Do It Yourself BEDLINER KIT Al's Liner

Got my Al's Liner today. Thanks Arnie! I won't be ready to pull the truck in the garage for a little while, but I promise to do a thread with pics soon.

Got my Al's Liner today. Thanks Arnie! I won't be ready to pull the truck in the garage for a little while, but I promise to do a thread with pics soon.

Excellent. Glad that you are on the program. I am excited about another project starting and finishing and hoping that it goes well for you. Cheers, Arnie

This is gonna be a fun project for me. I just need to figure out how to get a super fine texture to it, then I'll get started. I might do a few test panels soon.

Al's Liner color matching and Texture details

I just talked with Al's Liner earlier today and wanted to give you some specifics on color matching.

1) Do not use the Al's Liner tint when wanting to color match. This is an automotive tint/pigment and you can take it in to the automotive paint shop for a comparison of quantity.

2) Get the color code off your truck and go to an automotive paint supply shop and purchase pure tint/pigment for each one gallon kit (US gallon or 3.7 Litres). You must use twice the amount of tint per one gallon kit. Example. The Al's kit is 1/2 Cup then you will need 1 cup of pure tint for each one gallon used. The Al's Liner product has all the proper hardeners and is ready for a pure tint/pigment NOT PAINT. If your paint has metallic flakes then they will need to be added as well.

3) When mixing the tint in with the other three components it will not look like it is going to match. Have faith. As it cures and it may take up to 48 hours for the Al's product to cure, it will cure to the color that you have chosen. That is what I am told by the Al's technicians. Do not add additional tint when you are mixing due to your concerns of it not matching when it is in liquid form.

If you have any further questions regarding custom color matching please ask and I can call Al's for clarification.

The key to getting a fine texture to your particular application is going to be using higher air pressure and less trigger.

The other thing you may want to consider is the shine that Al's normally has. If you want a satin or flat finish then you will need to add the vinyl flattener that is sold separately. By adding the vinyl flattener product it also increases the hardness of Al's by 10%.

Hope this helps you on your quest for perfection.

Cheers, Arnie

Thanks Arnie! I appreciate all of the help.

Cute baby, is that your's? Whats her name? Wife says that shes cute too! You're welcome. I would like to see this thread as popular as the CF thread! AP

Last edited:
Cute baby, is that your's? Whats her name? Wife says that shes cute too! You're welcome. I would like to see this thread as popular as the CF thread! AP

Thanks Arnie [and wife]. Yes, My daughter was born on October, 8 & her name is Ella Marie Lent. My mother passed away in 2004 & we named her after my mom.

I picked up my paint pigments [color match] today, cost $18.00 for 1 1/2 quarts.

You should start posting the photos of your project on this one forum and I think on the other one as well. Just a thought! AP

I will, as soon as I get started. If I start posting now, we will have 30 pages of B.S. before the next pic. LOL

We can edit out the BS:blahblah1::blahblah1: I'm done for the night. Going hunting with my 8 year old in the AM See ya. AP

any one ever do anything with the stock front bumper? mine the plastics are faded and would like to do somthing to make it look better. i had a thought to sand it all real good including the plastics and spray the liner and cover up the bumper with it chrome plastics and all. any idea how well this stuff would stick to plastics on a bumper how bout it stickin to chrome? thanks

any one ever do anything with the stock front bumper? mine the plastics are faded and would like to do somthing to make it look better. i had a thought to sand it all real good including the plastics and spray the liner and cover up the bumper with it chrome plastics and all. any idea how well this stuff would stick to plastics on a bumper how bout it stickin to chrome? thanks

They don't recommend using it on plastics quite yet. If you are just trying to repair a faded plastic cover, just get some Mothers "Back to Black" & clean them up. If that doesn't work, a heat gun will do it, just don't stay in one spot too long.

sounds good mabey ill just do the chrome part of the bumper and clean up the plastics. thanks

sounds good mabey ill just do the chrome part of the bumper and clean up the plastics. thanks

When spraying chrome, be sure to sand it very well with 80 grit. Then spray epoxy primer on it before topcoating.

Al's liner and Chrome

To apply Al's Liner to chrome you must use a two component etching primer that is rated for chrome. There are some two parted etching primers out there that are not for chrome so be careful that it is. In discussing the required 5 - 7 CFM for an air compressor you can use a pig to increase your volume but it is the 20 minute pot life of the product that may be the issue. Hope that helps. Arnie

To apply Al's Liner to chrome you must use a two component etching primer that is rated for chrome. There are some two parted etching primers out there that are not for chrome so be careful that it is. In discussing the required 5 - 7 CFM for an air compressor you can use a pig to increase your volume but it is the 20 minute pot life of the product that may be the issue. Hope that helps. Arnie

Als thinks that primer is better than epoxy primer?

Als thinks that primer is better than epoxy primer?

"Chrome can be a bear, you either have to thoroughly scratch and scuff the
chrome with 36 grit, insuring that all lose material is removed or have it
sand blasted. I would recommend a light coat of etching primer to insure a
good bite as well." Al's Liner rep.

welp got the kit in today and did my truck up. it took about 5 solid hours but man it looks good, mostly just prepping sanding and cleaning for about 2 hours than and hour for taping off then about 30 minutes to spray it. took the rest of the time for me to clean my huge mess!!!!that stuff is sweet, couple notes to think about..(wear coverals and rubber gloves) i didnt and i am still scrubbin off bedliner. put drop cloths down if you dont want overspray all over the garage floor, and one last thing and this is the most important.....when your tring to spray the underside of your floorpans remember that there is an open top and when you tilt the gun back so far it dumps bedliner all over your face,,,, but other than my messyness that stuff is the good stuff. easy to mix, easy to spray and goes on however you want, i was playin around with the gun and could get any texture i wanted. either big thick clupy or tight uniform pattern. i went with inbetween and layed it down thick. i used 2 gallons for the rocker panels the rear bumper and the cab floor pans. ill post pictures tomarrow hopefully, ill take some in the morning. looks like a new truck.

Back