Determining spacer size for dually?

wannabecummins

Baloney Tugboat
I'm looking into running some 33x12.50x17 tires on my dually. How do you determine what size of spacer to use between the duals? Currently running 265/70/R17's without a spacer.

im pretty sure in order to run that size tire you will need a minimum of 1.5" wheel spaces but id go 2" to be safe.

The 2" is the best so that you don't have to trim your studs on the truck. If you tow on a regular basis I would be sure and get the steel one not aluminum one for I have found out the hard way that they will crack under strain.

Thanks for the info, now where is a good place to look for spacers that are goon to last? Anyone have bad experiences with spacers?

I had steel spacers made for my truck running 35x12.5x17r and their 2.75" and I don't have much room in-between the duals. I think that 2" isn't enough for our trucks especially if you still use your truck for what it was designed for.

I had Fred goesky make mine from wheelspacers.com. no issues at all and I race and off road with them constantly.

I have 285/70/r17 with 2" spacers and there is a good 1 1/2" betwen the duals. It may depend on the air pressure that you run in them as to how close they get. I run 75 psig and haul pretty heavy on a regular basis that's why I found a company that made the spacers out of T1-11. That was several years ago and since they have gone out of business. There is a company on ebay that sells some sort of steel spacers a friend of mine bought. They seem to be holding up well. Believe this company is out of houston not sure of the name though.

I have 285/70-17, I just got rid of the 2in space and put a half in, it is perfect now

posted with CompD mobile

So I see we've got a few different suggestion's. Could I get some pics of the clearance between your rear duals? And what size should I go with. I have no clue and don't even know how to go about determining what size of spacer I need.

i run 33/12.5r17s on my 04 with 3 inch rear spacers and they have 3/4 inch more space than stockers had

i have 285-70-17's with a 1/2 inch spacer too. Your best bet is to get two tires, mount them on your wheels, set em where you want em and measure in between

I just put a set of 285/70/17s on my dually with 2.5" spacer what the guy at the tire shop recommended and they are way to far apart I called him today and told him to order me a 1" set.

you want a 2 inch spacer w/ 285s on a 16 inch rim, not a 17. I had 265s on my last dually with 16's and I needed a 1.5 inch spacer. Wheel diameter makes a difference on actual measurement of tires. CREED, You should get 1/2 inch slip on spacers so you dont need to cut your lug studs. With the 1 inch spacers, they will have to be cut so they dont stick thru the spacer

Back