Does this sound right to you?

nummit

My truck is at the dealer due to a delay in the transmission when going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive, and also a little, occasional, shift flare. The dealership just called me and said the problems were caused by the fluid being 2 qts. low.
They have no idea where the fluid went since there are no leaks so I'm guessing it has been low since the reverse planetary recall was done almost two years ago.

Does anyone think that having the fliud 2 qts. low would cause problems like shift delays and flare?

sounds like solenoids. Been plenty of people have this same problem and that was the solution.

I was 100% convinced it was solenoids, but the dealer says the additional fluid fixed the problem.
I don't really believe it, but I guess I will find out when I pick the truck up later on today.
Would low fluid have any effect on solenoids?

My 03 did the exact same thing.
The trans. was low and shifting funny. The seal between the trans. and transfer case was leaking. Check the transfer case fluid, if its too full, there's your leak. It's just contained in the transfer case and not leaking on the floor.

Odd...I had the similar problem with my truck but it went away. I did have a flaring problem but I fixed it with a different tune.

Keep us posted.

Carssuck said:
My 03 did the exact same thing.
The trans. was low and shifting funny. The seal between the trans. and transfer case was leaking. Check the transfer case fluid, if its too full, there's your leak. It's just contained in the transfer case and not leaking on the floor.

How do you check the t-case fluid? I have never even looked at it

Mooring Product said:
Odd...I had the similar problem with my truck but it went away. I did have a flaring problem but I fixed it with a different tune.

Keep us posted.

I have been having this issue off and on for a year now. Like yours, it would act up for a while, then go away.
About three months ago it came back and didn't go away.

There are 2 plugs on the back of the transfer case, they are usually large allenheads.
Park on a level surface, take the top one out and stick your finger in the hole.
The fluid should be even with the hole or just below. If it comes draining out, it's too full.

Mine started as an intermittent flare and got worse also.

Transmission fluid don't dissipate, so there is no way it just vanished it's got to be leaking somewhere, as stated earlier check the transfer case if it isn't there keep looking because it's going somewhere. But I don't see two quarts low being that far off and causing your problem.

I purchased a truck a few months back, actually on the same day I got my stroke and the guy said the tranny wouldn't work at all. I took it home with a different tranny in my garage and just for shts and giggles, I checked the tranny fluid in the supposedly broke one. It was bone dry. I added fluid up to the full line and the tranny worked perfectly. I sold the truck for twice the money I bought it for a couple weeks later. Low fluid can cause alot. But like everyone said. It has to be going somewhere. It doesn't dissipate or burn off.

Pete -

I have the same problem, esp now in the cold weather. I took the SCT out and have been running it stock for a few weeks now and it seems to have cleared away so long as it has 5-10 minutes min to warm up before driving it. I was advised by the guys on here it may be solenoids but am curious as to whether yours is all set now that the tranny fluid was added...please let me know - thanks

i have been having issues with shift flare for a couple months also the reverse issue. i was also in the shop this week, ford told me first i had 2 bad solenoids today i was told all of them are shot and i need 1300 in parts plus labor.

guess its time to go suncoast

I was wondering the same as cbyron...but I personally think its just the luck of the draw with your own truck. From reading plenty of posts on here - some guys beat the piss out of there truck and have no problems for 80,000 miles - and other guys like me have less than 20,000 miles and already start to have some problems....I was reading another post on here called how hard do you beat it - and guys are talking about 4x4 launches...I feel like if I did that in my truck I'd be leaving part of it on the road lol. Very frusterating.

I get a pretty good flare between the 3-4 shifts, but it is usually only the first time I run it through the gears after sitting for a while. Like in the morning I will warm my truck up for 5-10 min before I leave to de-ice and when I pull out onto the main street and go (less than 1/3 throttle) it shift fine 1-2, 2-3, but the 3-4 flares and sometimes if I let off the pedal and get back into it, it will almost get stuck between shifts and buck a little! It will only happen once.

Could my fluid be a little low?

My truck was in today - they called and told me the same thing Pete...extremely low on tranny fluid, dip stick was dry. I mentioned the comment about if its leaking into the transfer case...will re-post when get more info

Back