Do I need 'em? Head Studs on an '03

Just realize that once you put those parts on, you might need head studs the day after, or a year or two later. Better to start budgeting for the total cost of them ASAP.
I had my SCT on about 2 years before I really needed studs. Luckily, I bought some before that, and when mine started puking, I got them installed.

How much did YOU pay to have them installed?

Studs and EGR delete should be the first mods anyone with a 6 leaker should consider. Then after that, hopes and prayers will be the only thing left. I have had 5 motors in the last 15 months in and out of my truck. All with HG issues, and sheer stupidity with the HP I wanted. The only thing that has survived the first four motors are the Studs and EGR delete. JMHO!!!!

I have been driving my truck with Eric's Xtreme race for about 20,000miles I believe. I have had a little puking here and there but nothing major. Headstuds and EGR delete will be my next mod to the truck power wise (yes I know they don't actually add power)

The cost to put the studs in should be pretty much the same weather the gaskets are blown or not, depending on how long you drive around with blown gaskets or if you overheat the truck. Get the heads checked at a machine shop for cracks and flatness (ford spec on flatness isn't good enough)

Some say you can install the studs in the cab on the truck but it takes some creativity, most will opt to either pull the cab or pull the motor to get them in and this is where much of the labor cost comes from.

Everyone has said yes its a good idea , but no one has said YOU can do it yourself. It might take a couple of days , but with the right tools and jacking the cab up some it can be done. I did mine when I did injectors , then had to go in again and retorque. Its not much fun , but neither is $4000 !

Yeah:/ I'm just scared to put $4000 into a truck that's 6 years old. And does this help at all: I have a warranty until the end of 2010!

Everyone has said yes its a good idea , but no one has said YOU can do it yourself. It might take a couple of days , but with the right tools and jacking the cab up some it can be done. I did mine when I did injectors , then had to go in again and retorque. Its not much fun , but neither is $4000 !

If you loosen the motor mounts, and remove the bolts from the transmission mount, you can jack up the back of the trans making the rear studs much easier. The retorq thing is fairly controversial. Some say you must others say not to. I have honestly done both. Failure on both accounts in my book. But I also went for mass boost and a lot of fuel. If 6.0L had 6 studs per cylinder it would have been an amazing motor. But at four per cyl. you just can't get an even torque to hold. Just accept unless you're consuming gallons of coolant per day, you just have another 6 leaker. They are a love hate relationship,,, you know, you love to hate em.

That's why I ask cuz this $500 SCT X3 isn't doin much good just sitting on my kitchen counter.

load that sct up!!:evil just take it easy.lol!! if you blow gaskets take tune off and send in for warranty work. Im about to put mine in the shop to have arp's installed under warranty there wanting $100 bucks extra but problem solved.

Could the fact that I still have a warranty till the end of 2010 help me at all?

Yes and NO. Yes if the dealer is friendly they may, however they have a computer that plugs into your OBDII port and it can tell how many times your motor has been started since your last download. Be careful! I got turned down and paid out of pocket before deciding to never again take my truck to a stealership. Always remember that the techs may be knowledgable, but the dealer is a crook. Warranty's are written to be grey, not black or white so it is up to the dealership service manager to interpret.

I thought when you returned the truck to stock from the SCT there was no way they could tell?

They can tell how many times you've tried to start your truck since a reflash. Puking is when the coolant is forced out the overflow bottle (degass) due to compression escaping the cylinder to the water jackets adding additional pressure to the cooling system.

Ive got a '06 6.0l, In stock form i have gone through a few sets of Heads, Head Gaskets, EGR and Oil Coolers.. I was gonna do Studs, then i decided that the 6.0l isn't worth the Price/Risk to play.. I'll get a 7.3l or 6.4l for that

If you can afford to, do it as soon as possible. Its just good insurance.

I had no idea that both of mine were blown until I got the studs done. When the tech pulled the heads off of my engine, both gaskets were blown pretty badly. My truck never puked a drop.........

If you can afford to, do it as soon as possible. Its just good insurance.

I had no idea that both of mine were blown until I got the studs done. When the tech pulled the heads off of my engine, both gaskets were blown pretty badly. My truck never puked a drop.........

Did you notice a power change after the new gaskets were put on?

I know I need new gaskets, probably injectors and midas well upgrade the turbo too lol. Now only if I could shart 10k Id be good to go.

I had an SCT on my 06 at about 20k miles. I drove it like that for a while, it didn't take long before puking. My dealer did my studs under warranty. I paid $385 shipped for my studs and the $100 deductible at the dealer. The truck still runs fine with blown headgaskets and when I got the studs put in I didn't notice one difference in driving other than it didn't puke... for a little while... its puking again though. Need to do that EGR delete SOON.

Back