Diesel pickup running SuperPro at Bracket Finals

paulb

Next week a diesel pickup will be racing in the Division 6 bracket finals and the Division 6 Race of Champions, in the Super Pro class. As far as I know this is the first time a diesel pickup will be running in Super Pro at the bracket finals, much less in the race of champions. The pickup will be the 05 in my sig. I will be racing my 02 in the Pro class.

Here is the story. A friend of mine races a front end dragster that runs a small block hemi (354cubic in, bored and stroked to a 408). In the last round of the last points race of the season, a rod bolt broke, which ended up windowing the block. Putting together another engine (even finding the parts), in the time frame, would not be possible. He ended up 3rd in the points for the season, which qualifies him for the Race of Champions. I have crew chiefed for him for years, both in bracket racing and running in A/ND. I offered to let him run my 05 Dodge pickup at the bracket finals. Last friday night he ran it at Medford, and had a blast. We decided that he could be competitive in Super Pro running the pickup.

As an end result I will be racing my 02 at the bracket finals, and he will be racing my 05. The reason he will be racing the 05, is because in Super Pro you have to dial 11.99 or quicker. My 02 won't quiet run that.

Thanks to everyone that has helped this year, to get the 05 to the point that it will be competitive in SuperPro.

Paul

If nothing else, this should make for some great photos and commentary! I personally think it's overrated being the faster car doing the chasing, I'd rather have a clean view of the tree by having my lights come down first.

When are you guys getting to Boise? I'm thinking of taking Thursday off too so I can run the test & tune.

We should have at least 4 diesels running there. Rodney Hohlt, PIR's sportsman track champion from last year, will be driving a friend's tow rig (05 CR Dodge). I will be racing my F350 in Sportsman and my Vega in Pro.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

If nothing else, this should make for some great photos and commentary! I personally think it's overrated being the faster car doing the chasing, I'd rather have a clean view of the tree by having my lights come down first.

When are you guys getting to Boise? I'm thinking of taking Thursday off too so I can run the test & tune.

We should have at least 4 diesels running there. Rodney Hohlt, PIR's sportsman track champion from last year, will be driving a friend's tow rig (05 CR Dodge). I will be racing my F350 in Sportsman and my Vega in Pro.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I usually like to be the faster car for the finish line racing, but once the over take speeds gets to be big enough it doesn't matter. A 20mph or more difference at the finish line, and it doesn't matter if you are the fast one or the slow one, nobody had better lift!

We plan on getting to the race track either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. The test & tune is always fun, and there is usually a gamblers race of some type going on.

There is usually a few more diesels that show up. I know there is a gal from Madras that races a diesel in sportsman.

Paul

That's awsome Paul, can't wait to hear the results, see ya in Medford :rockwoot:

I usually like to be the faster car for the finish line racing, but once the over take speeds gets to be big enough it doesn't matter. A 20mph or more difference at the finish line, and it doesn't matter if you are the fast one or the slow one, nobody had better lift!

We plan on getting to the race track either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. The test & tune is always fun, and there is usually a gamblers race of some type going on.

There is usually a few more diesels that show up. I know there is a gal from Madras that races a diesel in sportsman.

Paul

Are you guys staying at the track this time? I am planning on it.

Regards,
Michael

Are you guys staying at the track this time? I am planning on it.

Regards,
Michael

We're planning on it. We have stayed at the track every bracket final so far. I have to figure out how to get two pickups and a travel trailer to Boise. Or actually which pickup is going to tow the travel trailer. I wonder if there has ever been a Super Pro car/truck pull a travel trailer to the race... :hehe:

Paul

Cool! Does the race truck have a hitch yet? Too bad Oregon doesn't allow light duty trailers in combination, you could add a hitch to the back of the flatbed and tow the travel trailer behind it. I see it all the time in the midwest!

Regards,
Michael

Cool! Does the race truck have a hitch yet? Too bad Oregon doesn't allow light duty trailers in combination, you could add a hitch to the back of the flatbed and tow the travel trailer behind it. I see it all the time in the midwest!

Regards,
Michael

Yep, both race trucks have hitches. I do take the stinger out before racing though...:rules:

Paul

Paul you can use my trailer if you'd like. 21' and everything works.

Paul you can use my trailer if you'd like. 21' and everything works.

Thanks Rob! I think we are all set though. I think it will just be easier to take my trailer, then to have Patty repack all of her stuff...:hehe:

Paul

I want to get a photo of the Super-Pro truck towing the trailer into the pit area!

Well, I'm here at the race (after staying up drinking with the hardest partying party animals). I'm not sure if everyone is getting older, or I'm getting more resillient, but I'm sitting here in my camper drinking beer after everyone here has gone to bed! Maybe it's a rare weekend without my kid, but I want to know where the parties are!

Paul and the guy driving his other truck have made a great impression for diesel performance. The '05 ran some very low 11's so far, and the '02 ran mid 12's, all in conditions with a corrected altitude of 5500+ feet! I have heard several people wondering about those two fast trucks. To add icing to the cake, Paul apparently drove the '05 to dinner tonight.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back