Difference in GSK's?

MCummings

It's my name ^
What's the difference in the GSK's out there? I figured they were all teh same, but, maybe not?

Enlighten me.

Merrick

I see some GSk's cost, $100 or so, some $250+, some over $300.

They all call themselves 4K GSK's, but, what is the difference? Once the boost is up, is there any difference? What about off boost, and light throttle? I'd like to have a GSK that has a gentle tip-in, but hard fueling at WOT...

Am I missing something?

Merrick

Some work, some suck. Higher price does NOT mean higher quality. If I need another set, I will go back to CDS for <$200. Garmon's $500 set made the truck idle and run terrible. No preload setting or shim on Garmon's would make it run correctly.

I like Peak Diesels 4k. They are Bosch springs. I have read that the cheap ones like pacbrake have broke a spring and taken out a pump.

I like the Peak version too, tried two different 5K's sets and I'm unable to make them work correctly without a stand, glad I have one locally now to tryout, if it doesn't work then off to CDS it goes.

Jim

Wow.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So pretty much, the quality of a GSK determines how well it idles, and if it attains the RPM it says it will, granted you have the setup to turn the R's.

I don't mind a little lope, or pump stutter at low idle. If it's a 150rpm or less, I think the wife and I could live with lope/stutter.

We are aiming for about 600hp, and +/- 5krpm.
I found some vids on youtube that I think I would be acceptable with, and maybe even enjoy...

I actually would enjoy this lope/stutter...
YouTube - P Pumped 24 Valve Cummins Lope Idle

This would be okay as well.
YouTube - Cummins Lope 2

I know it's a 24v, but, this wouldn't be too bad either... but, I don't think it'd do well with an auto...
YouTube - monster idle 2

Is the unstable idle yall are experiencing similar to this? or worse? I'm just curious because different people have different preferences, and different tolerances to lope.

Thanks,
Merrick

I like Peak Diesels 4k. They are Bosch springs. I have read that the cheap ones like pacbrake have broke a spring and taken out a pump.

well that sucks. i have the pacbrake 4k but now i might look for something else. ive been wanting to get a 5k anyways.

Garrett

i have pdr 4k springs, which im pretty sure are the same as peak diesel 4k springs, and they idle good.

Back