drag tires

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
OK, I asked before about wheels and tires n got great info, but im curious.

If one were to get DOT slicks, how long r they going to last on the street?
I want some form of super single on my next dually, but 22.5 semi wheels r a bit much, there 40" tall! Then id need to get matching fronts to not look stupid, but thats just too big and way too much money. Does anyone make a heavy duty DOT slick? Noone to my knowledge has made any form of super single yet. I just love the look, i saw an early 90's chev dually with DOT slicks when i was in MD and it was sweet. Thanks guys,
Oh and if a HD slick is available n will last a decent life, what kind of load rating r we talking?

DOT drag tires are not street tires. They pick up nails easier, deflate rapidly, do not have the weight rating, and are dangerous in wet conditions, even sprinkler runoff can be a problem.

Summer days to and from the track perhaps, but as daily drivers they suck. Expect about 3000mi life from a typical DOT drag tire. I've driven with them extensively on the street, and do not recommend them.

If Nitto makes drag radial you can use, they have the best life and are the safest.

Biggest drag radial Nitto makes is 305/45/18 = 28.78x12.05 max load 2337@44psi. kinda short

I have 285/40R17's...only 26"...too short! Picked up over a second from the 19.5's, but run out of RPM with the stock cam. I can spin it to 5500RPM, but it won't make any power above 3250, and barely that high!

I'm looking for something in the 31" range now...and a cam:D
Chris

31" be about perfect for diesel pickups, and they should be at least 2400lb.

This puts the GVW at 9600 so you can use most trucks normally.

I've run the Nittos alot, and they aren't as good as a full race tire, but are better than a true street tire. They are "dual-purpose" race tires. They are treadwear 100, and true race rubber is >=60 treadwear.

the m/t I have on the lil red suck on the high way lots of sidewall walk in the track the simi's make on the high way no way would I have them on a daily driver

I've run the nittos down to the 12-14 pound range on my 2wd. It still takes a really good track to get them to hook up.. My best 60' with them is a 1.76, but the average is around high 1.9's to 2.0's on a somewhat decent track.

Back