Dsp2 & dsp5

MotoCraneGuy17

Junkyard Dog
I have a question regarding DSP2 & DSP5 switches. I have a LBZ Duramax that I have loaded a tow tune into with EFI Live. I would like to switch back and forth between an economy tune I have (when DD'ing and the tow tune when, of course towing.) So I really only need a DSP2? It is my understanding that when I upgrade my OS to a DSP OS, I do so with the stock tune file, and load the alternate tune which modifies the first one (stock that was the full reflash) So in essesnce I would need a 3 position (theory) switch capable of swtiching between stock (base that economy and tow tunes use to modify,) economy, tow. There are several different scenarios here that I could ask, but you get the idea of what I'm asking here. I understand how to upgrade the OS, but basically how do you select which tune is assigned to which # setting.

Thanks,

Andrew

You will need a 2 position switch. What happens when you upgrade a tune to a DSP is what follows...
The tune that you originally upgraded will be the base tune. From there you have 4 (in the case of a DSP 5) or 1 (DSP2) other "DSP Programs," these are your other tunes where you can make adjustments. The DSP Programs only let you adjust 15 tables, the rest is pulled from the base tune. Each DSP program is assigned a certain voltage, when the voltage changes, the tune changes.

Hope this helps.

Yea. I think I got it now. I would upgrade with my Economy tune as the base, then load the tow tune as a DSP tune (modifying the Economy tune (base tune) as long as more than 15 tables aren't modified ).

My only remaining question is, it sounds like a DSP 5 switch be better since I would load stock as a base tune, then have economy, tow, etc... That way my 2nd and 3rd and so on tunes aren't limited to the base tune that might already be geared to something totally different. I.e. Trying to create a performance tune while modifying tables off an base economy that has a bunch of tables already modified hindering the performance tune.

Sorry for being long winded, but the help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

A lot of guys run the biggest tune as their base because big tunes usually free up a lot of the limiting tables that can't be found under the DSP programs. I would go with the DSP5 over the 2 simply because it is something with which you can do a lot more.

Below is a picture of what a DSP 5 looks like. Under "Engine Operation" is where all the tables are for the base tune. Under "EFILive Custom Calibrations" you find "DSP Programs" 1 through 4. And Under "DSP Program" you find all the tables you modify to make the DSP tune for that position. What we are looking at here would be tune "2" since the base tune is used as position "1."
Base= Tune 1
DSP 1=Tune 2
DSP 2=Tune 3
So on...

Attachments

• DSP.jpg
    DSP.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I understand now and makes perfect sense how you explained it. Thank you very much! I just need to learn how to load up DSP tunes on top of the base tune and assign it to a designated #. Any links or resources on that?

I understand now and makes perfect sense how you explained it. Thank you very much! I just need to learn how to load up DSP tunes on top of the base tune and assign it to a designated #. Any links or resources on that?

Basically once you upgrade to a DSP OS, you just open up the tune you want assigned to the DSP and copy and paste the tables.

There is a really good write up on how to do it in EFI itself. Open up EFILive, go to Help>Tutorials>DSP5 Upgrade Tutorial.

A lot of guys run the biggest tune as their base because big tunes usually free up a lot of the limiting tables that can't be found under the DSP programs. I would go with the DSP5 over the 2 simply because it is something with which you can do a lot more.

Below is a picture of what a DSP 5 looks like. Under "Engine Operation" is where all the tables are for the base tune. Under "EFILive Custom Calibrations" you find "DSP Programs" 1 through 4. And Under "DSP Program" you find all the tables you modify to make the DSP tune for that position. What we are looking at here would be tune "2" since the base tune is used as position "1."
Base= Tune 1
DSP 1=Tune 2
DSP 2=Tune 3
So on...

Is there a way you can choose which 15 tables are modified out of the Base tune? I see the same tables in the pic you included are the same under my DSP folders #1-4 are.

And, if I wanted to change my Base tune later down the road, do I simply do another OS upgrade for that particular tune and start over?
One last thing, to return to stock OS, all I have to do is flash my Stock tune (w/ stock OS) right?

Thank ya much.

Is there a way you can choose which 15 tables are modified out of the Base tune? I see the same tables in the pic you included are the same under my DSP folders #1-4 are.

And, if I wanted to change my Base tune later down the road, do I simply do another OS upgrade for that particular tune and start over?
One last thing, to return to stock OS, all I have to do is flash my Stock tune (w/ stock OS) right?

Thank ya much.

Those 15 tables in the DSP folders are the ones with which you are stuck. If you want to make modifications to your base tune, all you have to do is change the tables and do a quick reflash. If you would like to make a different single tune into a DSP base, you would have to upgrade the OS correct. And to return to the stock OS, yes do a Full flash with the stock OS tune.

If you would like, send me your tune and I'll help you through it.

Much appreciated DmaxHawk! Just wanted to confirm my thoughts before I did a full flash on my 'ol Man's LBZ. I'm installing a DSP5 switch and I spent all last night setting up the Base Tune and modifying DSP#1 and #2. Since I didn't touch #3 and #4, they are populated with the stock tables and I shouldn't have to do anything with #3 and #4 since I'm not gonna use them. Right?

And can you switch between tunes on-the-fly? Or do you have to have the engine off and key on?

Much appreciated DmaxHawk! Just wanted to confirm my thoughts before I did a full flash on my 'ol Man's LBZ. I'm installing a DSP5 switch and I spent all last night setting up the Base Tune and modifying DSP#1 and #2. Since I didn't touch #3 and #4, they are populated with the stock tables and I shouldn't have to do anything with #3 and #4 since I'm not gonna use them. Right?

And can you switch between tunes on-the-fly? Or do you have to have the engine off and key on?

Thats right, you do not need to mess with them.

You can shift on the fly, no need to turn engine off.

Back