Dodge AFC vs Mack AFC

Leiffi

Was messing today with my friends 350 hp 11 liter Mack fuel pump. I was going to mod the AFC for longer travel but found out that the washers both sides of the diaphragm are hitting the housing limiting the travel to about 9,5 mm. The washer are thin and flat on both sides of the diaphragm, not cupped like Dodge. How much travel does Dodge AFC have ?
DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

Get ahold of Seth. He just did a couple of Mack P7100 pumps for a customer of mine. He was very insightful on these. We found out they do not respond to tuning like a dodge app. Sliding the plate too far actually DECREASED fuel. May have some insight on the rest of the tuning.

We found out they do not respond to tuning like a dodge app. Sliding the plate too far actually DECREASED fuel.

Same happens with some Iveco V8 pumps, their plungers have cuts that decrease fuel when rack goes too far. Dont know why they are made so, to prevent breaking them with too much power ? I think it's easy to see when it's too far when smoke increases but power decreases. Wasnt there some Dodge pump also that went retarded with too much rack travel ?

Same happens with some Iveco V8 pumps, their plungers have cuts that decrease fuel when rack goes too far. Dont know why they are made so, to prevent breaking them with too much power ? I think it's easy to see when it's too far when smoke increases but power decreases. Wasnt there some Dodge pump also that went retarded with too much rack travel ?

Yeah the 215 hp pumps retard timing IIRC at a certain amount of rack travel. I am far from an expert on the subject so I am not 100% certain.

We wondered the same thing about the Mack pumps, though. Possibly Bosch/Mack knew people could easily modify the pump and it was factored into the design.

I didnt get much smoke out of it, only slight haze so I think it is not too far. I fit a small 1,5 mm thick washer under the big washer so I got that much more travel.

I dont think it has much power yet, maybe 450 hp ?

Back