Do I need a tripple disc converter?

high toned sob

No Smoke
Hey all, I need some trans advice. Here's the plan for the truck.
It's a 12 valve 47rh 98 1 ton QC longebed 4x4. I am currently running 4;10 gears (which i would like to change to 3.55's) and 35" tires. I am planning on a "common" twins build shooting for 650hp roughly. I am posting a different thread about the engine mods if ya'll would be kind enough to read it also.
Anyhow, I am planning on rebuilding it myself, I have done lot's of auto's in the past, th400's, 700r4's, 727's, e40d, etc. etc.
Do I "need" the tripple disc converter, performance valve body, HD band, fairbanks solenoid, etc.?
The truk is just kind of a hot street truck, maybe tow my Olds to the track or cattle trailer (10,000 lbs. MAX) and it might pull at the local Guernsey County Fair truck pull at fair-time.
Can i run a two-disc, max out my line pressure, and put in a shift kit with a good set of clutches, or not?
thanks,
mike

IMO you'll need a triple disk converter, valve body along with billet apply lever, strap & anchor, and a billet input shaft if you plan on towing with that kind of power.

Triple disc, valve body, billet input, & upgrade the flexplate at a minimum. Save your self a lot of trouble and get a full billet unit, IMO.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! Thanks for remembering the flex plate. I've seen enough of the stock ones with the center torn out...

Back