DIY coolant bypass

APWCU

Before I raced my truck, I installed a homemade coolant bypass system to prevent the rear freeze plug from blowing out. I have a rear freeze plug plate with oring that I drilled and tapped to 1/4 npt and ran a 90 degree fitting to a swagelock adapter, through some stainless tubing, adapters and eventually to a watts pressure relief valve that is set at 50 psi.

I then plumbed into my heater core lines (which is bypassed due to leak). It seems to work great and I raced 12 times and dynoed my truck, at over 4k rpms many times.

I'm getting ready to replace my heater core, and am wondering if it's a bad idea to reroute the coolant back torwards the heater core, instead of taking it into the upper radiator hose. In not sure if it's related, but as soon as I put my compounds on my heater core started leaking.

Here's some pics of how it is now. uploadfromtaptalk1442854245823.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442854339952.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Any opinions? I'm about to wrap this job up.

Should I go ahead and buy a tee to put in the upper radiator hose?

I drilled and tapped for mine at the coolant neck so it would relieve back into the top radiator hose.

I tee mine into heater core return

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I put mine in the top rad hose neck with a watts valve with 5/8 hose. on mine i also put a 1/4 turn in so when your going to play around/or tow heavy it can open up

I ended up just teeing it back inline with the heater core hose just for ease.

We will see if this was a good idea or not.

Back