Driveline noise during 2-3 shift

Dbordenb

With light acceleration I am hearing a clank noise from somewhere in the driveline. It only happens with light acceleration and between the 2nd and 3rd gear shift. With heavier acceleration it doesn't make the noise.

My transmission is a 48re that was recently built. I'm not sure if some noise is normal so I might just be chasing my tail here. What should I check first? U-joints?

I would start with all u-joints.

Do you have traction bars? If so, I would also consider getting them. The harsh shifting of a 47/48re transmission can cause quite a bit of axle wrap which can give you some strange noises in your driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start with all u-joints.

Do you have traction bars? If so, I would also consider getting them. The harsh shifting of a 47/48re transmission can cause quite a bit of axle wrap which can give you some strange noises in your driveline.

No, I don't currently have any traction bars but with that advice in mind, I will start looking for some. I will also check the u-joints this weekend.
I was worried it is a transmission noise or issue. Could it be something in the trans? I could take it back to the shop that built it but if I can fix it on my own that would be ideal.

I'd say it's likely not a transmission issue, but it's hard to say without driving it.

Older thread but I haven't been able to fix the strange noise.

I checked the u-joints and they all seem good. I recently got traction bars and they helped but didn't completely end the noise, just made it a little quieter. If I accelerate hard there is no noise at all. If I am lightly accelerating it makes a little clunk but the shift is firm feels strong.

Any other ideas or is it normal and nothing to worry about?

Back