Drive Pressure

messed up? lol. brand new marine motor. runs better than ever. the spool from the new fletcher cam hits HARD and FAST. Fletcher did a great job with this build.

the top turbo is a 62/14 over a s480. thats whats wrong with my truck! I will be much better with a 66/16 when the dough comes in.

dont get all upset about it. 2:1 drive pressure with twins means one thing, your truck is running like ****. a 62/71/14 with dual 1" gates should goes well with an s480.

are you running a 62/65?

Find a port on the hot side piping, 1/8" pipe to 1/4" compression, 1/4" copper tubing, 1/4" pipe plastic air inline filter, 160psi tire gauge from amazon.com with a memory switch. Did this at the suggestion of Chris at ED. It's an awseome setup with memory, just press the release valve after a run to re-set to 0. The gauge is like $13 or so.

to be honest, with a single turbo and at the hp level you are running, I wouldnt get too worried about drive pressure. But if you are planning on spraying on that turbo, dont do it without an external gate, you will overspeed it in a hurry

I have been spraying it on the dyno that is why I am wanting to measure my drivepressure.

Turbo seems to love the laughin gas!:nos:

I have been spraying it on the dyno that is why I am wanting to measure my drivepressure.

Turbo seems to love the laughin gas!:nos:

Oh yeah,, it loves the gas,,,,, for a little bit. And when they dont like it anymore they make a big mess,,, lol somewheres on here is pics of the carnage of when mine went boom..... but drive pressure wasnt the issue, overspeeding from the nitrous was

Oh yeah,, it loves the gas,,,,, for a little bit. And when they dont like it anymore they make a big mess,,, lol somewheres on here is pics of the carnage of when mine went boom..... but drive pressure wasnt the issue, overspeeding from the nitrous was

can you use boost to estimate turbo speed, i refuse to spend the money on garretts speed sensor and drill a hole in my compressor housing.

Im only runnin 50 lbs of boost with n20 so I think my wheel speed should be fine for the bullet.

Im only runnin 50 lbs of boost with n20 so I think my wheel speed should be fine for the bullet.

You have GOT to have a boost leak somewhere.

I have a buddy of mine with a 12v with a silver bullet and the only other mods he has is 370's, 191 dv's, 4k gsk, and a #0 plate with a 180 pump and the stock rack plug and he is pushing 57psi out of his bullet.

Lance

you can take the wastegate actuator off a silver bullet and bairly make any boost, they come opening up at 40psi, most usually get 42 in the manifold. spraying on top of that might over run the gate a little and get up to 50ish

just get an adjustable elbow that goes between the comp. housing and the WG from tst or make your own and adjust the WG from there.

Lance

I think I am going to buy the Lazarsmith kit. Little on the high side, but don't need another hole in the manifold and it looks nice. I am sure I could make one look pretty lame. :bang

ProtoTIP.jpg

They are basically priced at cost, John - we make about $4.00 each, depending on the market price of 304SS... that's after 3 compression fittings & adapter, stainless Tee & nipple, tubing & soot filter, high-temp anti-seize, assembly, packing and shipping.

im sure you could find that t fitting cheap somewhere never thought of doin that

I don't know where you can find a cheap 304SS Tee!

I dont think you are going to get a good egt reading with that set up.

Actually, EGT gauge accuracy and response remains the same with that setup.

i dont either.

just run some copper line, coiled and youll be fine

We found that copper (a few weeks) or aluminum (a few days) tubing don't survive well in the CTD's harsh harmonic environment - that's why we make ours from 304SS... 50K miles on the original TIP kit.

Here's a TwinTip kit:

TwinTip.jpg

Primary coil is nestled behind the secondary hot pipe.

They are basically priced at cost, John - we make about $4.00 each, depending on the market price of 304SS... that's after 3 compression fittings & adapter, stainless Tee & nipple, tubing & soot filter, high-temp anti-seize, assembly, packing and shipping.

I don't know where you can find a cheap 304SS Tee!

Actually, EGT gauge accuracy and response remains the same with that setup.

We found that copper (a few weeks) or aluminum (a few days) tubing don't survive well in the CTD's harsh harmonic environment - that's why we make ours from 304SS... 50K miles on the original TIP kit.

Here's a TwinTip kit:

View attachment 16185

Primary coil is nestled behind the secondary hot pipe.

I did not mean I thought it was excessive. I just have to figure out where I am going to mount another gauge. LOL

Yeah, I know - just wanted to clarify for anyone who thinks they aren't getting their money's worth! :Cheer:

You could always put another gauge here:

Cowl.jpg

do you have any evidence that the pyro works just as well there? set up looks clean, thats for sure

you haven't made anything clear, you've said the product you make works.... thats not proof, thats just advertising.

Rollin Coal wrote:
i know it works, wheres the proof that the probe reads as well there?

Wow... dude - not sure how much clearer I can make it!

XLR8R,
I had you drive pressure gauge setup on my truck for a LONG time. Very very nice setup and looked awesome. The only problem i had with it is that most of the time it didnt work. This was due to the soot filter. I would pull it apart and clean it then i could get about two good hard runs on it and the filter would be plugged up again.
Other than that it was an awesome setup.
Could one take the filter out and run it and the gauge be alright or will it definately mess the gauge up?

Lance

Dang, I would've given you a new filter in Buda, Lance - I can't say they're required to protect the gauge (the condensate coil is the main buffer), since I've run without them for weeks on customers' trucks for testing & such and never hurt a gauge... but they probably can't hurt for long-term use, either. I know you have to be careful where you point the coil when you back flush the filter! :hehe:

I wouldn't hesitate to take out the soot filter and run it like that permanently - can't be any worse for the gauge than the engine oil (BTW - oil pressure gauges work really well as TIP gauges!)

Back