Drive shaft limit?

dangerous06

diesel tech
At what point does a 2 piece driveshaft become a ticking time bomb? Been running 700hp thru mine for years but my new build will be upwards of
800hp+ I was looking at it today and would hate the carrier bearing to rip free! Making a one piece is very long and looks like a twisler ready for the making!

I had a steel one piece built for my truck and it was so long that they could only get it to balance to 3k RPM, which put me at about 70, which is way too slow. I would think as long as you have good bearings and joints in it and service them properly holding 800+ should be no problem. If you go one piece go 5" Aluminum since it can balance out better than steel.

I believe the manual transmissions ones have heavier ujoints. I have seen the stock manual one take quite a bit of abuse. I would think you are fine at 800.

I believe the manual transmissions ones have heavier ujoints. I have seen the stock manual one take quite a bit of abuse. I would think you are fine at 800.

x2.
I know at least one guy who had a D80 with the manual transmission rear driveshaft setup (definitely larger OD than my D70 w/ auto driveshaft) that consistently ran 9's and well over 1000rwhp. No issues.
Keep in mind, the lesser the angle the better. AKA lifts are bad for this.

Back