Diesel Drag Racing - Commentary

Dockboy

Comps BFF
I have pondered and discussed the following thoughts regarding the current state, or appearance of diesel drag racing for a while. So I thought I would throw out my observations and see what people’s feelings are on the subject. My comments are not directed at any one person specifically but rather a general overall observation.

At our organized “diesel only” races or any organized drag race for that matter, there is one thing that it seems most of our newer diesel racers fail to show up with. That is an understanding of exactly what real "drag racing" is all about. Also, how important proper racing edict is. Unfortunately I think this all stems from an internet diesel forum driven misconception of the exact purpose of the racing. This failure tends to reflect negatively on tracks and other racers in general.

This is Drag RACING...NOT... Drag RECORD-ING!!!:rules:

While it is great to build or have a fast truck that can set whatever the constant changing “record” of the month is so it can be posted on the internet for the endless “way to go”, “Congrats”, etc. responses, it is far from making the truck and/or the driver a “drag racer”. In fact, being able to post a “record” has little if anything to do with how far you can go or how well you will do in an organized race.

Drag racing for the most part is all about what happens from the water box to the 60’ block. Yet most of the diesel truck racers I observe at events are lacking the experience and practice in this small section of the track. That is because people rarely, if ever, practice this part of racing. They are more concerned with what will happen 1320’ down the track and setting a “record”. This is what I want to discuss … PRACTICE!!!

Sometimes this is easier to explain if I correlate it to Golf…

Over 80% of the strokes in golf occur within 100 yrds. of the green. About 75% of that 80 are putts. Yet nearly every weekend golfer will go to the driving range and pound 100’s of drivers then make 2 or 3 putts on the practice green before playing. At the end of the round, they wonder why they can’t break 100. :doh:

Same thing happens in drag racing…People go to T&T’s and try to run “record” passes every time, and never practice what is really important to being a successful racer.

PRACTICE…PRACTICE…PRACTICE

1st… Know and learn the proper edict and procedures for the track where you are racing. How to pull in the staging lanes. When to pull up to the box. Which way to drive around the water box if needed. What type of tree will be used? Etc. If you don’t know, ask an official. These small things go a long way in what kind of respect the track officials and other racers will show towards you.

2nd… Use a T&T session to do nothing but practicing staging!! In other words, only concentrate on pulling in the box, burn out procedure (if you do one), preparing any settings, switches, etc. for the launch before staging, preboosting into the beams and fully staging at the proper boost levels for your particular setup. Don’t worry about the other lane (besides using proper edict), reaction time, or what you will run in the ¼. Use this practice to get a smooth efficient staging routine down that also produces your best 60’s. Nothing irritates the track and your competitor more than someone taking forever to boost and stage!! Also, save the truck!! No need to run it out past 330’ or 660’! All you are concentrating on is staging… That is it!!

3rd… Once you can produce a consistent staging procedure, next thing is to work on your reaction time. Know what tree you are on! Pro .400 or .500, Sportsman .400 or .500 etc. If there is a particular tree you want to practice on, put it on the window. The track will change the tree for you. R/T is one of the most important things in winning races!! Again, you are only working on R/T so save the truck. No need to run it out. Figure out how deep or shallow to stage for your particular setup and roll out. Work on cutting consistent .0XX R/T’s.

4th… Put it all together!! After a lot of constant and persistent practice, you should be able to produce a consistent type of run. Besides the fact that you will look like an experienced racer rather than a redneck hillbilly trying to race a diesel truck!!

5th… Enter other races besides “diesel only” events. Watch and learn from the gasser racers regardless of what you think of them, most know what they are doing.

I guess what I am getting at is if we want diesel drag racing to grow and be respected… us actually doing the racing need to know what we are doing and act accordingly!!

Then again, if all you are worried about is posting a time for kudos on the internet…stick to T&T’s and leave the racing to racers :poke:

Not pissed or upset at all.

Just a general comment. We all want diesel racing to grow... conducting ourselves like real "racers" goes a long way towards that goal.

Again, not directed at any person specifically.

Im sure the first time out i will mess something up. There arent many drag strips close to me so i cant practice much. hopefully i can learn enough here i wont make as many mistakes my first time out!

hell ya dockboy i went out to the local track tonite for T&T. gotta make sure the truck is right for SDX next month

Good thread and all good points. Ive made countless runs in my truck in its current state, though it's not particularly fast but I know what to do in the staging lanes and cut a pretty decent light usually. I understand it's more than just getting a fast time.

