Does high timing = hazing?

bsmith

Never enough
I have a good bit of gray/ white hazing. Strong smelling, visable anytime of day.

It does clear up sometimes depending on the weather, but the smell is always there.

It that normal?

I have
7x12's with I think.010 lift
Smokems dv's
Roughly 26-28* timing
Flecthers cam
Stock lines

yah, that high of timing on a 12 valve will make it haze. not sure on a 24....?

Mine has a little when the motor is cold but once it gets some heat in it the haze goes away and it idles clear. 7x12s at 250 bar and 24* timing.

Mine hazes(and stinks) at any timing. I think its my injectors though, they havent been tested in a long time.

I had weston go over my injectors, clean em, re set to 280 or 305. I can't remember excatly. Whatever psi he recommends for ppump conversion.

This morn wasn't cold and I was sitting at a red light. The wind was blowing out the south, it just looked kinda crazy watching the smoke blow by me. I'm sure some people think my chits broke. I don't mind though.

The smell can be quite strong.

Is the color of my haze ok? Grayish, whitish?

With the vp it was a black haze.

This morn wasn't cold and I was sitting at a red light. The wind was blowing out the south, it just looked kinda crazy watching the smoke blow by me. I'm sure some people think my chits broke. I don't mind though.

The smell can be quite strong.

Is the color of my haze ok? Grayish, whitish?

With the vp it was a black haze.

Mine is the same way. When its sunny out i can watch it drift around and if it gets sucked in my vents i have to open a window or turn the air off.

Not sure what causes it, but it did get worse with the 191s over the .024s. Not by a lot, but i did notice a change.

In my 12v going from 20 to 24 picked up a decent amount of haze. The colder it is the more prevalent.

If there is haze the fuel spray must be on top of the piston.

Mine is the same way. When its sunny out i can watch it drift around and if it gets sucked in my vents i have to open a window or turn the air off.

Not sure what causes it, but it did get worse with the 191s over the .024s. Not by a lot, but i did notice a change.
What's your timing again?

its a combo of higher timing and dv's. for reference i tested back to back 022's,191's, and 024's as power went up from the .024's + 12hp to 191's and +3hp with the 022's.. haze got more pronounced and noticeable.. heat went up also..

pop pressure has alot to do with it as well. I ran my timing all the way up to 38 degrees by the end of the season and my truck barely hazed at all after it warmed up for a few minutes. I was surprised by it, but my pop pressures were high too.

its a combo of higher timing and dv's. for reference i tested back to back 022's,191's, and 024's as power went up from the .024's + 12hp to 191's and +3hp with the 022's.. haze got more pronounced and noticeable.. heat went up also..
Which ones did you go with in the end?

pop pressure has alot to do with it as well. I ran my timing all the way up to 38 degrees by the end of the season and my truck barely hazed at all after it warmed up for a few minutes. I was surprised by it, but my pop pressures were high too.
What's high pop off pressure?

i ended up using the 191's. i couldnt give up the power with the 024's and the 022's smoked almost like a cut dv and ran to hot towing for only 3hp. still cant beet the good ol 191's but i never tried westons magic dv's.. maybe sometime i'll buy a set to test.. this was all with my old combo with a single 64/71/12, fletchers drop super b drop in, ended up at 32* timing and was making right at 538hp but was making over 500 from 2k to 3600.. would run about 4400 down track pulling in 3rd with 3.54's

Last edited:

Bingo!

i ended up using the 191's. i couldnt give up the power with the 024's and the 022's smoked almost like a cut dv and ran to hot towing for only 3hp. still cant beet the good ol 191's but i never tried westons magic dv's.. maybe sometime i'll buy a set to test.. this was all with my old combo with a single 64/71/12, fletchers drop super b drop in, ended up at 32* timing and was making right at 538hp but was making over 500 from 2k to 3600.. would run about 4400 down track pulling in 3rd with 3.54's
I thought 181's were the ones everyone liked?

I these are westons magic dvs. Cut 131's suppose to be like full cuts but cleaner.

I thought 181's were the ones everyone liked?

depends on who you talk to, 181's seem to work well in 215 pumps that flow alot. if the 215's are really overfueled then .024's make more power but this again is only what brett, chad and i have seen. 191's have always worked best for me in the all around real world i use my trucks for.

I these are westons magic dvs. Cut 131's suppose to be like full cuts but cleaner.

well ive been told they do everything better, smoke less than most others, make less heat, and make more power..thats why i call em magic.. like i said i havent tried a set yet. i will some day..

Quicker fuel delivery from the .022 and .024 DVs will have the same effect as a few degrees of timing advance.

Higher pop pressure will make the injection event later creating the effect of a few degrees retarded timing.

All goes to reason...fuel spray outside of the bowl. To get the most gains from large injectors the spray angle must be modified to accommodate advanced injection timing.

Last edited:
Back