Doing piston FEA stress/heat analysis, which one to do?

straight 6 roar

I'm doing a project in my advanced CAD class and decided to do a piston. However, I haven't picked one yet and I'm going to have trouble modeling one unless I can get some sketches from y'all. I'm going to model it in Solidworks and then do stress & heat analysis with ANSYS at school. $$$$$ program.

What piston would you guys like to see analyzed? Non-IC 1st gen vs. marine? 305 CR vs. 325 CR? CR would be easier to model since the bowl is centered :D

If I have some extra time after the project, I could do an H-beam billet rod vs. I-beam of particular aftermarket flavor if you guys can get me the dimensions.

Disclaimer: All data, images, models, and simulations in this thread and project are for educational purposes only. Do not replicate or use data for commercial use.

You just opened a can of worms lol. I would like to see the 12v stuff. But it is popular and has been discovered over and over again.(It seems) Data is a little less available on the common rails.

Attachments

• 1st Gen Non-IC Piston.JPG
    1st Gen Non-IC Piston.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
imho, your best bet is to post up a WTB thread for a single piston

I have a 286110 that could serve the purpose, the wrist pin clip retaining groove is broken that is the only thing wrong with it. As I have no use for it .

Just a thought let me know.

I have a 286110 that could serve the purpose, the wrist pin clip retaining groove is broken that is the only thing wrong with it. As I have no use for it .

Just a thought let me know.

Thanks a lot. PM'd.

Anyone have a scuffed up non-intercooled piston for free or close to it? I'll pay shipping.

Get a hold of Chris Snyder, can't think of his screen name. Think I saw on fb where he had the back half of a bed filled up with scrapped pistons.

My shop scrap went to salvage this week. If anything comes in soon Ill let you know.

893096_10151843383223662_1647787908_o.jpg

Dang, that would've been sweet to have my pick of those. Thanks for keeping an eye out. I've got a marine bowl coming (big thanks to 12VRoush)

Still need a 1st Gen non-IC if you guys know of one!! Otherwise I'll have to revert to 94-98

I saw the thread a little late, but if you're still working on the project give me a call at Mahle Motorsports (888-255-1942). Particularly for a school project, we'd be glad to share some tips and insight for the modeling process.
Eric

I saw the thread a little late, but if you're still working on the project give me a call at Mahle Motorsports (888-255-1942). Particularly for a school project, we'd be glad to share some tips and insight for the modeling process.
Eric

Sounds great, I'll give you a call on Monday.

In the mean time I have some more initial models, still waiting on a piston in the mail. Modeling the piston statically has proven difficult. Adding cylinder pressure and then fixed supports where the pin is mimics a situation where the crank is essentially frozen but cylinder pressure is at peak. This rigid situation shoots structural stress through the roof, which is unrealistic since the piston is actually in motion at a certain velocity/acceleration when peak cylinder pressure occurs. We're also getting some stress concentrations whether it be from mesh error or more trouble with the pin support. More refinements to come...

Attachments

• mesh.PNG
    mesh.PNG
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • stress.PNG
    stress.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • deformation.jpg
    deformation.jpg