Good read and reaction time and 60' is something I need to work on

Very good info

Greg, I like how you think! It's funny that i'm told i'm lucky all the time. I can turn mine up just like everyone else but I don't. I can run 10.50's and go round after round. It's kinda amazing how many races one can win just being there at the end. I have race 28 years and the hero stuff went out the window many years ago. I just can't afford it anymore. I will only run mine as fast as I have too to beat the guy beside me. It works pretty well as I have won the last 3(NADM trails,NHRDA Indy,DTS Atlanta) races. Jeff

Also

A BIG THAHKS go out to Fleece Performance for all the help with being there round after round. You have to be in it to win it. Shamless plug Jeff

Awesome freakin post Greg. While we're on this subject, does anyone have a link to break down the edicate of drag racing, the different types of trees and their differences, and proper staging edicate etcc.... I've been to a couple different tracks with bean and they've all been completely different on rules as to where I can stand and what I can do as far as trying to help him line up and stuff, and I will be racing in the future as well so the more info I can get, the better

Sometimes this is easier to explain if I correlate it to Golf…

Over 80% of the strokes in golf occur within 100 yrds. of the green. About 75% of that 80 are putts. Yet nearly every weekend golfer will go to the driving range and pound 100’s of drivers then make 2 or 3 putts on the practice green before playing. At the end of the round, they wonder why they can’t break 100. :doh:

Same thing happens in drag racing…People go to T&T’s and try to run “record” passes every time, and never practice what is really important to being a successful racer.

Very good points in this entire thread. I do like the comparison to golf, because I always try and tell people to work on their short game, that's what will truly make the difference between an average golfer and a good golfer.

Dockboy that is well said.
I am tired of hearing oh I have the fastest stock motor duramax record, I have the fastest longbed four door CR.

Go out and race. You dont hear about guys in the NHRA or IHRA saying they have the fastest 25,000 motor in a camaro body... NO they go out and race.

Very nice post and I think it got the point across.

I agree!!! Think how many times you have pre-staged and the guy beside you either takes to long and you burn your trans on the line or he's too quick and you don't have any time to build boost because you don't want to take too long and burn him down!! You must first learn and figure out your truck before you try and go fast. The going fast is easy, keeping it consistent isn't.

my biggest pet peeve is sitting at the tree burning the car down (getting hot) while the dumbass next to be decides to take his time burning out, backing up and doing 3 dry hops as well as having his redneck brother in law have to line him up at the lights cuz hes too stupid to watch the top bulb.

just to have me kick his ass down the track and not run the number i am looking for because i am so frustrated at him.

yes, that is a rant. but basically get up around/through the water box and get it done and stage fast.

Awesome freakin post Greg. While we're on this subject, does anyone have a link to break down the edicate of drag racing, the different types of trees and their differences, and proper staging edicate etcc.... I've been to a couple different tracks with bean and they've all been completely different on rules as to where I can stand and what I can do as far as trying to help him line up and stuff, and I will be racing in the future as well so the more info I can get, the better

Thanks.

The best thing to do is to talk to the official that is controlling the staging lanes. Let them know that you are crewing for a particular vehicle and need to line them up. Ask them where and when you can go into the box. They all have radio's so the starting line crew shoiuld know to expect you in thier area. Only enter the area right before your vehicle is ready to run and leave as soon as the run is over watching out for the next vehicle getting ready to run.

There are 3 basic types of trees. Pro .500, Pro .400. and Sportsman (full) .500. Pro trees all 3 ambers come on at once. The time the ambers stay lit before the green can be either .400 or .500 seconds. A Sportsman tree counts down the ambers and each one stays on for .500 seconds.

There is also Autostart. At most T&T's Autostart is off. At most races it is on. When Autostart is on, once 3 stage lights are lit (both pre-stage and 1 full-stage) the competitor not fully staged has 7-10 sec. to get staged or they will be timed out and get a red light.

It is always sportsman like to practice "courtesy staging". This is where the first person to pre-stage waits for the other competitor to pre-stage before pulling in to the full stage. In other words, don't double bulb.

Back