Destroked tach adapter alternative

blackdiesel

I would like someone with more electrical knowledge than I to take a look at a possible alternative to the problematic destroked tach adapter. I've not heard very good reviews on the destroked product, and to my knowledge PCS is the company that manufactures it for them, so no suprise there in my book. Couple that with the fact they they have been on order for over three weeks and this piece is all I lack in finishing a conversion, I've been looking at other outlets.

However while talking to a co-worker this evening he told me about the speedohealer by Healtech. Sold in the US by
http://shop.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/Healtech-Electronics-Speedohealer-for-Ducati_p_38.html

digitally programmable down to .001% accurate to .025%

Or if you'd rather have the older version
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HealTech-SpeedoHealer-to-Fit-All-Bikes-NEW-/181570647245?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a467434cd&vxp=mtr#ht_400wt_1019

Has 6 dip switches, much like Destroked's adapter box that has seven.

So any thoughts? Would it work?

They they are not problematic, just finicky but once setup they are solid and steady. you just need to know what signals are on which wires. Dakoda Digital sells one also..

Guys I've talked to can't keep them sync'ed. Now whether that's a sensor or mount problem is a different story. Regardless the destroked adapter has been back ordered for three weeks now. I'm just looking for alternatives hoping to stumble on something better. I've emailed the president of bluemonkeypowersports and he's putting me in touch with the healtech engineers. So we'll see what comes of it

The Dakota digital looks like it gets its signal from the alt w post. I don't even know if I have a w post. Would be sweet if it could work but if acompany like healtech or whoever could engineer a product specifically to create ahard tach signal I imagine the 5r guys would have it good. If this don't work out I'm likely going standard.

Not sure if this will help or not but I could not get the tach sensor to work. The one I bought from destroke so I went to the parts house and bought one for a 6.0 and mounted in the destroke bracket. Works fine and I'm running a 5r110. Just a thought.

I've read through your posts and remember you saying the 5r wasn't quite up to your liking yet?

It is real close but not perfect. I drive it daily. I think my problem is with the TC being a little tight. I am going to get it restalled and see how that works. As for shifting thru the gears it does good. It just seems to get thru the gears to quick in traffic but on the highway when you you step on it and go it's fine. Hard to explain.

Ive built my own tach pickup kit and I use the factory 6.0 cam pos sensor. My first truck that I ever converted was my own and I bought the destroked kit, it sucks! Its been adjusted and verified to have .018 clearance but my tach needle jumped 3-500 rpm all the time. It jumped enough, that in the summer, I had to rev the engine at stop lights to keep the rpm above 900 so the a/c will stay on. I hated it. I've done 12 conversions now using my own design and they work flawlessly. I only had one issue so far and it was a large metal shaving tht had been magnetically stuck to the end of the sensor. Cleaned off the shaving, and no more problem.

Ive built my own tach pickup kit and I use the factory 6.0 cam pos sensor. My first truck that I ever converted was my own and I bought the destroked kit, it sucks! Its been adjusted and verified to have .018 clearance but my tach needle jumped 3-500 rpm all the time. It jumped enough, that in the summer, I had to rev the engine at stop lights to keep the rpm above 900 so the a/c will stay on. I hated it. I've done 12 conversions now using my own design and they work flawlessly. I only had one issue so far and it was a large metal shaving tht had been magnetically stuck to the end of the sensor. Cleaned off the shaving, and no more problem.
you said cam positioning sensor. Did you mean crank instead for the tach tone wheel? If so what are you doing for a cam signal

Does your setup require you run it int he factory location or could you move it to the balancer?

Mine jumps around 500 rpm as well, and I can't get the A/C to work. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of what you did too.

The PCS Software has adjustments for this issue, you just need to learn how to use it, these controllers are universal and not one size fits all files for every application.

The PCS Software has adjustments for this issue, you just need to learn how to use it, these controllers are universal and not one size fits all files for every application.

That'd be great if i could get my hands on one. I've been given the run around for three weeks on it and I'm needing my truck on the road yesterday. I've asked you for instructions on them to analyze so I'll know how to use it if one ever arrives and never got a response.

That being said I've talked to several people and have hardly heard anything good about them. I'm in the process of talking to the engineers at healtech about manufacturing a box that will emulate the cam and crank sensor that the pcm needs to see in order for the tach to be dead nuts. We'll see what they have to say about it.

Back