Divorce-mount np205

20valve

Tired 215
So a while back, I picked up a 2wd nv4500 for my '98 for a really good price. I was going to swap the rear housing on the back for the 4wd version and the mainshaft, but I got another good deal on a driver's side drop divorce-mount np205 out of a mid-70's ford. I tore it down, ordered a rebuild kit, had my shift rails machined for twin stick ability, and 32 spline 1410 yokes all the way around.

The case is ready to go back together, but I'm having problems coming up with a crossmember to hang it from. I've searched a few other forums and have came up with some good results, but I want to see what the masses here think.

This was someone else's design for a newer chevy, I believe DNRcustoms, from another forum:

Custom205t-case.jpg

Custom205t-case2.jpg

input is appreciated.

Any reason? I have zero fab skills/metal knowledge, so I don't know what you mean by "I wouldn't run that crossmember". If you have something to share, by all means, share it.

Edit: If you're talking about the welds, I will bolt mine in.

^^^^ simple yet looks a lot stronger! if it were me i would have run a solid piece of tubing across the top straight and welded drops on it to the mounting points then gusset it. im no fab pro either but something about six welded joints at all different angles i dont like it. or if you couldn't fit a straight tube across the top i think you could do it in four joints and weld in a few triangle gussets. but i like to go a little overboard when building things,

Nice fab work. I've never seen one mounted like that, but I like it. Was there no chance of using the upper mount on the driver's side? Like you did on the passenger side?

BigD, I had a pic somewhere of what you're talking about. I just don't remember how they mounted the 4 studs at the top. I had also seen another one where they basically made a cradle out of 2x6 box tubing around the whole thing, then hung it from a crossmember like you had said.

What was that crossmember out of in the chevy?

I can't answer any of those questions, that would be for Luke to answer. I can pass the questions on though.

hey. thats my 205 tate put up. it had to be oriented flat bottom. to clear the floorpan (minimize 3lb sledge action) and have both front yolks clear above the torsionbar crossmember. could not go under the IFS crossmember, too low to ground, and ujoint angles would not work oriented like that. Sooooo. necessity was the mother of invention there.

Now all that and the Chevy body is going into an '06 F450 chassis.......thats my story and I'm sticking to it :bang

:hehe:

and to answer the other question there too, we used the old carrier bearing crossmember for the mount, flipped upside down. it was pretty light guage. so we cut the wings off it, and plated it with 1/4" on each side. its ok.

will still likely add a torsional strut from the top of it to the tranny somewhere. after it gets punked into the 450 frame.

The more power you add the heavier duty you want things. However with that being said, 18 wheelers had AUX transmissions for years hung from the frame with little more than a chunk of 1/4" angle iron on the rear that a bolt dropped through with a rubber bushing to the trans with a similiar setup on the front. If it can haul 80k lbs I would think that a similiar setup would work for you. After all the Ford only had a crossmember that ran across the frame and a strut arm to help orient it.

I whipped the one pictured above up about 4 yes ago and told the guy if he ever broke it let me know . Last I heard he had military axles with a big block, so. I dont have a tube bender at the time or else I would have done it a bit different. I couldn't hang it any lower because of the driveshaft angles. So anybody that was doubting the joints, u could run a hitch off that bad boy!!

Glad to hear some feedback, as this is the only site (oddly enough) that I had more than 1 or 2 responses to.

I liked the one you posted, DNR, because it was something that looked like it could be completed in a weekend. I also like the other one, because it was a cradle-style. But I don't have the clearance issues he had, so I may go with a hanging style. Anyone have any pics of the factory crossmembers they used with these tcases from the factory?

the stock divorced '70s ford hangar was 2 piece IIRC. one bolted driverside mounts to the frame. the other bolted pass side to the frame. and just hung there.

Doesn't seem very strong that way. Not sure what the factory hp/tq numbers were, but that may not work for this application.

I've heard that vibrations from these swaps are common. Do you have any problem with yours? I'm guessing due to driveline angles, or the way the case is oriented.

I'm just passing on what I recall the OEM useing in 1977. it obviously worked. there was also a substantial torque rod on it too.

I didn't have a vibration issue in mine.

i ran a stock ford one for awhile. its actually 1 piece an very stout. i have since switched to a married nv-4500 combo but i abused the divorced set with no issues. i think i have a couple kicking around but im sure you can find one locally.

Well, depending on where you are in UT, I might be local to you. I have seen one online, but it was hacked to pieces. If you have one lying around, I might be able to use it in this swap, but box it up a little more. I have some spare 2" tubing and some poly bushings to make a pretty stout torque arm out of. PM me where you are and a price, if you want to sell one.

Back