

you could run standard 5.9 crank and rods with standard 6.7 piston. this leaves the piston down in the hole (forget how much right now, about .050 i think) dropping compression to 15:1 and have tons of room for valve clearance.
CompD Mobile Device

After buying quite a few parts and having quite a bit of machine work done, I was told the 6.7 is junk. That's why I am having it toned down to a mild daily driver so i can hopefully get at least a couple of years out of it at a modest power level. Those Conningham rods and ZZfab head were sure pretty though.

Tate have you ever asked Rich what he did with his 6.7?? Anyways, here's a vid of a destroked 6.7 with stock 6.7 pistons and a 12V head.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbvbSNfc-5s"]Destroked 6.7[/ame]

The stock 6.7 is awesome if your not trying to stuff 100+ lbs of boost and a bottle of NX in it every pass. We made over 300 passes in Aron nicks truck with a completely stock 6.7 running low 11's for a year and finally breaking into the 10's. It ran a few 10.70s on the stock motor. When i tore it down, everything looked perfect. It also had about 60k very hard street miles on it. If your planning on making 6-700hp in a street truck, the 6.7 blows the 5.9 out of the water, imo. But when you get to the 1000hp mark, you gotta spend some big money to make them live. We have a few ideas we're gonna try on a budget that haven't been tried before. So I'll let you guys know how it holds up. We finally came to a decision last night on a direction to go.

Get some chunks of billet. Find some one with the correct machinery and have the rods made. Would be cheaper then having Crower or Carrillo making them. I remember back in the day going with my dad to a friends shop he was making his own rods for his 3 x 3 tractor.

I agree get the custom rods and be able to use off the shelf pistons.

Back