Driving with a filled block

c_houchins8_182

Pertains to an upcoming build I am doing. Planning on doing this to the engine for all the obvious reasons, i.e. strength etc. How touchy are engines that are filled as far as heat, etc. goes. This is actually going to be a gas powered 2WD puller. Am I going to constantly be starting and shutting it down in the tech line or am I alright to let it sit for 10-15 minutes at a time? Obviously running it for long periods of time is out of the question. Thanks in advance.

Mine warms up pretty fast. Just keep an eye on oil temps. I wouldn't run it any longer then you have to at any give time. The hotter mine gets the worse it seem to run. Our alky engine never gets started till its next to run. Runs and is shut down. No driving around

Last edited:
What would you say is too hot for oil temp? Everything I've had up to this point I've never needed to monitor it and this will be my first time. I'm right on the edge of where a factory block may/may not hold and it's either fill it or go with an aftermarket. Just hoping to not need to go with an aftermarket because I don't want to have take a quad or side by side with me everywhere and have someone to pull me around everywhere.

220+ When I was building circle track engines we tried to keep them under 200, Preferably 180ish. There is a whole debate as to when oil starts to break down and at what temp.

Last edited:
220+ When I was building circle track engines we tried to keep them under 200, Preferably 180ish. There is a whole debate as to when oil starts to break down and at what temp.

I agree with the 180 mark. I only let the oil in mine get up above 180 once this past year and you could tell there was distinct difference in the viscosity afterwards.

I agree with the 180 mark. I only let the oil in mine get up above 180 once this past year and you could tell there was distinct difference in the viscosity afterwards.

Where are your reference oil temps being taken? Oil filter head or pan or ?

Thanks,

What temp do you guys typically start your runs at and how many degrees do they heat up during a single pass?
On my diesel I let it run till my oil is about 100* and by the end of the run its 180-200 depending on how hot it is outside
Where are your reference oil temps being taken? Oil filter head or pan or ?

Thanks,

Filter housing. I figured it's coming right out of the pan so its should be with in a couple degrees of the pan temp

Not cummins, but in my wife's grand cherokee 5.7 hemi the oil temp stays right with the coolant at about 192*F.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Does it really start breaking down that cool? My stock 7.3 runs about 216* going down the road, and Lake Speed Jr. At joe Gibbs told me theirs was tested up to 300*

On my diesel I let it run till my oil is about 100* and by the end of the run its 180-200 depending on how hot it is outside

Filter housing. I figured it's coming right out of the pan so its should be with in a couple degrees of the pan temp

I log mine at the same spot. I usually left the line around 80-90 degrees and rarely would see anymore than 160 at the end of the track. Id start mine right when the truck before me started to spool. Id shut it down right after a run and ran an electric fan on the motor. The oil would cool down pretty well.

Does it really start breaking down that cool? My stock 7.3 runs about 216* going down the road, and Lake Speed Jr. At joe Gibbs told me theirs was tested up to 300*

That's the great debate. I've read some places say it starts to break down at 250* and some say over 300*. Anything over 220* and mine puts a lot out the blow-by tubes. I think it depends on the type of oil for one.

That makes sense, that's the whole reason I called Gibbs when I was running their oil, I don't remember the temps he told me they saw, but somewhere close to 300 and screaming away for hours is apparently no issue with theirs.

Agree. I never really compared what others are use to seeing but it's good info to know. I have a type k thermocouple in my filter head also. Based off a non filled daily driven 1000hp street truck. I see on average oil temps of 220F ish with coolant hovering at 200F. From a cold start my logs and analog gauges show a very consistent and parallel temp rise between the coolant & oil. They follow each other almost to the degree up till when the coolant operating temp reaches 195-200F. Then oil temps will continue to rise to the 215 to 220F range and stays there. This is medium load if I hit WOT for some good duration it can see 230F which comes down quickly when you get out of it.

I measure my heat at the oil filter as well. I usually drove it up to scale and to line but only ran it as long as I had to and didn't screw around. I tried different starting temps and seemed to always gain 30-40* from what I started at, which is less than others but I attribute that to having an oil pan that holds 5.5 gallons of oil. I ussualy did start the truck right when the guy before me was getting spooled up just invade we had to have a pull off but never did. The hottest I ever saw was 160* and that was from a truck malfunction before me causing it to idle up to 130*

FYI When I asked my motor builder about what oils to run he recommended running synthetic if I was ever worried about oil temps causing the oil to break down. He claimed that the synthetic oil held up to the heat better than conventional oil does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI When I asked my motor builder about what oils to run he recommended running synthetic if I was ever worried about oil temps causing the oil to break down. He claimed that the synthetic oil held up to the heat better than conventional oil does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like synthetic personally but I've heard that as well.

I want to have my oil above 180 all the time, if it is colder it starts to go bad soon, collecting water, fuel and other crap. 250 F is ok for even the crappiest oil, 300 and more for better oils.

That's the great debate. I've read some places say it starts to break down at 250* and some say over 300*. Anything over 220* and mine puts a lot out the blow-by tubes. I think it depends on the type of oil for one.

It depends on your engine, liners are done.

Back