Dropping FSS hold voltage

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
Fired up the '96 the other day and it died after about 10 minutes of idling..

Refired, died again after about 1 minute. Then started only trying to run on starter. Checked #9 fuse, good. Let it sit overnight, refired in the AM, and died after about 5 minutes.

Unplug FSS connector and probe voltage, and I'm showing 5-7mv on the hold circuit. After a period of time, I heard some relays click underhood and voltage came back to normal. Started it up, and died again in a few minutes. Rinse and repeat. Drops voltage on hold circuit, but #9 fuse hole still shows battery voltage while this is happening. Hoping someone has an idea where to start looking for this.

Check the relay on the firewall, by the master cylinder best I remember.

The relay on the firewall is for pull-up. Swap the relay in the PDC with another relay. I can’t remember from my ‘95, but I think it’s the one labeled ASD (Automatic Shut Down), but it could be the one labeled Fuel System.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AFD9317A-FCCD-4B46-9672-4000CCD98B6A.jpeg
    AFD9317A-FCCD-4B46-9672-4000CCD98B6A.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have swapped all of those around, and nothing changes.. with truck running I can remove all of them and it still runs.

According to the factory manual, the feed wire for hold runs from fuse 9, through several splices, but not through any relay. Going to try cleaning some grounds tonight and see if anything changes.

Back