Drive pressure gauge. Whats all involved?

oldsmokey97

Since i am running my 64/14 with the regular exhaust wheel..... i am pretty sure my drive pressures are through the roof.

What im asking is... what all goes into fabbing up a drive pressure gauge? Doesnt it use a regular boost gauge that has copper tubing for a while to dissapate the heat before it goes to the plastic tubing for the boost gauge.

am i TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY OFF BASE with this or what??

Lance

Never knew it was that simple...we have some NICE digital pressure readouts at work :evil

how far does the copper tubing need to be from the manifold to ensure that nothing will melt?

Lance

what kinda drive pressures yall think i got with my 64/14 at 55psi???

Also, how much Drive pressure is too much?

lance

if it get higher than that.......... what will happen?? Exhaust side of the turbo grenade or what??

just wonderin

Lance

So is there technically exhaust coming through the tube to the gauge?

Its hurting my head to think that's all that is needed.

I got a fitting to put into my manifold...about 6' of stainless tubing coiled up then an adaptor to switch to the plastic tubing and a 60 PSI gauge....that's al there is to it....except I still gotta get off my butt and hook it up. LOL

I use 1/8 inch copper tubing , the easest way is go to a auto parts store and get a oil pressure gauge kit . here is a data logger look at drive pressure

Attachments

• TEXAS MILE 161 F.jpg
    TEXAS MILE 161 F.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 77
the only thing i dont get is.............. how does the plastic not melt even with the tubing. Seems like it would still be hot as hell even after that all the way to the gauge.

Lance

or does the exhaust actually "push" against the air that is alread in the plastic tubing to move the gauge?

im sure it is something very elementary but im just not grasping it yet.

Lance

The only problem I can see would be heat soak getting the plastic to melt, you won't actually have exhaust gases flowing in the tube, just exerting pressure. Having said that I would stick with copper tubing, if it does start to leak a pair of pliers will fix it (crimp the tubing).

You could always plumb it through a cool can and just fill'er up with ice each morning before you took out

mor-65125.jpg

I've got about 3' of copper tube before it joins with the plastic tubing going to the gauge.

No melting or plugging after 6 months!

COMP461 said:
I use 1/8 inch copper tubing , the easest way is go to a auto parts store and get a oil pressure gauge kit . here is a data logger look at drive pressure
Negative. Its better to use larger tubing so it doesn't choke up with the sut.

I can touch the copper tubing at the firewall above the exhaust manifold and not feel any discomfort. I took the copper all the way over to the master cylinder and it is the same temp as the rest of the metal around it. The small tubing has plugged on me twice. After some high egt's it seems to clear out.

here is my drive pressure setup. Its 10' of 1/4" tube before the plastic tube. I have it stuck on a 100psi gauge and am getting around 1:1 with my setup running to 80psi. After 3 trips down the track, the plastic line already had a little tint from the soot.

Attachments

• twins1.jpg
    twins1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 82
Back