driveline slop

soturi

found this thread:

Help diagnose where the slop is.. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

not really sure this ever got solved? i have the *exact* same lash. no carrier bearing, and i just replaced bearings/seals in the nv271. u joints are next on the list, but it seems like entirely too much "wiggle" to be u joints only.

the t-case shift lever visibly shifts an inch or two when the truck jolts forward/backward from the lash, so something under there is wiggling a chit-ton. i replaced the tranny mount, no change. motor mounts are next (w/ the u-joints, eh?), but i'm not sure that will solve it either.

ideas?

7inch: the '96 or the '07? just wondering if it's a generational thing...

3rd Gens are more susceptible to axle wrap - the spring eye mounts are 4" further apart and leaves are heavier... makes for a better ride & higher load capacity, but also allows greater torque-induced leaf pack deflection.

interesting. but if that's my particular problem, that would mean the leaves are pretty much always slightly deflected while i'm cruising down the street.

example: if i'm in 5th, rolling happy at 45 and then quickly let off the go pedal completely, the truck will buck me forward like you would expect from a system with sloppy gears... then jerk me back when i re-push the accelerator. if i'm in 3rd going 15mph, i can push and release the accelerator a few times in a row and buck the truck like it's a damn rodeo ride...

just doesn't seem like axle wrap to me. now, the shudder when i start from a standstill? possible wrap - but the slop is (i think) a separate issue entirely.

Back