Drag tire/rim setup

mopo824

Home Grown Show
So after talking with another guy who has a scsb like I do I have made a decision on tire size to run while racing. Probably going to go with the Mickey Thompsons in a 33x10.5x16 with the rim being 16x7 front and 16x10 rear. The problem I am having is deciding on which tire compound to run M5 or X5. This is where I need help from the guys who have knowledge in this area. Also if you think that the 33x10.5 is to tall please advise why and what you would recommend. I have added the links below. The wheels are crager d windows for those interested. The truck is as described below shows minus dana 70 with detroit locker (3.55 gear) and what the future holds. I will be removing the fuel tank for a 15 gallon fuel cell. A roll cage will be added for the track. For suspension I will be adding another 2" leaf to each side and flipping the axle so the leafs will run under the axle as to over it now. If any other mod to the suspension is done it will be at the mercy of the suspension shop that will be building the cage for me. Any info is appreciated.

The rims I am looking at are cragar d windows 16x10

M5
Mickey Thompson 3169W, Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks | Mickey Thompson

X5
Mickey Thompson 3170W, Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks | Mickey Thompson

Also looking at getting a pair of 16x7 rims 4" rear spacing and 0mm offset. Wil these fit on the front of a 95 2wd 2500? Or would I be better off going with a 16x8 4.5" rear spacing and 0mm offset? Again these will be on the fronts only and will be used at the track only.

95 2500 SCSB 2wd, .20 over, marine pistons, DFI 5x18 @ 155*, Hamilton 188/220,24v tappets, Hamilton push-rods, Hamilton valve springs, ad150, Scheid 13mm, Goerend built 47rh, Crazy Carls Twin Kit Silver 66/S480, pusher dual ram intake ARP 425, isspro, insane chassis works, 4" TBE to 6" stack

I will have to look at the compund on the tires we run but I think you will be fine with either. We run 16x12's on all 4 and I would highly recommend looking into an aluminum wheel.

I was looking at the specs a couple days ago and the x5 was less sticky than the m5, and was noted as "cooler running".

Yes that's what I read as well! 16x12 on all 4 with a 2wd? Where could I find some aluminum rims at? Would the 33x10.5 still fit or would I be better finding something xxX12?

I know the 10.5 calls for at least a 10" wide rim. How would it work on those rims that are 12" wide? Found some aluminum 16x10 and 16x8 rims made by raceline "rockcrusher". The tire setup he had put him in the 10s which is plenty good enough for me lol.

I have 33-10.5-16 slicks and they are too tall imo. They are actually taller then 33 also, like around 34.5" irrc. I have a 4 link on my truck and had it lowered as far as I could and the ass end still was up in the air (lost my pictures of it or I would post one).

With 3.55 I would think you would be better off with a 29-31" tire. When I ran at the track with my 33" AT's and 3.73 I could pick if I wanted to run out in 3rd or shift to overdrive trapping 118-121 mph. I plan on going down to a 31" slick. My truck does turn 6k though.

Last edited:
They will work fine for you on a 10" rim, slightly better and more stable on a 12". We run them on a 16 x 16 double beadlock on drag cars.

My truck is 4x4 however and a completely different setup so you may be able to get yours lower then mine.

I have drop shackles on it now but it will be lower when I do the under axle swap. I will more than likely have to tub the bed so not a big deal. I asked about a 29.5 to another guy and he said it was good for the hp he was at; but when he went into the larger numbers he had to change his tires because he was spinning I believe. The person with the 33x10.5 had the same gear and around the same hp I plan on producing. I won't be turning 6k that's for sure once I get back in the truck I will have to see if I want to upgrade the 4k springs to a 5k. I still want to be able to fart around town with it every now and again.

I agree with going with the 5k's, they will make more power and are easily streetable.

So after talking with another guy who has a scsb like I do I have made a decision on tire size to run while racing. Probably going to go with the Mickey Thompsons in a 33x10.5x16 with the rim being 16x7 front and 16x10 rear.

Negative on the front wheel width and questionable on the rear.
My preference would be drag radials. Much more stable and there's not a 4wd diesel truck on the planet that will over power them. I know they're generally short...adjust the gearing accordingly if you need to,

Last edited:
2wd Rico

Go with the 12" wheel the 10" is minimum the 12" will give you a better patch.

2wd Rico

Go with the 12" wheel the 10" is minimum the 12" will give you a better patch.

That's what I was thinking as well but was unsure. I would think I would want a wider tire being a 2wd but again I don't know much about the setups.

Negative on the front wheel width and questionable on the rear.
My preference would be drag radials. Much more stable and there's not a 4wd diesel truck on the planet that will over power them. I know they're generally short...adjust the gearing accordingly if you need to,

I am running on a 2wd not a 4x4 its ok I speed read sometimes too :lolly:

A properly set up 5k gsk kit is very streetable. I only have 5k's in mine, just set tighter to get more out of it. Makes it harder to drive on the street, but I shift around 5500 rpm when racing.

This is the tire I am going to. Just another option to look into.
http://www.mandhtires.com/12.00-16-Nostalgia#.VSVPYzpFDmI

Who makes a good set of 5k gsk? Haisleys? CDS? There is another company that does but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I like those slicks as well just wonder if anyone has some information on them maybe first hand?

That's what I was thinking as well but was unsure. I would think I would want a wider tire being a 2wd but again I don't know much about the setups.

Wheel not tire. The 10.5 should be plenty of tire.

No I know the wheel needs to be wider which I have found some. What I didn't know about was putting a 10.5" tire on a 12" wide wheel. If it would stretch it to much or what. I guess I had a brain fart been some long days here at work lol.

So I am going to go with the 16x12 and 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III. I have also looked into tire screws for the wheels. With that said would I need to put 16 on each rim? 8 on the outside and 8 on the inside? Or?

As for the tires I guess it's a toss up now between the M&H 31.5x12x16 and the MT 33x10.5x16. I want the one that will best benefit me while at the track with my truck. I would like to buy once and be done since they are fairly expensive on the web. I may can get them at a better price through my rim/tire guy but still I hate to have to double buy something/anything.

Back